Author Topic: Hurley not noticing the NUMBERS  (Read 3997 times)

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Hurley not noticing the NUMBERS
« on: March 01, 2010, 08:44:56 PM »
So how come Hurley is in this strange new lighthouse, and he doesn't even notice the names on the wheel?
I can undestand Jack not giving a damn, but Hurley? He doesn't seem to care that much, he seems more like Jacob's puppet. Is he controled by Jacob and not just influenced?
He should have noticed the numbers (since he is apparently obsessed by them) and yet he didn't shriek when Jack said "turn it to 23". Why wouldn't he look at the other numbers?

I think the whole numbers story is rebranded as Jacob's candidates, while initially being the core numbers to Valenzetti's equation. In this new light, their former relevance (bad luck to Hurley, Swan hatch) is lost, so the writer's aren't insisting on it. A shame, since the first explanation was way better.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Hurley not noticing the NUMBERS
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:58:47 PM »
There were 360 numbers on the board so those 8 would not stick out so much. Then Jack had to go freak out and break the mirrors before they could investigate more. Hurley was sort of distracted.

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 09:11:25 PM »
I'm just surprised the writers didn't use this opportunity to teach Hurley about the numbers.
Watching the episode, I was certain that I would hear the line "Dude, the numbers are us!" coming from Hurley's mouth. I suppose he wil learn eventually though, unless the numbers are not what they were in seasons 1-3.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:16:56 PM »
I agree that this was an opportunity missed. I posted in the rating thread that at some point Jack would stop yelling and screaming and actually investigate the situation. Wouldn't that be nice. Take a look at the numbers and see whose names are on it. A little more out of that scene would of been nice.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »
I was a little disappointed that they didn't stop and look at the names more and see all of their friends names and see what pictures came up with each person.  I really wanted to see what the picture in the mirrors would be for everyone.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 10:32:02 PM »
There were 360 numbers on the board so those 8 would not stick out so much. Then Jack had to go freak out and break the mirrors before they could investigate more. Hurley was sort of distracted.
Sorry, Juggy, I disagree... Hurley should be pretty wary of the numbers, especially if he did even the slightest bit of inspection. Maybe he just doesn't care anymore?

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:58:13 PM »
He probably would have been wary of the numbers if he had gone over and looked at it, but he was distracted by Jack going nuts...and Jack didn't say all of the THE numbers he just said 23 so maybe it just didn't register with Hurley that all of his famous numbers would be on there.  I mean a 23 just by itself is just a 23.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 11:01:30 PM »
yes, the very fact that jacob said to turn the dial to 108 should have sent Hurley screaming
Hurley is obsessed with the numbers. He must know that they add to 108.
That and Jack saying "turn it to 23" should have made Hurley wary, scared and skeptical of Jacob.
We all remember what Hurley did when he saw the numbers on the hatch just before they blew it open.

I don't think Hurley is being influenced or controlled by Jacob. I think its just sloppy writing and they're changing the meaning of the numbers.

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 01:29:05 AM »
I posted in the rating thread that at some point Jack would stop yelling and screaming and actually investigate the situation. Wouldn't that be nice.

Me Jack. Me smash lighthouse!!

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 12:08:20 PM »
The valenzetti equation has no bearing on ANYTHING we have seen in the past 6 years. There has been no "official" mention of this Valenzetti person, or his equation, on the show out side of his name being written on the blast door map, which was only seen on the show for a few seconds.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 05:22:34 PM »
I'm with Juggy...too much going on at the time and there were a lot of numbers on there no just "the numbers"

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 04:29:49 PM »
Maybe Hurley was just hungry, when was the last full meal he's gotten?  Seriously, I agree this scene could have been better written and I was pissed Jack smashed the mirror without an curiosity whatsoever.  Doesn't he know we've been waiting for answers all these years?   ???

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 04:44:52 PM »
Maybe Hurley was just hungry, when was the last full meal he's gotten?  Seriously, I agree this scene could have been better written and I was pissed Jack smashed the mirror without an curiosity whatsoever.  Doesn't he know we've been waiting for answers all these years?   ???

No curiosity what so ever?? We must have been watching two different shows.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 11:38:12 AM »
Maybe Hurley was just hungry, when was the last full meal he's gotten?  Seriously, I agree this scene could have been better written and I was pissed Jack smashed the mirror without an curiosity whatsoever.  Doesn't he know we've been waiting for answers all these years?   ???

OK, maybe I overstated that.  But seriously, he sees his name on this dial and an image of his childhood home in a 'magic' mirror, puts two and two together and realizes Jacob has been watching them all their lives.  Then, instead of looking at the other names and checking to see what else is viewable in the mirror, maybe get some more answers, he smashes the whole thing and goes outside to stare at the ocean.  Maybe there was no more to see there, but he had no way of knowing that yet.  I understand he was angry and didn't want to be manipulated by Jacob anymore, but I would at least want to know what was at the number 108 that Jacob told them to turn the dial to.  I know Jacob only wanted to get Jack out there so he would understand how important he really is, and the number 108 might not be anything at all, but Jack doesn't know this yet, and never will now that the mirror is smashed.  My point was that if he stopped for a second and just looked at the situation, he (and Hurley) would have seen that their names corresponded to the numbers.  The writers may think they've wrapped up the mystery of the numbers for us, the viewers, but our characters would still be more than a little curious about them and what they mean (especially Hurley).  They haven't had access to this website and all it's glorious info!  I'm just saying I think it is sloppy storytelling to just have them forget the numbers meant anything.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 03:27:55 PM »

OK, maybe I overstated that.  But seriously, he sees his name on this dial and an image of his childhood home in a 'magic' mirror, puts two and two together and realizes Jacob has been watching them all their lives.  Then, instead of looking at the other names and checking to see what else is viewable in the mirror, maybe get some more answers, he smashes the whole thing and goes outside to stare at the ocean.  Maybe there was no more to see there, but he had no way of knowing that yet.  I understand he was angry and didn't want to be manipulated by Jacob anymore, but I would at least want to know what was at the number 108 that Jacob told them to turn the dial to.  I know Jacob only wanted to get Jack out there so he would understand how important he really is, and the number 108 might not be anything at all, but Jack doesn't know this yet, and never will now that the mirror is smashed.  My point was that if he stopped for a second and just looked at the situation, he (and Hurley) would have seen that their names corresponded to the numbers.  The writers may think they've wrapped up the mystery of the numbers for us, the viewers, but our characters would still be more than a little curious about them and what they mean (especially Hurley).  They haven't had access to this website and all it's glorious info!  I'm just saying I think it is sloppy storytelling to just have them forget the numbers meant anything.

I think you are severely underestimating the writers to assume that because in one scene, two characters don't acknowledge the numbers, and they have therefore completely abandoned the mythos behind them.