Author Topic: What if the flash sideways are what would have happened, had they not been...  (Read 11321 times)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
I hate to argue with everyone who says the bomb sunk the island but I really don't think it did. I believe Ben being at the school teaching is evidence enough of this. If everything happened like we saw it happen up until the bomb then young Ben would have been on the island at that time and most likely would have died when the bomb SUPPOSEDLY sunk the island. Therefore if it was indeed the bomb that sunk the island then Ben would not be alive off island and teaching.

I know I must be repeating myself in various threads, but...
Yes, I agree with you, I don't think the bomb itself sunk the island and I also don't think the ALT timeline we're seeing is a result of the bomb either.  I think it was presented to us alongside the on island return to the present to make us think the bomb was responsible for both.
I think I said exactly that in another thread. But yeah, we're on the same page.

No, we're on the same MULTIPLE PARALLEL pages!   :o

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Ook, I'm shaking my head here trying to keep it clear.  Is this what I'm hearing?

Jacob never touched them in X world.  Their lives are better - Kate helped one of her victims and facilitated Aaron's healthy birth and left him with his mother; John accepted his disability and told the truth to Helen and stayed with her lovingly; Jack coped with his father's demise and reconciled with his estranged son.

Jacob wants them on the island -- therefore he meddles - if you dont like what he's doing - or he blesses - if you think he's out for their betterment.

But the island and its drama also exists.

Is this story about them choosing the life they want?  X world where all is seemingly well.  Or island world where it's a heck of a lot harder but has its own benefits - miracles, connection, adventure, mystery.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Ook, I'm shaking my head here trying to keep it clear.  Is this what I'm hearing?

Jacob never touched them in X world.  Their lives are better - Kate helped one of her victims and facilitated Aaron's healthy birth and left him with his mother; John accepted his disability and told the truth to Helen and stayed with her lovingly; Jack coped with his father's demise and reconciled with his estranged son.

Jacob wants them on the island -- therefore he meddles - if you dont like what he's doing - or he blesses - if you think he's out for their betterment.

But the island and its drama also exists.

Is this story about them choosing the life they want?  X world where all is seemingly well.  Or island world where it's a heck of a lot harder but has its own benefits - miracles, connection, adventure, mystery.

This is a very good point.  The show has done a great job showing what many of us are thinking.  "What if I had summoned up the courage to ask that guy from high school out?  Where would we be now?"  That sort of thing.  Though I'm not sure the series will end with a choice- which live do you want to live now, A or B, it's certainly interesting.

Good point about Ben existing in the new timeline, it would seem that the island has been underwater for much longer than 27 years which would suggest the bomb didn't cause the submersion. 

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
I hate to argue with everyone who says the bomb sunk the island but I really don't think it did. I believe Ben being at the school teaching is evidence enough of this. If everything happened like we saw it happen up until the bomb then young Ben would have been on the island at that time and most likely would have died when the bomb SUPPOSEDLY sunk the island. Therefore if it was indeed the bomb that sunk the island then Ben would not be alive off island and teaching.

Yes, I agree with you, I don't think the bomb itself sunk the island and I also don't think the ALT timeline we're seeing is a result of the bomb either.  I think it was presented to us alongside the on island return to the present to make us think the bomb was responsible for both.
I think I said exactly that in another thread. But yeah, we're on the same page.

No, we're on the same MULTIPLE PARALLEL pages!   :o
Haha zing!

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile

I completely disagree.  I think the bomb sunk the island, but that the power of the anomaly and/or the depth of the bomb didn't kill all the people on the island... so Ben and the temple people escaped... But they know that they need to "Fix" the situation, so Ben and Dogan are on some kind of mission to do this... I don't know what or how, though?!?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 03:42:16 PM by My Alternate Self »

Offline jacobsdaughter

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
I have to think that the bomb somehow involved the island sinking and the flash sideways because Juliet said "It Worked".  Wherever she is, on the other side, she has that knowledge.

Offline Swank13

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
I thought that the point of Jack asking about his scar, was that it looked bigger to him.  Meaning that he wasn't sure when he had his surgery.  Obviously that scar would be bigger from a surgery in your thirties than from a surgery when you are 8.  Either way this is showing some type of shared conscience between the two.

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
I think the word "sink" is wrong.  That is a bit of an assumption on our part.  Just because we see it at the bottom of the ocean doesn't necessarily mean it sank.   The island could have very well placed itself at the bottom of the ocean.  How does an island sink anyway?  It's not floating.

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
these flash sideways aren't just what would have happened had they not crashed, its more like, what would have happened if jacob never had them as a candidate.

Yeah, I think Jack's appendix scar from the age of 8 shows that the sideways story isn't just how they're lives are different after '77, it's that they're different completely.  And since the whole point of them being on the island is because they were chosen as candidates, it's safe to assume (or at least theorize) that we're seeing what their lives would have been without Jacob's 'pushing' them toward the island.  The question is why are we seeing this?  We first assumed the bomb reset reality after '77, so if that's not the case, what caused this sideways reality?

Plus in the first episode of this season, they were on the flight in October, not September, showing how Jacob's actions had sped up their lives a bit as well.

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
these flash sideways aren't just what would have happened had they not crashed, its more like, what would have happened if jacob never had them as a candidate.

Yeah, I think Jack's appendix scar from the age of 8 shows that the sideways story isn't just how they're lives are different after '77, it's that they're different completely.  And since the whole point of them being on the island is because they were chosen as candidates, it's safe to assume (or at least theorize) that we're seeing what their lives would have been without Jacob's 'pushing' them toward the island.  The question is why are we seeing this?  We first assumed the bomb reset reality after '77, so if that's not the case, what caused this sideways reality?
Actually, Darlton confirmed that the flight was on Sept 22, 2004 just as it was in the first timeline.  The thing with Claire's sonogram was a prop error (according to them).

Plus in the first episode of this season, they were on the flight in October, not September, showing how Jacob's actions had sped up their lives a bit as well.

Offline I_Am_Jacob

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Alright, I'm posting. Haven't gotten all the way through all the posts, but need to address something. The apparent Island underwater. What I think transpired is that the Island existed in multiple universes. It was a Constant there, and always the same. When the Losties were skipping through time while the Donkey Wheel was stuck they were also skipping through universes. Now here it gets tricky, haha. When the Nuke blew deep in the core of the island, it shattered it into pieces and sank it. Think Armageddon. This happened in a universe that the losties weren't originally a part of. Thats the twist. The Universes are much the same but with very minor differences. (Locke's Dad, Locke's Marriage, Jack's Kid, Boone not having Shannon with him, Hurley's Luck, etc) Now when the Losties blew the Nuke they were reset to their original universe. With the Island Still in tact, the Swan Blown up, etc. As for the Flash Sideways folks, they are still going about their lives as they have always known them. The Theory gets finicky with regards to the Scar on Jack and such, but I think these two realities are happening in different universes which would explain the subtle differences in backstories. Like The Man in Black said, it always ends the same....I think this is referring to the multiple universes this game has been played out in.

The Man in Black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger Followed

Offline muggle_born

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
I thought the sub that Sawer & company highjacked and then sent on its way at the end of last season had all the women and children on board.  So there's Ben (and Ethan).  He's unharmed on the sub ready to begin life anew at the high school.  As for Samuri, he was asked how he got to the island and replied that it brought him here like everyone else, so we have no reason to believe that he was on it in 1977 to die from the nuke, which explains why he was there in the sidewaverse.  Said 'verse is pretty clearly what would have happened if the island was -yes- SUNK and Jacob never interfered with the Losties' lives.  The end.  Thread closed.  Wait, I can do that, can't I.  Try to find the button... looks like it's right next to post... whoops--

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
I think the word "sink" is wrong.  That is a bit of an assumption on our part.  Just because we see it at the bottom of the ocean doesn't necessarily mean it sank.   The island could have very well placed itself at the bottom of the ocean.  How does an island sink anyway?  It's not floating.
I laughed when I read that.  A few years ago I had a theory that the island couldn't be found because it floats.  That was before it was revealed that the island moves.  We had quite a lively discussion about whether the island was floating. 

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
I thought the sub that Sawer & company highjacked and then sent on its way at the end of last season had all the women and children on board.  So there's Ben (and Ethan).  He's unharmed on the sub ready to begin life anew at the high school.  As for Samuri, he was asked how he got to the island and replied that it brought him here like everyone else, so we have no reason to believe that he was on it in 1977 to die from the nuke, which explains why he was there in the sidewaverse.  Said 'verse is pretty clearly what would have happened if the island was -yes- SUNK and Jacob never interfered with the Losties' lives.  The end.  Thread closed.  Wait, I can do that, can't I.  Try to find the button... looks like it's right next to post... whoops--

Still no proof the island sank.  It's still an assumption. We know it's on the bottom of the ocean, but we can't be sure that it sank.

Offline muggle_born

• Background Extra
    • View Profile

Still no proof the island sank.  It's still an assumption. We know it's on the bottom of the ocean, but we can't be sure that it sank.

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (G & C. Merriam Co., 1913, edited by Noah Porter)

Sink (singk)
1. verb To travel below sea level as the result of a nuclear explosion directly above a large pocket of electromagnetic energy. 

That answers that.  Thread closed.  Wait...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:56:12 PM by muggle_born »