Author Topic: What was the point in clearing out the temple like that?  (Read 2841 times)

Offline agent

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
What was the point in clearing out the temple like that?
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:28:20 PM »
Smokey blew through the temple on a killing and destructive rampage - Why all that rage? Was he looking for something or somebody that he has a seething hatred for?

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: What was the point in clearing out the temple like that?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 11:29:38 PM »
Smokey blew through the temple on a killing and destructive rampage - Why all that rage? Was he looking for something or somebody that he has a seething hatred for?
i think he did it because he could.  for so long they had been keeping him out and all of a sudden he could go in.  so he did.  with a vengence.

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 11:33:54 PM »
He's wiping the slate clean - all those who don't follow him will be destroyed. Note the curious look he gave Kate as she exited....she may be the next to fall if she doesn't join

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 11:36:59 PM »
Sayid told the crowd. Join him by Sundown or die. MIB gives you options and then holds you to the consequences.

Offline misseko815

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 11:38:51 PM »
Sayid told the crowd. Join him by Sundown or die. MIB gives you options and then holds you to the consequences.
Just like a good parent would do... oh, except for the whole "I'll kill them if they don't follow me" part...

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 11:40:07 PM »
Just like a good parent would do... oh, except for the whole "I'll kill them if they don't follow me" part...
This is how I run my classroom!!! Do what I say or I go smokie on you :)

Offline agent

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 11:47:48 PM »
Smokey used to judge people before killing them or sending them on their way. Now it's get out of his way or you're a goner! He's lost any sense of mercy - he has become evil incarnate. If he gets off the island and it doesn't mellow him out, imagine the terror he would wreak on the world.

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 12:00:34 AM »
If he gets off the island and it doesn't mellow him out, imagine the terror he would wreak on the world.

Jack or MIB??? Or both?  :D

Offline Astriastar

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 12:10:58 AM »
The clearing of the temple kind of reminded me of Passover.  I know there was no blood above the door, but by choosing to leave, they spared themselves, even if only for the time being and Smokey was like the Holy Spirit coming through and killing the wicked.  I don't mean to go all Biblical on this episode, but when MIB/Locke was talking to Sayid in the jungle, he reminded me of the serpent in the Garden of Eden: telling half truths, making outrageous promises.  Kind of like he's done with Sawyer and presumably to Claire.  Actually, I do mean to go Biblical.  The series is full of these types of analogies.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:28:14 AM by Astriastar »

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 12:28:22 AM »
My brother joked they should've put lambs blood above the door.  The thing I'm curious about is what was so special about Dogen that his being alive kept Smokey out?

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 04:00:36 AM »
He's wiping the slate clean - all those who don't follow him will be destroyed. Note the curious look he gave Kate as she exited....she may be the next to fall if she doesn't join

I agree. It's kinda like the Purge that the Others did with the Dharma Initiative. Eliminate the competition. Even though Jacob is dead, his followers are still apparently a threat to the MIB.

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 05:49:56 AM »
Smokey used to judge people before killing them or sending them on their way. Now it's get out of his way or you're a goner! He's lost any sense of mercy - he has become evil incarnate. If he gets off the island and it doesn't mellow him out, imagine the terror he would wreak on the world.

Well, he did judge the temple people by giving them a chance to leave. He considered that the people who don't want to be "free" are not worthy to leave.

And while MIB seems like the snake from the Bible, let's not forget that Jacob did the exact same thing to Dogen, so the theory that they are the same entity seems to hold.

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 07:47:19 AM »

And while MIB seems like the snake from the Bible, let's not forget that Jacob did the exact same thing to Dogen, so the theory that they are the same entity seems to hold.
Same entity or two sides of the same coin....

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 09:57:04 AM »

Same entity or two sides of the same coin....

I don't believe they are some kind of immortal schizo, two halves of the same being.  I think they are separate entities, but as far as good vs. evil, I'm not sure that truly applies to them yet.  I think MIB is definitely evil now because let's face it, the good guys don't kill everyone who disagrees with them.  But Jacob also seems to have manipulated people to further his cause, and not always for their benefit.  In fact, it seems he sometimes plays a part in their misery so that he can come in and offer them relief for their cooperation.  Sounds like a deal with the devil to me.  So maybe there is no 'good guy' in this story or we just haven't met him/her yet.

Offline CrashandCari

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 10:21:32 AM »
The clearing of the temple kind of reminded me of Passover.  I know there was no blood above the door, but by choosing to leave, they spared themselves, even if only for the time being and Smokey was like the Holy Spirit coming through and killing the wicked.  I don't mean to go all Biblical on this episode, but when MIB/Locke was talking to Sayid in the jungle, he reminded me of the serpent in the Garden of Eden: telling half truths, making outrageous promises.  Kind of like he's done with Sawyer and presumably to Claire.  Actually, I do mean to go Biblical.  The series is full of these types of analogies.

I had the same thought about Passover.  The sundown threat and then seeing all the bodies laying about made me think about the slaying of the first-born son plague.  And I also don't want to make this biblical - it was just the imagary of Smokey tearing through the temple killing people that brought it mind