Author Topic: Why Smokey picked Locke  (Read 5675 times)

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Why Smokey picked Locke
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 09:28:41 PM »
Opgelost, do NOT let mean people stop you from saying things in this Forum!!!  You let us know who they are and let's just say we'll them an offer they can't refuse.  Keep the good ideas coming!

Lakie....  you are so awesome.

LiL...   you too!  And Bob.  Okay, can't leave anyone out...

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 10:21:33 PM »
I really love the theories in this thread. This is why I come here, because you guys get me thinking in directions I never would have myself.

My take on "why Locke" is a little simpler. Smokey needed a new leader to get access to Jacob in order to have ben kill him. He planted the seed of Locke's self-fulfilling prophecy of becoming the Leader which was fostered by Locke going back to the 1950's to tell Richard, "I'm your leader". Also, he told Locke through Richard that he would have to leave the island, die, then come back. (which allowed him to take his form and trick everyone).

So, the fundamental question of why did he take Locke through this journey and not someone else? Well, I think it was answered by our undercover cop Eddie back in Locke's hippie commune days, the profile on John Locke said he was susceptiple to coercion. If Locke was told he was the leader and was supposed to die, he was the one who would actually believe it. Basically, he was the easiest mark for a long con.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 12:42:53 PM »
But when was he coerced?

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 01:48:20 PM »
I think MIB meant Locke was easily manipulated
who else would so easily begin pushing buttons every 108 minutes and blow up a submarine to stay on the island ?

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 01:49:53 PM »
But when was he coerced?
A few times, most importantly at the Beechcraft when Richard told him he would have to leave the island, bring everyone back, and die doing it.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 03:45:39 PM »
But when was he coerced?
A few times, most importantly at the Beechcraft when Richard told him he would have to leave the island, bring everyone back, and die doing it.

We're in a loop!  And you're probably right!

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 04:08:04 PM »
LOL there seems to be alot of loops in Lost lately. I just know if some dude in guyliner told me I had to die, I'd punch him in the throat.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 11:14:41 PM »
LOL there seems to be alot of loops in Lost lately. I just know if some dude in guyliner told me I had to die, I'd punch him in the throat.
...and drag him off into the jungle

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 09:43:31 AM »
Opgelost, do NOT let mean people stop you from saying things in this Forum!!!  You let us know who they are and let's just say we'll them an offer they can't refuse.  Keep the good ideas coming!

E.S.B. the forum diplomat! :-* :-*

Hey we do not all have to agree but we can be kinder about it.  doubt that will happe though ;)

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 09:47:53 AM »
I'm almost scared to say it, but I think he choose Locke, because he was the only one he could talk to into dying for the island.
No other would have willingly died out of faith.

Well, he was told he would have to die.  and if MIB is the one who influenced this it would make sense.  MIB knew that Locke was the only one who knew the island was better than his real life. MIB said that to Ben.  So this is right on target.

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 11:21:24 AM »

Hey we do not all have to agree but we can be kinder about it.  doubt that will happe though ;)
Yeah, I have zero tolerance for people who do not respect someone else's opinion, even if you disagree.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 01:31:17 PM »

Yeah, I have zero tolerance for people who do not respect someone else's opinion, even if you disagree.

you know that is why we all adore you!

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 11:46:25 AM »
Bob (i wrote this a few times after the same thing has been asked) Claire was able to identify her father at the time as him because she was not under the influence of MIB.  When next we see Locke coming to the cabin, Claire all calm and drugged, Locke asks her where Aaron is and Christian replies he is where he needs to be away from here (or something to that extent)  then Locke asks Claire if she is okay and she replies I am with him.

This is very important because she never says my Dad or Christian just him.  And when she shows up and see Dogen she refers to him again as him.  So if it were Christian why would she not say, when Locke was there i am here with my Dad.  But she doesn't'.

Yes,  MIB had to use Christians body as he intercepted that when it landed on the island.  The only caveat would be if the body was not on that plane, like in LA X time.  If that is the case then Christian is another story.

I believe that Christian was Smokey for a certain amount of time. But funny how we have not seen him since he told Lapidus and Sun to wait there for John Locke.  Then there were posts about seeing smoke around the cabin when they came upon the old DI greeting station.  And if I am not mistaken that when Sun and Lapidus made it to shore the smoke monster was parting trees etc.

So at the end MIB used Christian

Yeah, but you're saying that as if people talk talk like that in the real world. If I was in a similar situation, I wouldn't say, "I'm with my father", I'd say, "I'm with him". Don't know how it plays out where ever you live, but around me, this was completely normal.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 02:35:13 PM »
I do NOT think Christian has been working for MIB.  It's more of a sense than something I can prove.  If MIB has been after Jack, it's done a pitiful job of motivating him. 

I wonder if there are two Christians? How could Christian appear off the island if he was MIB?  ???
I could go either way, maybe he really is MIB or working for him, or maybe he is one of Jacob's ghosts.
Christian has been in his suit and he's appeared in casual clothes.

The bottom line is that no one should be made to feel bad if they have a different theory. We don't know what will happen and who is who right now. No one is wrong.
I, too think there are two Christians.  The first Christian with the glowing white shoes saved Jack and the other losties by leading Jack to the caves where there was a clean water source.  Christian's empty casket was also there.  MIB wouldn't have much interest in saving the Losties, would he?  The Christian who said, in Claire's presence, that Aaron is where he needs to be might be either the real Christian or MIB.  I'm wondering why he said that if he was MIB. 

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 03:33:10 PM »
I do NOT think Christian has been working for MIB.  It's more of a sense than something I can prove.  If MIB has been after Jack, it's done a pitiful job of motivating him. 

I wonder if there are two Christians? How could Christian appear off the island if he was MIB?  ???
I could go either way, maybe he really is MIB or working for him, or maybe he is one of Jacob's ghosts.
Christian has been in his suit and he's appeared in casual clothes.

The bottom line is that no one should be made to feel bad if they have a different theory. We don't know what will happen and who is who right now. No one is wrong.
I, too think there are two Christians.  The first Christian with the glowing white shoes saved Jack and the other losties by leading Jack to the caves where there was a clean water source.  Christian's empty casket was also there.  MIB wouldn't have much interest in saving the Losties, would he?  The Christian who said, in Claire's presence, that Aaron is where he needs to be might be either the real Christian or MIB.  I'm wondering why he said that if he was MIB. 

Two semi-reasonable answers. MIB (If it was him, I'm not even sure what I beleive anymore) may have led them to fresh water because he needed them alive for something specific, like Dan and Charlotte shutting down the gas plant. As for him "worrying" about Aaron, maybe he said that because he just didn't need/want the baby around.