Author Topic: THEORY: Everyone is where Jacob needs them to be  (Read 6832 times)

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: THEORY: Everyone is where Jacob needs them to be
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »
I can't wait for the video game of LOST...

Choose your player: Jacob or MIB.

Objective: To get as many people on your side before the final battle begans...

:)

That would be totally awesome!

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 06:30:21 PM »
Unfortunately, all we got is that damn platform game ripoff...

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 07:03:51 PM »
found it kind of cool that losts original idea creator based the show off of the game "myst" has anyone ever played this and does anyone know its similarities....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myst

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 08:40:54 PM »
Currently, this is a bit of a half-assed theory, but I am thinking that those that Jacob touched are exactly where he needs them to be including Sayid.

Jacob specifically got Jack and Hurley out of the Temple, but didn't prevent Kate from going back in when Hurley and Jack ran into her on their trek to the Lighthouse.  Jacob did not tell Hurley to take Sayid even though he knew something bad was coming.  Sun is with Ilana (one of Jacob's peeps) while Jin is "behind enemy lines" in Claire's camp.  Sawyer is... well, who the hell knows where Sawyer is (this could be a slight hole in all of this).  But Sawyer has already acknowledged that Locke ain't Locke.

To me, it just seems that Jacob is only moving his chess pieces (those he touched) when he specifically has to (ie, Hurley and Jack).  Thoughts?
I dunno if you could call it where they need to be because that's part of the plan as a whole or a contingency, for if this fails, then this falls into place...
But I think we get a clearer picture of what is going on...
Smocke/Flocke/Mib/Locke what ever you want to call him...wants to get home, we know that for a fact, where that is, is not important right now, I know to some it is, but for the big picture, it is NOT. OK so we know that part MiB wants to go home, he has also been making promises to a few so far, told, Sawyer don't you want to go home, Claire obviously wants Aaron back so we assume thats what he promised her, and now Sayid is promised to have Nadia in exchange for his help. Obviously his help was to kill Dogen and get in the temple, even that seems a bit unclear at the point, but it is what it is.
So lets change our thought for a second and think about the flash sideways. What's is going on in this world of what "would" have happened if the bomb went off and the plane had not crashed. What do we have?! No island and no Jacob! So in the flash sideways Jack seems to be having a pretty good life now with his son David, Claire seems to be wanting to keep Aaron, Kate is running like she likes(which is still kind iffy but thats all we got right now) and now Sayid seems to  get the relationship with Nadia that he wanted. So in essence, MiB won in the flash sideways. His promises fullfilled...our losties get what they want, or think they get what they want.
So back on the island MiB is promising the things we see in the flash sideways...but it's not over, we still have Jack and Hurley, maybe Sawyer(we don't know the effects MiB has had yet) Jacob still has a chance, maybe, or maybe this is where the two start to connect(time lines)...what would have happened and what is being promised by MiB...that's all I got at this point, thanks for reading...that was my little epiphany moment  :o  ;D

Aaaaand let me just say, about all the other mysteries...the ash, the donkey wheel, the healing pool...and any other mystery you just cant wrap your head around. It's a show!!! Did you expect an explanation of how the hyperdrive worked on Star Was, or the lightsaber? Or the Force for that matter? NO!! we don't need it, because thats part of what makes it great, its fiction and its just accepted in the story, just like the donkey wheel is just part of the island, it's there it works...the ash, yeah if we actually had some ash and a hyperdrive, oh what a wonderful place our world would be...

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 08:44:36 PM »
found it kind of cool that losts original idea creator based the show off of the game "myst" has anyone ever played this and does anyone know its similarities....

Old PC game. Played it years ago. It was easily the hardest puzzle game I had ever played. Didn't even come close to finishing it. I can see some vague connections to Lost, but I wouldn't go to it for some major insights.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2010, 10:48:23 PM »
Currently, this is a bit of a half-assed theory, but I am thinking that those that Jacob touched are exactly where he needs them to be including Sayid.

Jacob specifically got Jack and Hurley out of the Temple, but didn't prevent Kate from going back in when Hurley and Jack ran into her on their trek to the Lighthouse.  Jacob did not tell Hurley to take Sayid even though he knew something bad was coming.  Sun is with Ilana (one of Jacob's peeps) while Jin is "behind enemy lines" in Claire's camp.  Sawyer is... well, who the hell knows where Sawyer is (this could be a slight hole in all of this).  But Sawyer has already acknowledged that Locke ain't Locke.

To me, it just seems that Jacob is only moving his chess pieces (those he touched) when he specifically has to (ie, Hurley and Jack).  Thoughts?
I dunno if you could call it where they need to be because that's part of the plan as a whole or a contingency, for if this fails, then this falls into place...
But I think we get a clearer picture of what is going on...
Smocke/Flocke/Mib/Locke what ever you want to call him...wants to get home, we know that for a fact, where that is, is not important right now, I know to some it is, but for the big picture, it is NOT. OK so we know that part MiB wants to go home, he has also been making promises to a few so far, told, Sawyer don't you want to go home, Claire obviously wants Aaron back so we assume thats what he promised her, and now Sayid is promised to have Nadia in exchange for his help. Obviously his help was to kill Dogen and get in the temple, even that seems a bit unclear at the point, but it is what it is.
So lets change our thought for a second and think about the flash sideways. What's is going on in this world of what "would" have happened if the bomb went off and the plane had not crashed. What do we have?! No island and no Jacob! So in the flash sideways Jack seems to be having a pretty good life now with his son David, Claire seems to be wanting to keep Aaron, Kate is running like she likes(which is still kind iffy but thats all we got right now) and now Sayid seems to  get the relationship with Nadia that he wanted. So in essence, MiB won in the flash sideways. His promises fullfilled...our losties get what they want, or think they get what they want.
So back on the island MiB is promising the things we see in the flash sideways...but it's not over, we still have Jack and Hurley, maybe Sawyer(we don't know the effects MiB has had yet) Jacob still has a chance, maybe, or maybe this is where the two start to connect(time lines)...what would have happened and what is being promised by MiB...that's all I got at this point, thanks for reading...that was my little epiphany moment  :o  ;D

Aaaaand let me just say, about all the other mysteries...the ash, the donkey wheel, the healing pool...and any other mystery you just cant wrap your head around. It's a show!!! Did you expect an explanation of how the hyperdrive worked on Star Was, or the lightsaber? Or the Force for that matter? NO!! we don't need it, because thats part of what makes it great, its fiction and its just accepted in the story, just like the donkey wheel is just part of the island, it's there it works...the ash, yeah if we actually had some ash and a hyperdrive, oh what a wonderful place our world would be...
WHAT???  The Force is a by-product of Midi-chlorians... microscopic life-forms that reside within the cells of all living things and communicate with the Force. They are symbionts with all other living things and without them life could not exist. The Jedi have learned how to listen to and coordinate the midi-chlorians. In order to be a Jedi or a Sith, one must have a high enough concentration of midi-chlorians in one's cells. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_(Star_Wars))  I thought everyone wanted to know this!   ;)

(Yes... I am kidding.)

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2010, 11:30:51 PM »
...and that is a very good point! They did tell us about that...4 or 5 movies later...but as for the first(episode 4) Star Wars, we really didn't need it...;)

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 04:34:42 AM »
...and that is a very good point! They did tell us about that...4 or 5 movies later...but as for the first(episode 4) Star Wars, we really didn't need it...;)
Yeah, I think I would have been good without it when they finally told us.  Obi-Wan's description in the first movie was sufficient enough.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »

Offline Walkabout V.2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »

I think the real question is everyone where they want to be? I have watched this epi 4 times and I think free will, through manipulation or not, has people moving in specific directions of their choosing. Kate walked through what was left of the Temple and it's inhabitants and only stopped to grab a rifle. She clearly has chosen her path but is it where she will want to be? The same goes for Lapedus, Miles, the Kwons, Sayid, Sawyer and even Ben. Jacob really only really pushed( moved) Hugo and Jack. Did anyone else notice that Ilana was only interested in the whereabouts of Sawyer and Jin and brushed off the whole Kate issue. Also, it appeared as if she had knowledge of Sayid's action because she was trying to stop Ben from chasing after him.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 03:21:28 AM »

I think the real question is everyone where they want to be? I have watched this epi 4 times and I think free will, through manipulation or not, has people moving in specific directions of their choosing. Kate walked through what was left of the Temple and it's inhabitants and only stopped to grab a rifle. She clearly has chosen her path but is it where she will want to be? The same goes for Lapedus, Miles, the Kwons, Sayid, Sawyer and even Ben. Jacob really only really pushed( moved) Hugo and Jack. Did anyone else notice that Ilana was only interested in the whereabouts of Sawyer and Jin and brushed off the whole Kate issue. Also, it appeared as if she had knowledge of Sayid's action because she was trying to stop Ben from chasing after him.
I think this may be the crux of the entire debate.  Going back to the discussion that Jacob and MiB had in the season finale last year, Jacob brings them to the island, but it "always ends the same."  It seems to me that Jacob is putting them in their places and giving them a chance to prove MiB wrong... time and time again.  However, this time, the stakes are raised as it may be Jacob's last hurrah to be proven right.

Of course, that concept may run in contrast to the deeds that Sayid did at the end of the last episode (killing Dogen and Lennon).  That seems to fit the MiB's description of how it always ends much more that I would guess Jacob would want.  Does that mean Sayid failed the test?  Or was Sayid too far gone and not really part of Jacob's equation any more?

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2010, 11:28:23 AM »

Old PC game. Played it years ago. It was easily the hardest puzzle game I had ever played. Didn't even come close to finishing it. I can see some vague connections to Lost, but I wouldn't go to it for some major insights.
I played Myst a long time.  There's actually Myst the first game of a series also called Myst, which has like five games.  I've only played the first two, but I'll only describe the first game since it's the one that seems relevant.  From what I remember, you find a mysterious book and touch it and end up in another world, which is an other-worldly island.  You explore the island, and find a red book and a blue book.  There is a trapped brother in each book who try to communicate with you, but you need to find pages for their corresponding books.  They each accuse the other brother of murdering their father.  Their father had the ability to write "linking" books which could transport people to other "Ages" or worlds.  You find more linking books and travel to new worlds to find pages to try to figure out which brother is lying.  At the end of the game, you find the last pages for each book, which will free one of the brother's from their imprisonment.

Spoiler
You'll also find a green book which both brothers tell you not to touch or else you'll be trapped in there.  No matter which brother you free, you'll take his place trapped in the book and he'll be free, and I think he'll mock you as he watches you trapped inside.  But if you open the green book, you'll find their dad alive and trapped.  Freeing him gives you the good ending.

So I guess the main similarities would be that I think each area of Myst is a new island.  And there are mysterious buildings like a lighthouse and stuff.  Myst has two trapped brothers, although it's not clear if Jacob is trapped.  One brother is calm and haughty while the other seems more psychotic from what I remember.  And depending on how the series progresses, there could be more similarities as well.  Would be funny if the key to the ending of Lost was the ending of Myst.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 04:58:16 PM by Maxor127 »

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 02:21:24 PM »
I only played the first edition of that game and I loved it!  That was back during a very 'hazy' period of my life   ::), so I don't remember the whole story   ???, but I remember I loved it!   ;D

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 04:40:40 PM »
Wow, throw in a smoke monster and we may be on to something!   ;D