Author Topic: Ben's Job or Church of Latter Day Saints Speech  (Read 5933 times)

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Ben's Job or Church of Latter Day Saints Speech
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 12:17:15 AM »
But Ben kidnapped her from a crazy woman that had killed her entire team, and there was a good chance that she would kill Alex as well. And then he riased her on his own, I think Ben has every right to say he loved her.

Um, Rousseau wasn't "crazy".  She watched a man disappear before her eyes; she watched a smoke monster kill one crew member and drag another one down a hole (and his arm got ripped off); and the rest of her crew became infected and wanted to kill her.  She's traumatized, yes; but not "crazy".

So Ben was "ordered" to kill Alex.  So what?  Free will.  He chose to kidnap her, raise her as his own, never bother to tell her she'd been kidnapped and her mother was out foraging for herself in the wild, never bothered to go get her mother from out in the wild.  Alex was a baby when his crime against her was committed so she doesn't know what's been done to her.  To portray his "love" for Alex as something that shows the "positive" side of his humanity is outrageous.  Imagine a docudrama of the Jaycee Dugard story or that girl in Utah (I forget her name) and portray their kidnapper's "love" for their victim as some benevolent act to rescue them from a bad situation.  It is unforgivable for TPTB to portray this aspect of Ben this way.

Right.  Ben was doing what he thought was right for Alex.  Whether that actually was right or not is up for debate, but not really the point.  There was nothing malicious about his motivation for kidnapping her.  He figured he was saving a life.  I donít think it is crazy at all to think that he can truly love her and I am certainly sympathetic to those feelings. 

So as long as the kidnapper feels he is "doing the right thing", it's OK?  You cannot be serious.  I'm sure both of those real life kidnappers thought of themselves as doing something good for their victims, that they were "saving" them or "protecting" them from the evils of the world.  Their motive inside their own mind does not make it OK.

Offline Gar O Mac

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 04:24:23 AM »
I still say that Rousseau was the infected one, but that's nether here or there.

Well Ben didn't go there thinking "Alright I'm going to steal me a baby" He went to kill a woman that Widmore had said was a threat and when he got there he found a baby and didn't know what to do, so he brought her back with him and was told that if he didn't kill her then he was going to be the one to take care of her. And as anyone would grew to think of her as his child.

I think TPTB have a lot of fun with pointing out all the gray area's between black and white, showing that sometimes right and wrong are subjective, that it's not always what we have done but why we have done it. And I think that's what they were trying to do here. I think this is just one of those philosophical differences that the world will never agree on and I'm deeply sorry that the issue has hurt and angered you in the way that it has.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 09:18:54 AM »
I rarely defend Ben, but  he did take care of Alex after he was told to kill her.  I will give him that and in the scheme of life there Alex was better off with him than living  like her Mom.  wow that woudl be a different twist and in the alternative universe her mom was struggling in real life

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 03:51:24 PM »

Right.  Ben was doing what he thought was right for Alex.  Whether that actually was right or not is up for debate, but not really the point.  There was nothing malicious about his motivation for kidnapping her.  He figured he was saving a life.  I donít think it is crazy at all to think that he can truly love her and I am certainly sympathetic to those feelings. 

So as long as the kidnapper feels he is "doing the right thing", it's OK?  You cannot be serious.  I'm sure both of those real life kidnappers thought of themselves as doing something good for their victims, that they were "saving" them or "protecting" them from the evils of the world.  Their motive inside their own mind does not make it OK.

Yes, I am serious.  Ben figured he had two choices: kill Alex or raise her.  To straight minded people like us, there are obviously more choices than that.  Far better ones in fact.  I'm not trying to paint Ben as an angle.  He is a very flawed person, but the choice he made shows that there is a caring person inside.  I don't look at that scene where he takes Alex and think "God, what a good person."  I think, "Wow, what a waste of a good soulĒ  Deep down he is a good person.  It's just too bad that he has a crappy layer of crap on the outside.  He is not like Keamy, for example.  Keamy is total crap all the way to the bone.  Ben is not like Keamy.  I guess what I'm saying is that there is a difference between bad people and good people who make bad choices.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 06:17:29 PM »
Imagine a docudrama of the Jaycee Dugard story or that girl in Utah (I forget her name) and portray their kidnapper's "love" for their victim as some benevolent act to rescue them from a bad situation.  It is unforgivable for TPTB to portray this aspect of Ben this way.

RM, I think No Pants Gary is right - the writers are always trying to get the viewers to see that everyone sees themselves as the good guys.  Good is relative and subjective.