Author Topic: Dr. Linus Prediction  (Read 6387 times)

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Linus Prediction
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 12:55:02 PM »
I just hope he is married to Annie.
I waited for Annie for years and didn't saw her in the Dharmavillage in season 5.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 12:57:45 PM »
Alright! ENOUGH. That is three digs in this thread at teachers.
james "this job is all he can get". Teaching isn't the bottom of the barrel and a job you just settle for? It is not filled with "crack pots" and failures. It is filled with people dedicated to helping young people learn and to help them find their purpose. You need a college degree to be a full time teacher. You have to get a specific degree to teach and plan to become one. You don't just say "my career at Wal Mart did not work out, so I guess I will teach!

Lowly elementary teacher! Are you freaking kidding me. Teaching young kids is now lowly!! Nothing my wife does is "lowly" she works her ass off every day and night. By the way, Locke was not in any lowly  elementary school. Look at the ages of the kids, subjects taught and the design of the school.

This is absolutely true.  Props to teachers!  I work in a school and am astounded at how the teachers manage to handle behavior problems, school events, and are dedicated to every child.  I think you also bring up a good point, intentional or not, about how Ben Linus is different in this time line.  Not only did he choose a major in high school that interested him (european history) he also chose to use his knowledge to enlighten others.  Quite a big difference from his sly underhanded self in the first time line.  I guess he still seems like kind of a jerk, but hey!  I'm looking forward to seeing how Ben has changed.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 05:08:43 PM »
james "this job is all he can get". Teaching isn't the bottom of the barrel and a job you just settle for? It is not filled with "crack pots" and failures. It is filled with people dedicated to helping young people learn and to help them find their purpose. You need a college degree to be a full time teacher. You have to get a specific degree to teach and plan to become one. You don't just say "my career at Wal Mart did not work out, so I guess I will teach!

Lowly elementary teacher! Are you freaking kidding me. Teaching young kids is now lowly!! Nothing my wife does is "lowly" she works her ass off every day and night. By the way, Locke was not in any lowly  elementary school. Look at the ages of the kids, subjects taught and the design of the school.

AMEN! I been teaching first grade for 15 years many of them in city schools...... BUT what about the word they used in the promos for next week when describing Ben. Not sure what to make of it. Not sure if it is considered a spoiler so I don't want to say what the word is they used...... Suffice to say I am a bit worried about next week's episode....

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 07:51:51 PM »
I think I know what word you are using, and I'm calling balderdash!  Though it might have a different meaning than the first one that comes to mind.  Wonder if Ben is going to have a tumor on his spine and meet up with Jack....ha!

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 09:58:32 PM »
Yes, you are right, it must have a different meaning!

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 11:22:31 PM »

Please accept my sincere apology. In no way whatsoever did I mean to put down teachers at any level. If my original post came across as insulting to teachers, please understand that it was absolutely not my intention. The only reason it did was my own failure to accurately describe my thoughts. My mother is a retired kindergarten teacher of many years, so I certainly have a  profound appreciation for this increadibly underappreciated profession.

I only meant that a teacher with a PHD is highly unusual for elementary, junior high school, and high school levels. I fully understand it requires not only a higher education degree, but also huge heart in order to become a teacher at any level.

Apperantly, this is just another example of what happens when I open my mouth to do something other than change feet. I'll take this opportunity to reevaluate the words I use to express myself and be far more careful moving forward. Once again, I sincerely and deeply apologize for any offense taken by my post towards teachers and those of us that know teachers.

I'm sorry.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 12:21:43 AM »
he's a historian with crackpot ideas about ancient civilizations, gods and time travel and has been ridiculed out of academia and  now this job is all he can get
james "this job is all he can get". Teaching isn't the bottom of the barrel and a job you just settle for? It is not filled with "crack pots" and failures.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of Daniel from Stargate
he was a brilliant historian/archeologist with a PhD, but was considered a crackpot because he believed the Egyptian pyramids were built by intergalactic travelers
regardless of his brilliance, he had to take a crappy job because he was laughed out of academia. Who's going to believe that pyramids were landing pads for ancient astronauts ?
but, of course, if you you're a fan of Stargate, you know that after all the experts failed to decode the hieroglyphics the government turned to this crackpot and it turns out he was right all along

so I'm thinking the same thing about Ben. Wouldn't it be interesting if he had all these theories about time travel, ancient civilizations, and "gods" battling each other over the fate of the human race ? 
He would be laughed out of academia.
After all, who would believe ancient egyptians and greeks could time travel ? Could live for thousands of years ? and would play a centuries old game using mankind as pawns ?
But, as we have already seen on the island, he would be right.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:23:47 AM by jamesl »

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 08:33:19 AM »
(tip-toeing quietly past this thread)

Shhhhh.... looks like someone is a bit touchy....

Yeah and I was told I tend to be over sentative  ;) ;D

LTFS you do come up with some good ones now and then.

Did anyone think that Dr. Linus could have been Ben's mother?

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 09:30:14 AM »
I like BadRobot's theory that it is Roger Linus that is the Dr.

Or maybe his ex-wife is a Dr., Dr. Danielle Linus?  ;)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2010, 12:31:57 PM »
Official previews are allowed to be discussed in the threads. You can use the word in your post.

Offline infrared41

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 01:13:32 PM »
I think the "word" references Ben's fall from grace as island big wig. That's all.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
Official previews are allowed to be discussed in the threads. You can use the word in your post.
I believe it was something along the lines of ben "meeting his DEMISE."  I'm going to agree it's probably something like his fall from leadership or...somethin'.  Don't think they'd say "and this week, Ben dies!"

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 10:17:06 AM »
Teachers never get the appreciation they deserve. I spent a few years as a tutor and it was not easy. I can hardly imagine how difficult a full-time teaching job would be. In my opinion, teachers deserve a 200% pay increase and some major benefits to having to deal with grimy kids and their grimy parents day in and day out.

As for what this thread is about, I never had any form of health education until my third year of high school, minus the "don't do drugs" speeches from grade school. Different places do things differently. From the decor in the teacher's lounge and the talk between Locke and Linus, I would assume it is either a high school or a middle school. So why is someone with a doctorate teaching at a high/middle school? Perhaps he wants to teach a younger grade than college age. Perhaps he couldn't get a college-teaching job after he got his doctorate and is now, in his mind, "stuck" in middle school. It could be that the Dr is referring to someone else, but I'm going to assume it's Ben until I find out otherwise.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 10:18:17 AM »
I just hope he is married to Annie.
I waited for Annie for years and didn't saw her in the Dharmavillage in season 5.

I don't think that this is going to happen.  I think she is gone forever.

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 01:49:56 PM »
how did this thread turn into the teachers association of america.. i simply stated that to Roger ( IF this is the case) if he is a doctor looking down at his son being so unaccepting of his existence would see his elementary job as lowly. thats not my opinion at all.. it just seems liek all you teachers have some internal issues and self doubt that YOU have to work on... not my opinion.. Rogers.