Author Topic: What if the flash sideways are what would have happened, had they not been...  (Read 4219 times)

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
CANDIDATES.

that was crazy that when he was told he got his appendix taken out at 8. he somewhat recalled. (which reminds me of #1 herehttp://www.cracked.com/article/127_5-ways-to-hack-your-brain-into-awesomeness_p2, about being told about something and then thinking you remember something you really don't) and that scar is effing NOTICEABLE. you don't go 30 years without asking your mom what the deal is.

ALSO he didn't get the appendix removed til after crashing, therefore this 8 year old removal version is throwing me for a loop. these flash sideways aren't just what would have happened had they not crashed, its more like, what would have happened if jacob never had them as a candidate. it seems to me that maybe jacob had tabs on them before they were even born and just had to wait until the time was right for them to be brought together.

had jacob never had them on the list, then their lives would have changed by more than just everything that happened POST lax landing (as is being shown): jack has a kid, had a early appendix surgery, locke is getting married, still with helen, claire is keeping the baby, but was going to give it to an american couple, etc etc etc.

something epic is going to transpire w/ these flashes, i just know it!!

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
I was assuming that all of those moments when Jacob interacted with and touched the "candidates" took place after 1977. So what we're seeing in the flash sideways might be what their lives ended up being once the bomb went off and the island sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

Offline grizn0

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
I was assuming that all of those moments when Jacob interacted with and touched the "candidates" took place after 1977. So what we're seeing in the flash sideways might be what their lives ended up being once the bomb went off and the island sunk to the bottom of the ocean.
There is absolutely no reason why we should think the bomb is what caused the island to sink in my opinion. Rather we should be thinking "oh yeah, the whole island is underwater in the universe." If the bomb is what caused the island to sink, then Ben would have still been on the island when it happened and therefore could not be teaching at that school where Locke is.

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Is this the first time we see one of our Losties with an actual PHYSICAL reminder of their time on the island?  I mean, yes, there have been deja vu moments.  But Jack still has the new scar, and he had that blood on his face on the airplane.  Has there been anything else?  I honestly cannot remember.

Offline jakstraw79

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
There is absolutely no reason why we should think the bomb is what caused the island to sink in my opinion. Rather we should be thinking "oh yeah, the whole island is underwater in the universe." If the bomb is what caused the island to sink, then Ben would have still been on the island when it happened and therefore could not be teaching at that school where Locke is.

i think there are a lot of reasons to think the bomb sunk the island.  if you remember, when jack and sayid were going to get the bomb, richard knocked out hawking and said he was protecting his leader.  he knew what they were trying.  i am thinking that richard somehow got his people off the island or made sure they were safe.

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile

i think there are a lot of reasons to think the bomb sunk the island.  if you remember, when jack and sayid were going to get the bomb, richard knocked out hawking and said he was protecting his leader.  he knew what they were trying.  i am thinking that richard somehow got his people off the island or made sure they were safe.

But how do you SINK an island?

Offline grizn0

• View Profile

Ok maybe I should rephrase here. I think there is no reason we should think the bomb sunk the island FOR SURE. I mean, we shouldn't state is as fact because there has been no confirmation of it. There hasn't even been any evidence to support the theory other than the fact the scenes were shown back to back in the premiere. And thats not enough for me. If it turns out that the bomb is indeed what caused the island to sink then I will eat my words. But right now, I don't believe it.

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile

But how do you SINK an island?
[/quote]

Turn the frozen donkey wheel the other direction?

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
these flash sideways aren't just what would have happened had they not crashed, its more like, what would have happened if jacob never had them as a candidate.

Yeah, I think Jack's appendix scar from the age of 8 shows that the sideways story isn't just how they're lives are different after '77, it's that they're different completely.  And since the whole point of them being on the island is because they were chosen as candidates, it's safe to assume (or at least theorize) that we're seeing what their lives would have been without Jacob's 'pushing' them toward the island.  The question is why are we seeing this?  We first assumed the bomb reset reality after '77, so if that's not the case, what caused this sideways reality?

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
perhaps they will flash one last time to the beginning of it all, maybe even to Jacob as a child, and sayid will shoot him too hahahaha :-/

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Why couldn't Jack's appendix coming out at age 8 have happened after 1977?  We never learn when Jack was born, but we know he was working in the hospital in 2001. This could easily give us an 8 year old appendicitis operation after 1977.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
Nice!  Things are different in their lives before the crash.  So it's not a difference exclusive to NOT crashing, but to Jacob's touch.  Love it!  I wonder if Sawyer is an upstanding citizen now that he's not chasing after Cooper/Sawyer.  Is it safe to say that with the island underwater the protector that Jacob appointed (or possibly, still Jacob) has failed in protecting it?  And the world is still turning!  Maybe there is something to MIB's claim that it's just an island after all.  :P 

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
zeek, my issue is that, how do you JUST then realize you have a scar that you've had out forever? something's up with that ****. it's almost as if his mom said an age and he kind of just agreed, as i outlined in my opening post is a common thing that people experience. If you tell them something happened, they'll make up their own story of how it happened.

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
I think what Zeek is saying, and I agree with him, is that the X timeline is not just their lives without the Jacob touch, it's way before that.  Jack's mother confirms that his appendix removal happened when he was 8.  That was loooong before Jacob touched him.  Hurley's life is obviously different and he wasn't touched until after he came back from the island.  I don't think the touch has anything to do with what we are seeing in the X timeline.  Things were obviously different for the losties way before the touch and without it even happening yet.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Jack said that the mirror in the lighthouse showed the house where he lived when he was little and that they were being watched
all their lifes. That is long before he met Jacob.