Author Topic: THEORY: Everyone is where Jacob needs them to be  (Read 7553 times)

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: THEORY: Everyone is where Jacob needs them to be
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 06:11:35 PM »
found it kind of cool that losts original idea creator based the show off of the game "myst" has anyone ever played this and does anyone know its similarities....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst
I have the game on my iPhone, but I found it too time-consuming to play...

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 08:45:45 PM »
found it kind of cool that losts original idea creator based the show off of the game "myst" has anyone ever played this and does anyone know its similarities....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst

Old PC game. Played it years ago. It was easily the hardest puzzle game I had ever played. Didn't even come close to finishing it. I can see some vague connections to Lost, but I wouldn't go to it for some major insights.
I played Myst a long time.  There's actually Myst the first game of a series also called Myst, which has like five games.  I've only played the first two, but I'll only describe the first game since it's the one that seems relevant.  From what I remember, you find a mysterious book and touch it and end up in another world, which is an other-worldly island.  You explore the island, and find a red book and a blue book.  There is a trapped brother in each book who try to communicate with you, but you need to find pages for their corresponding books.  They each accuse the other brother of murdering their father.  Their father had the ability to write "linking" books which could transport people to other "Ages" or worlds.  You find more linking books and travel to new worlds to find pages to try to figure out which brother is lying.  At the end of the game, you find the last pages for each book, which will free one of the brother's from their imprisonment.

Spoiler
You'll also find a green book which both brothers tell you not to touch or else you'll be trapped in there.  No matter which brother you free, you'll take his place trapped in the book and he'll be free, and I think he'll mock you as he watches you trapped inside.  But if you open the green book, you'll find their dad alive and trapped.  Freeing him gives you the good ending.

So I guess the main similarities would be that I think each area of Myst is a new island.  And there are mysterious buildings like a lighthouse and stuff.  Myst has two trapped brothers, although it's not clear if Jacob is trapped.  One brother is calm and haughty while the other seems more psychotic from what I remember.  And depending on how the series progresses, there could be more similarities as well.  Would be funny if the key to the ending of Lost was the ending of Myst.

I loved that game.  I thought it was so fun.  I played it years and years ago and then bought it again about five years ago.  After passing it I sold it on Ebay but now you have me wanting to play it again.  I wish I still had it.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2010, 03:20:27 AM »
That's why I never sell any games.  I know I'll eventually want to play them again.  I've been meaning to check out the realMyst version, which is a true 3D update.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 08:52:05 PM »
I am becoming more and more convinced that what the Sideways World is is a bargaining chip for MIB - you give me your soul/allegiance and I will give you the life you always wanted.  This is the story of Dr. Faust and Mephisto - I am beginning to think that is even a better name for UnLocke!

Offline Angus

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2010, 09:59:25 PM »
Laklost- love that theory- it'd explain MIB being able to tell Claire he can get her baby back and that he can get Nadia back for Sayid.  I think BrianIsLost said something similar and I agree that out of these two time lines, only one will exist permanently.  They might have to choose between which one they keep.  "You have a choice"

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2010, 01:05:23 PM »
I am becoming more and more convinced that what the Sideways World is is a bargaining chip for MIB - you give me your soul/allegiance and I will give you the life you always wanted.  This is the story of Dr. Faust and Mephisto - I am beginning to think that is even a better name for UnLocke!
Bingo.  I love it.  Consider me a subscriber to this theory.  You do you know, however, that I am going to pitch this to all my friends as my own idea.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:07:04 PM by BrianIsLost2 »

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2010, 01:24:07 PM »
Bingo.  I love it.  Consider me a subscriber to this theory.  You do you know, however, that I am going to pitch this to all my friends as my own idea.   ;)

Is it only for certain people though? Because the Sideways World doesn't seem too great for some of the Losties: Sayid & Kate.  I mean, Nadia is back in Sayid's life...as a sister in law. And Kate is still a fugitive...

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2010, 01:59:29 PM »

Is it only for certain people though? Because the Sideways World doesn't seem too great for some of the Losties: Sayid & Kate.  I mean, Nadia is back in Sayid's life...as a sister in law. And Kate is still a fugitive...

Yeah, I just posted this (probably in too much length) in another thread.  Summing up: Jack is distant with his son and separated from his son's mother, probably still a recovering alcoholic with a mother who offers him drinks and a dead father;  Locke is still in a wheelchair, fired, and has to take a temp job teaching Phys Ed and Sex to healthy horny teenagers; Claire is dumped by her baby's adoptive parents and is alone in a foreign country knowing noone but Kate(!); Sun and Jin may not be married and Jin so far has been detained at the airport and, even worse, Keamy's;  Sayid is watching his love live her life with his ass of a brother and is forced to kill once again to save him; Kate is still in trouble and running.  Hurley seems to be the only one without problems so far.

Yeah, I think I might choose the island myself.  The wildlife and natives are unpredictable, but you can't beat the beaches!   ;D

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2010, 02:30:34 PM »

Yeah, I just posted this (probably in too much length) in another thread.  Summing up: Jack is distant with his son and separated from his son's mother, probably still a recovering alcoholic with a mother who offers him drinks and a dead father;  Locke is still in a wheelchair, fired, and has to take a temp job teaching Phys Ed and Sex to healthy horny teenagers; Claire is dumped by her baby's adoptive parents and is alone in a foreign country knowing noone but Kate(!); Sun and Jin may not be married and Jin so far has been detained at the airport and, even worse, Keamy's;  Sayid is watching his love live her life with his ass of a brother and is forced to kill once again to save him; Kate is still in trouble and running.  Hurley seems to be the only one without problems so far.

Yeah, I think I might choose the island myself.  The wildlife and natives are unpredictable, but you can't beat the beaches!   ;D
Right.  I would say that MIB's pitch is "whatever you want, you got it".  But it would end up being a be-careful-what-you-wish-for kind of thing.  Oh, Sayid, you want Naydia in your life?  You got it.  By the way, she's banging your brother.  Kate, you feel guilty about the taking Aaron thing, no problem I can reverse that.  Oh, I forgot to tell you though, you're still running from the law.

MIB is playing these people for total suckers and he is going to use the X timeline to bait them.  Sawyer isn't going to fall for it though.  You can't con that guy.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 02:40:07 PM by BrianIsLost2 »

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 03:17:34 PM »
Update on Hurley:  Maybe he feels lucky in this timeline because everyone around him isn't dying, but he's still a big guy and maybe it's HIS number that's up!  He might have a Mr. Cluck's chicken leg travelling through his bloodstream about to hit his heart! 

(Forgive me, Hurley fans, I've got a doctor's appointment tonight and I know he's gonna yell at me about my cholesterol, so I'm just projecting here!)   :(

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2010, 03:41:38 PM »
Update on Hurley:  Maybe he feels lucky in this timeline because everyone around him isn't dying, but he's still a big guy and maybe it's HIS number that's up!  He might have a Mr. Cluck's chicken leg travelling through his bloodstream about to hit his heart! 

(Forgive me, Hurley fans, I've got a doctor's appointment tonight and I know he's gonna yell at me about my cholesterol, so I'm just projecting here!)   :(
Just make sure to come back and give Hurley a better outlook when the doctor says you'll be fine!  ;) (And good luck with that!)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2010, 10:22:47 AM »

Just make sure to come back and give Hurley a better outlook when the doctor says you'll be fine!  ;) (And good luck with that!)

Update:  A little change in diet and my numbers are way down!  And without medication!  Now if we can get Hurley to stay away from the jugs of ranch dressing, he may have a chance!   ;D

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2010, 01:40:25 PM »

Update:  A little change in diet and my numbers are way down!  And without medication!  Now if we can get Hurley to stay away from the jugs of ranch dressing, he may have a chance!   ;D
;D  Well done lostfan!

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2010, 01:54:36 PM »

;D  Well done lostfan!

It ain't easy!  Remember back when they discovered the Dharma food supply in the hatch?  Everyone came here with their theories and ideas about the food drops and all I could think was, 'Man, I gotta get a stockroom like that!'

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »

;D  Well done lostfan!

It ain't easy!  Remember back when they discovered the Dharma food supply in the hatch?  Everyone came here with their theories and ideas about the food drops and all I could think was, 'Man, I gotta get a stockroom like that!'
Isn't that what everyone's pantry looks like?  ;D