Author Topic: Hurley not noticing the NUMBERS  (Read 1914 times)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Hurley not noticing the NUMBERS
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 04:13:27 PM »
Maybe Hurley was just hungry, when was the last full meal he's gotten?  Seriously, I agree this scene could have been better written and I was pissed Jack smashed the mirror without an curiosity whatsoever.  Doesn't he know we've been waiting for answers all these years?   ???

No curiosity what so ever?? We must have been watching two different shows.

OK, maybe I overstated that.  But seriously, he sees his name on this dial and an image of his childhood home in a 'magic' mirror, puts two and two together and realizes Jacob has been watching them all their lives.  Then, instead of looking at the other names and checking to see what else is viewable in the mirror, maybe get some more answers, he smashes the whole thing and goes outside to stare at the ocean.  Maybe there was no more to see there, but he had no way of knowing that yet.  I understand he was angry and didn't want to be manipulated by Jacob anymore, but I would at least want to know what was at the number 108 that Jacob told them to turn the dial to.  I know Jacob only wanted to get Jack out there so he would understand how important he really is, and the number 108 might not be anything at all, but Jack doesn't know this yet, and never will now that the mirror is smashed.  My point was that if he stopped for a second and just looked at the situation, he (and Hurley) would have seen that their names corresponded to the numbers.  The writers may think they've wrapped up the mystery of the numbers for us, the viewers, but our characters would still be more than a little curious about them and what they mean (especially Hurley).  They haven't had access to this website and all it's glorious info!  I'm just saying I think it is sloppy storytelling to just have them forget the numbers meant anything.

I think you are severely underestimating the writers to assume that because in one scene, two characters don't acknowledge the numbers, and they have therefore completely abandoned the mythos behind them.

I hope you're right!  But other than Hurley occasionally freaking out, I don't think anyone else has really acknowledged them, have they?

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Hurley not noticing the NUMBERS
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 04:38:52 PM »
I don't think so, but that's because they don't have any kind of meaning to anyone else. Except the people that entered the code into the computer in the hatch, and even then, in this scene the only other person that applies to is Jack, and as we all can see, that is clearly not on his mind.