Author Topic: THEORY: Everyone is where Jacob needs them to be  (Read 7259 times)

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
THEORY: Everyone is where Jacob needs them to be
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:29:34 AM »
Currently, this is a bit of a half-assed theory, but I am thinking that those that Jacob touched are exactly where he needs them to be including Sayid.

Jacob specifically got Jack and Hurley out of the Temple, but didn't prevent Kate from going back in when Hurley and Jack ran into her on their trek to the Lighthouse.  Jacob did not tell Hurley to take Sayid even though he knew something bad was coming.  Sun is with Ilana (one of Jacob's peeps) while Jin is "behind enemy lines" in Claire's camp.  Sawyer is... well, who the hell knows where Sawyer is (this could be a slight hole in all of this).  But Sawyer has already acknowledged that Locke ain't Locke.

To me, it just seems that Jacob is only moving his chess pieces (those he touched) when he specifically has to (ie, Hurley and Jack).  Thoughts?

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: THEORY: Everyone is where Jacob needs them to be
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:36:13 AM »
Holland buddy!!! I like your theory and I agree about the chess playing analogy. Made me think that in the end all thus was just a big game between Jacob and MIB and how depressing it would be if all the Losties and other peeps were all just pawns and really didn't mean a thing to either of them. I'm sure that isn't the case. At least I hope not!  Well MIB doesn't give a rats arse but wouldn't it suck if Jacib really didn't either? It's late!  I need sleep!!!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 04:38:01 AM by KoKoNut »

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 05:46:12 AM »
He doesn't. He only cares about his plan, whatever that is. And MIB seems to have the upper hand now (more people), but Jacob has his ace (Jack).

Offline DaveJohnson

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:21:14 AM »
I just might add.. it's a pretty typical literary trope - the enemy ascendant, only to suffer that much greater a fall  ;)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:28:49 AM »
I don't think Sawyer is a hole in your theory, I think he is where he needs to be also.  He is currently out of the way and MIB thinks he is on his side, but Sawyer is a con man and I think he will end up playing the long con on MIB.  Imagine Jack, standing against and struggling with the MIB at the end, and along comes Sawyer playing the double agent to tip the scale against MIB!  It would be ironic if Jack gets to be the hero, but only with the help of, and maybe sacrifice of, Sawyer.

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 01:27:58 PM »
Yes!  This is what I've been saying ever since Jacob was killed.  I'm with you Holland!!  Jacob has been putting his chess pieces in place for a long time now.  He knows what he is doing.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 02:12:07 PM »
Imagine Jack, standing against and struggling with the MIB at the end, and along comes Sawyer playing the double agent to tip the scale against MIB!  It would be ironic if Jack gets to be the hero, but only with the help of, and maybe sacrifice of, Sawyer.
I can't help but think of Han Solo coming out of no where to blast a TIE fighter at the last moment and give Luke the opening he needed to blow up the Death Star.  Not a perfect analogy, but sort of works.  :)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 02:21:18 PM »
Imagine Jack, standing against and struggling with the MIB at the end, and along comes Sawyer playing the double agent to tip the scale against MIB!  It would be ironic if Jack gets to be the hero, but only with the help of, and maybe sacrifice of, Sawyer.
I can't help but think of Han Solo coming out of no where to blast a TIE fighter at the last moment and give Luke the opening he needed to blow up the Death Star.  Not a perfect analogy, but sort of works.  :)

So does this make Hurley Chewbacca?   ???

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 02:35:06 PM »

So does this make Hurley Chewbacca?   ???
LOL!  I like it!

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 03:14:44 PM »
I like your comparison to a chess game.  It makes Jacob's willingness for the temple folk to meet their demise much easier to take.  In chess you have to make sacrifices to further your ultimate goal.  Or as Keamy might say "you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet."  cause he was breakin' eggs.  hm.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 03:36:49 PM »
I like your comparison to a chess game.  It makes Jacob's willingness for the temple folk to meet their demise much easier to take.  In chess you have to make sacrifices to further your ultimate goal.  Or as Keamy might say "you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet."  cause he was breakin' eggs.  hm.

:D Very funny!  He's a little full of himself, or was, wasn't he.  He didn't make the eggs, the chicken did.  All he did was crack them and put them in a hot pan.  He wasn't even making omelets, which would have taken at least a little more culinary skill, just plain eggs!  Big shot got what he deserved!   ;D

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 03:53:58 PM »
Holland, I think you are pretty right on as usual. After this episode, I was thinking that in the struggle between MIB and Jacob that they seemed to be evenly matched at this point. MIB has the numbers, but Jacob still has the ace the hole.

But you bring up a good point in that he told them to save Sayid, and he probably would have know what would happen to him. So maybe Jacob really is a few steps more ahead of MIB than I thought and he has all his pieces where he wants them. Everyone is where Jacob wants them....I like it.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 03:55:35 PM »
Holland, I think you are pretty right on as usual. After this episode, I was thinking that in the struggle between MIB and Jacob that they seemed to be evenly matched at this point. MIB has the numbers, but Jacob still has the ace the hole.

But you bring up a good point in that he told them to save Sayid, and he probably would have know what would happen to him. So maybe Jacob really is a few steps more ahead of MIB than I thought and he has all his pieces where he wants them. Everyone is where Jacob wants them....I like it.
You are SO hired!  ;D

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 04:00:22 PM »
I can't wait for the video game of LOST...

Choose your player: Jacob or MIB.

Objective: To get as many people on your side before the final battle begans...

:)

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 04:03:28 PM »
I can't wait for the video game of LOST...

Choose your player: Jacob or MIB.

Objective: To get as many people on your side before the final battle begans...

:)

YES!