Author Topic: So it's magic, then?  (Read 2447 times)

Offline muggle_born

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
So it's magic, then?
« on: February 28, 2010, 10:31:48 AM »
Remember when we used to debate whether or not there was "magic" on the island?  Are we just taking that for granted now?  We used to worry about how the pillar of smoke functioned.  How precisely does it transform from a pillar of smoke/display screen for the brain into a corporeal representation of anyone whose dead body appears on the island?  Are we now accepting that the island is a hub of supernatural "magic" that the powers-that-be have no need to explain to us viewers?  The polar bears got explained.  Dharma is no longer a mystery.  The healing powers are explained by the energy of the island.  We now know the physical cause of the crash of flight 815.  They seemed to go out of their way to remove the mysticism in earlier seasons, but now we've got another plane crash unexplained, a superhuman transporting Jacob, dead people appearing to their loved ones separately from Smokey (Ben's mom did not die on the island and Christian and Claire appeared off-island which doesn't fit with Smokey's MO), a magical mirror, and a magic shifting smoke monster, all with no rational (or rational enough) explanation in sight.  So all along, it was just magic or supernatural, huh?  And we're okay with that?

I pulled this idea from another post of mine because it evolved beyond the topic there... I hope I don't get in trouble for that.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: So it's magic, then?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 12:05:33 PM »
You won't get in trouble, but you may have wanted to put this under theories speculations.  But I am sure right now it is not a big deal.

Yeah it is magic the magic of television ;) 
It is magic to a degree I would guess.  or just a place where the world operates a bit differently. keep on thinking I like it

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 01:00:15 PM »
There is a quote from Arthur C. Clarke that I just recently became acquainted that I really like that might satisfy the your concern, but probably won't, we'll just have to see...

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 02:48:42 PM »
There is a quote from Arthur C. Clarke that I just recently became acquainted that I really like that might satisfy the your concern, but probably won't, we'll just have to see...

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

I get that.  Funny because if you watch a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court a match was magic back then. It is all perspective when we get down to it.  So time travel or teleportation (sp)may be a foreign concept in our math, but there it is the norm.  Well, Bob thanks for adding to the equation and helping me ponder more!

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 04:59:07 PM »
okay well i just say the movie with Cameron Diaz "The Box" this weekend... though it has NOTHING to do with LOST... there is a quote from it that may have some relevence to this thread... to paraphrase the quote says " New technology and science,if it works, is seen as magic". so technically yes its magic only because its technology and science that is new to us. 

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 04:59:56 PM »
oh... i didnt see that the person right before my post had already quoted that line... sorry my bad... but still in that case im just backing up that theory. good looking out LostinLocke

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 06:53:06 PM »
Great point, muggle born.  We are all lined up ready to swallow our pills.  It's taken several years, but magic whirlpools and infections and secret tunnels and lighthouses are the stock and trade of this our story!

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 08:03:05 PM »
Okay, I'll quote John Locke:

"It's not just an island.  It's a place where miracles happen."

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 08:39:40 PM »
ya.. that too..

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 11:55:55 PM »
Hmmm... I say no magic. But I also said no time travel.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 12:14:13 AM »
Hmmm... I say no magic. But I also said no time travel.
it's a kinda magic....

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 02:38:04 AM »
okay well i just say the movie with Cameron Diaz "The Box" this weekend... though it has NOTHING to do with LOST... there is a quote from it that may have some relevence to this thread... to paraphrase the quote says " New technology and science,if it works, is seen as magic". so technically yes its magic only because its technology and science that is new to us. 

Oh that's funny, because that's where I got it from too. LOL

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 12:55:08 PM »
I think people have become accepting of the fact that whatever's going on is rooted more in the supernatural / magic realm, than in the scientific realm.  Thus, there's less to figure out in terms of "how does smokey work?" etc.  Certainly, answers along those lines can (and hopefully will be) given, but its hard to reason something out when its reduced to magic. 

In terms of people seeing dead people, people where they shouldn't be, etc. I think there are four things going on...

a) Smokey can assume the form of someone so long as he gathers information about what they look like first from someone else's thoughts.  Examples:  Appears as Yemi to Mr. Eko, appears as Alex to Ben

b) Those who are dead can be infected, at which point they come back to life.  Examples of this, I believe, are Christian, Claire, and Sayid.

c) Here I am a little more fuzzy, but I believe the infected can also "project" themselves into other's thoughts.  Hence Michael, on the freighter, sees Christian.  Jack see's Christian, who's there one moment and gone the next.  Jack even sees Christian back in the "real world" at the hospital.  Kate sees a vision of Claire in her dream.   

Offline muggle_born

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 08:20:46 PM »
a) Smokey can assume the form of someone so long as he gathers information about what they look like first from someone else's thoughts.  Examples:  Appears as Yemi to Mr. Eko, appears as Alex to Ben

But Alex and Yemi both had dead bodies on the island, which seems to be a key.  The only beings I can think of that appeared on the island that did not have dead bodies on the island were Ben's mom and... Kate's horse from season one... although that might have just been one of the others' horse and-- wait, what was up with that horse anyway?  It saved her from the marshal in the original timeline and then appeared on the island as well, but we've not heard from it since.  Or is the horse related to Vincent?  He shows up sometimes too in strange ways.  Oh, whatever.

Offline nomteticus

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 08:29:37 PM »
How does Smokey work? Well, how does the Donkey wheel work? How can there be a mirror with a view to all the candidates' lives and a lighthouse who noone has seen before?
Seasons 2-3 were all about science (electromagnetism, Dharma, radio signal jam by underwater base, Valenzetti, Smokey as security system etc.), but the last seasons are all about magick and the Occult!
I think the first sign of paranormal was Hawking's knowledge of that man dying (never thouroghly explained, probably never will be), and then it was all a blast! Enter the Donkey wheel, Jacob and his other self (yes, I still think they are one entity), egyptian Gods and magic mirrors. This is it! No more need for science.