Author Topic: So it's magic, then?  (Read 3207 times)

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: So it's magic, then?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 09:07:31 PM »
David Copperfield

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 09:28:35 PM »
I do not believe that there is any magic involved. Unless you go by a very very very broad term of it.

All of this can be explained by some quasi scientific way that some scientist at some point thinks may be true.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 09:38:46 PM »
I think they like having the mystery.  I don't think we'll ever fully understand in scientific OR magical terms what makes the waters heal, or why the smoke is kept away by the ash, or how the donkey wheel changed the island.  I remember an interview with the producers talking about how the magic of Star Wars was sort of lost for them after it was revealed that the force was just something biological in your blood.  There needs to be that mystery that will never fully be explained, just interpreted by each individual viewer.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 09:49:19 PM »
I'm with you DMM - we are left to decide on our own if it is magic or science.  Damon and Carlton have mentioned the Star Wars thing multiple times as reasons why they don't want to provide to much explanation for certain stuff.

Some of it we have to take on faith, like an Island-moving donkey wheel.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 11:00:09 PM »
It all goes back to JJ's talk about the magic box he bought when he was a young boy and has never been opened.  It is imagination that alone is a magic that will defy science because it is unique to each person.

So they achived that by us using ours and coming up with theories and thoughts!

That is the magic  :P

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 11:07:22 PM »
The explanation of The force didn't take away the mystery of it...the first time we had it explained to us. It was the crappy mitoclorian (or how ever you spell it, I'm not even going to waste my time finding the correct spelling) explanation that ruined it. When it was explained to us as the binding force of the galaxy (magic) we loved it, but then this (rebooted) bloodstream explanation made it stupid. Lucas thought he was helping us to understand something we already understood. As for LOST, none of us fully understand what is going on, and if they don't explain it scientifically, or come right out and tell us it's magic, then I will be fuming angry.

It all goes back to JJ's talk about the magic box he bought when he was a young boy and has never been opened.  It is imagination that alone is a magic that will defy science because it is unique to each person.

You should write greeting cards.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 11:15:27 PM »
The explanation of The force didn't take away the mystery of it...the first time we had it explained to us. It was the crappy mitoclorian (or how ever you spell it, I'm not even going to waste my time finding the correct spelling) explanation that ruined it. When it was explained to us as the binding force of the galaxy (magic) we loved it, but then this (rebooted) bloodstream explanation made it stupid. Lucas thought he was helping us to understand something we already understood. As for LOST, none of us fully understand what is going on, and if they don't explain it scientifically, or come right out and tell us it's magic, then I will be fuming angry.

Well thank you Bob - I think ;) ;D ::)

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 03:54:33 PM »

You should - they can't be any worse than the cheesiness you typically find on them!   :-*

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 09:27:31 PM »

You should - they can't be any worse than the cheesiness you typically find on them!   :-*

any worse well not sure! ;) ;D  I could go down a wrong path

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 08:14:20 AM »
a) Smokey can assume the form of someone so long as he gathers information about what they look like first from someone else's thoughts.  Examples:  Appears as Yemi to Mr. Eko, appears as Alex to Ben

I think he can inhabit dead bodies, because he is a soul without body. According to the ancient Egyptian idea of the human soul,
a part of the dead person stays with the body after dead. So when Smoky gets in a body, he also gets the memories of that person.
That's why he had Alex' memories and Yemi's and Locke's (he knew that Ben and Locke first met in the hatch and he remembered that Ben brought Locke to the cabin, he knows all the losties and the last thoughts of Locke before dying).
Like Miles can read the last thoughts of people before dying if he is next to a dead body, Smoky gets in the body and gets all the
memories. Hurley talks to the part of the soul that gets out of the body after dead. (The Egyptian soul has 5 parts, the name, the shadow, the part that stays with the body, the part that gets out of the body, the union of the last 2  needed to get access to afterlife.
You need all of them to be complete.)

How does Smokey work? Well, how does the Donkey wheel work? How can there be a mirror with a view to all the candidates' lives and a lighthouse who noone has seen before?
Seasons 2-3 were all about science (electromagnetism, Dharma, radio signal jam by underwater base, Valenzetti, Smokey as security system etc.), but the last seasons are all about magick and the Occult!
I think the first sign of paranormal was Hawking's knowledge of that man dying (never thouroghly explained, probably never will be), and then it was all a blast! Enter the Donkey wheel, Jacob and his other self (yes, I still think they are one entity), egyptian Gods and magic mirrors. This is it! No more need for science.

I don't think Smoky works, it is not a machine. He is a soul without a own body and therefor not admitted in afterlife and he has to dwell around untill the one who is supposed to give him his own body will finally start to believe in afterlife and start to believe that he is supposed to have a son and make one, instead of fixing everybody else's life and forgetting about his marriage and raising kids that are not his own and ruining all his loveaffairs that will make him a father.

The Donkey wheel is timetravel and Chang tried to explain it scientifically. A scientific explanation would be too difficult, but they tried a little with Farraday and Chang. In short it is the energy that is close to the wheel that causes the
timetravel. I think the wheel doesn't cause it, it only sets the date to travel to. When it was spinning around they travelled around, when it stopped they were stuck in the 70ies. When they released the energy from the Swan in 2004 Desmond jumped in time, when they released the energy from the Swan again in 1977 they jumped back to 2008.

I believe the sidetimeline is a flash back to the original timeline from where the D.I send people to the past to change the course of history to save the D.I. from sinking the island and all the D.I peole from dying (maybe they flashed to the past themselves drilling the energy when building the Swan). The lighthouse could just be webcams, installed in front of the houses of the losties. That is no complicated technology. I don't think it are webcams, but it doesn't have to be magic.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 08:23:03 AM »
But right now Smokey is stuck in Locke's body.  He did use the images before no doubt.  But I also think that he knows about them prior to inhabiting their phyiscal image.  I am not so sure about taking the soul, but it could.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 08:35:05 AM »
I don't think he is stuck in Locke's body.
We saw him fly in his smokeform last episode when he came to Ben and in his smokeform when he went to see Sawyer.
He moves faster in his smokeform and appears out of nowhere.
He materialises in Locke's form and if Ilana is right he can only use Locke's image now to materialise.
Maybe he can become Christian too, if he put on his shoes.  ??? :-\

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 08:41:48 AM »
OPG - Ilana said he is stuck in The Substitute:

BEN: Why did you have to bring him to the statue in the first place?

ILANA: Because the people there need to see the face of what they're up against.

BEN: And whats to stop what they're up against from changing his face?

ILANA: He can't; not anymore. Hes stuck this way.

ILANA: Does anyone want to say anything? Didn't any of you know him?

BEN: Alright, I know him. John Locke was a.. A believer, he was a man of faith, he was.. a much better man than I will ever be. And I'm very sorry I murdered him.

FRANK: Weirdest damn funeral I've ever been to.

You have participated in the discussions regarding Smokey posing as Christian and the other characters through the years.  I agree he has masqueraded as many others, but now we now for a fact that he is Locke.  I love the sounds of Smokey arriving and then appearing as Locke.  At least my favorite character is still on the show!

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 09:06:33 AM »

ILANA: Because the people there need to see the face of what they're up against.

BEN: Alright, I know him. John Locke was a.. A believer, he was a man of faith, he was.. a much better man than I will ever be. And I'm very sorry I murdered him.

You have participated in the discussions regarding Smokey posing as Christian and the other characters through the years.  I agree he has masqueraded as many others, but now we now for a fact that he is Locke.  I love the sounds of Smokey arriving and then appearing as Locke.  At least my favorite character is still on the show!

I know. What I meant is that he is not stuck in Locke's body, because he can still change to his smokeform. He doesn't need to walk from one point of the island to the other with Locke's body or use a boat to get to the other island. He can move very fast as smoke and appear out of nowhere as Locke. Just like Richard appears out of nowhere.

And I still don't get the meaning of Christian's shoes that he carries around.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 11:05:15 AM »

I know. What I meant is that he is not stuck in Locke's body, because he can still change to his smokeform. He doesn't need to walk from one point of the island to the other with Locke's body or use a boat to get to the other island. He can move very fast as smoke and appear out of nowhere as Locke. Just like Richard appears out of nowhere.

And I still don't get the meaning of Christian's shoes that he carries around.

Oh I didn't know that is what you meant.  I read it the other way.

Wait let me understand is it a theory that he is carrying around Christians shoes, because i don't recall having that told.    Not speculating on this till I understand more