Author Topic: more names  (Read 2292 times)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: more names
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 06:37:25 PM »
For what it's worth (and it is completely unimportant), I think #28 is "Holland".  (Can anyone guess why it caught my eye?)  :)

Not according to this image. LOL

Offline Holland34

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 06:47:09 PM »
Okay... I tried to just provide the link.  Hopefully that will work.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 06:48:30 PM »
Okay... I tried to just provide the link.  Hopefully that will work.

There's more than enough pics on the front page, no worries.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 11:53:50 PM »
Ok guys, I was looking through http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Candidates and it appears there are more people with their names NOT crossed out. Here is the list, asides from the obvious six (4 8 15 16 23 42):

40 - Dowsen
51 - Austen
56 - Hansen
60 - Kysea

So there are other names not crossed out... Coincidence, prop error?

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 12:20:49 AM »
What number do you think this Jacob was?....

Offline infrared41

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 02:20:32 AM »
This is oversimplifying it but I think you'll get where I am going. My theory is that the numbers on the compass and the corresponding names are just coordinates.  In other words, if Jacob wants to "look in" on Jack then the wheel needs to be set to number 23. Most of the names listed that we're familiar with are people who have played a role in the story. If you look back at LOST over time, there have been a lot of instances where one person knew things about another that they should have never known. For instance, when Mikhail knew all about Locke, Sayid, and Kate. Or when Juliet and Ben knew all that info about Jack when he was being held at the Hydra station. The compass at the lighthouse and the list in the cave may simply explain how that happens. You dial up the person you want to "watch" and there they are. It's unrealistic to think that every person on that Island has been a candidate. A few of them are but I believe the rest of the name/number correlation is simply a place marker or a "scorecard" for lack of a better term. I really don't believe that every name listed has been a "candidate." Think about it, Karl? Friendly? Some of the names were such bit players that it's hard to imagine they had any relevance to anything.

As far as the cave vs the lighthouse the symbolism is obvious. In short, un-Locke has the cave. He's "evil" so he's going to be "underground" or "below" like Hell. Jacob is "good" so he's in the lighthouse. He's "up" he's in a spot where he can observe from above. The names and numbers are simply a scorecard to keep track of the players.

The real question is what game are we playing?

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 07:14:07 AM »
I've been trying to remember the co-ordinates that were given to Michael/Walt when they went off in the boat. I wonder if it correlates to whatever numbers they have on the list...? Probably not but I like to muse on these things!

I can see what you're saying about this being a place to 'spy' on our losties but I honestly think that the knowledge you're referring to was gained from files and from satellite observation, like when Ben showed Juliette her sister Rachel...

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 10:42:05 AM »
This is oversimplifying it but I think you'll get where I am going. My theory is that the numbers on the compass and the corresponding names are just coordinates.  In other words, if Jacob wants to "look in" on Jack then the wheel needs to be set to number 23. Most of the names listed that we're familiar with are people who have played a role in the story. If you look back at LOST over time, there have been a lot of instances where one person knew things about another that they should have never known. For instance, when Mikhail knew all about Locke, Sayid, and Kate. Or when Juliet and Ben knew all that info about Jack when he was being held at the Hydra station. The compass at the lighthouse and the list in the cave may simply explain how that happens. You dial up the person you want to "watch" and there they are. It's unrealistic to think that every person on that Island has been a candidate. A few of them are but I believe the rest of the name/number correlation is simply a place marker or a "scorecard" for lack of a better term. I really don't believe that every name listed has been a "candidate." Think about it, Karl? Friendly? Some of the names were such bit players that it's hard to imagine they had any relevance to anything.

As far as the cave vs the lighthouse the symbolism is obvious. In short, un-Locke has the cave. He's "evil" so he's going to be "underground" or "below" like Hell. Jacob is "good" so he's in the lighthouse. He's "up" he's in a spot where he can observe from above. The names and numbers are simply a scorecard to keep track of the players.

Well, alot of the info that Mikhail had on these people was info that could have been found via electronic (legal, illeagal??) means. this idea does answer one of the questions that has been buggin me for a while now. When Juliette went to the secret stash to get the needles and stuff to "cure" Claire, Sayid and Sawyer showed up to play police with her and demanded the bag, etc. WELL, Julliette busts out a line on Sawyer about how he killed a man in cold blood the night before he left Australia. That always bugged me, because how could the others have known?? The only two people there were Sawyer and the guy he shot, and the guy he shot obviously isn't telling anyone. So Maybe Jacob was watching him, and let the Others know to be careful because he shot this dude. Thanks for the mental jumpstart Infrared.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 12:55:15 PM »

I like your post, but I don't think it is unrealistic to assume everyone on the island was at one point a candidate. Why? There's been a theory since the beginning of the show that everyone on Oceanic 815 was chosen and guided to the island. I think that this theory has been pretty well proven for some of the characters. I would venture that no one comes to the island without Jacob knowing about it, and few people come to the island without Jacob allowing them to. Keamy may have been one of those few, but we all know what happened to him and his men. Bram and company may have been others that Jacob didn't want, and they got Smokey-fied. I think it is perfectly realistic to assume everyone's name on the Lighthouse and in the cave are Candidates.

Offline infrared41

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 09:29:23 PM »

I like your post, but I don't think it is unrealistic to assume everyone on the island was at one point a candidate. Why? There's been a theory since the beginning of the show that everyone on Oceanic 815 was chosen and guided to the island. I think that this theory has been pretty well proven for some of the characters. I would venture that no one comes to the island without Jacob knowing about it, and few people come to the island without Jacob allowing them to. Keamy may have been one of those few, but we all know what happened to him and his men. Bram and company may have been others that Jacob didn't want, and they got Smokey-fied. I think it is perfectly realistic to assume everyone's name on the Lighthouse and in the cave are Candidates.
Based on that logic you're ready to say that Frogurt, Nikki and Paolo, Artz, the hypochondriac from the golf course in Season One(I forget his name), and a host of others were all candidates?

Not that I'm disagreeing or questioning your logic but; care to state your case for why Frogurt or Nikki and Paolo were in line to take over for Jacob?  ;)

I'm with you on that being the case for "some" of the characters; but I just can't get onboard with the idea that everyone on the lists in the cave and the lighthouse are candidates.  All along it's been about getting Jack where he needs to be. If the "game" is a chess board then Jack is the King. Everyone else is playing a role but this whole "game" thing has been about Jack since day one. He's the one and only "candidate."

Un-Locke, while seemingly honest, is clearly the bad guy here. He may seem to be telling more "truth" than Jacob is right now but in reality, un-Locke isn't lying, he's simply omitting key facts as he "recruits." Up to this point we haven't seen Jacob play it straight with anyone. He's the good guy but honesty and being forthright isn't his strong suit. This whole idea of "candidates" is simply a diversionary tactic. Why is anyone's guess at this point but I think as things play out we'll see that there is not and never has been a list of "candidates." Jacob can easily manipulate what happens and he seems to know what's going to happen before it does etc. With that sort of ability, are we really supposed to believe that he has no idea who he wants to "replace" him? If that's even what he's looking for?

I've said it's been all about Jack since season one. I'm sticking with that until the show proves me wrong.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 07:15:31 PM »

Well, alot of the info that Mikhail had on these people was info that could have been found via electronic (legal, illeagal??) means. this idea does answer one of the questions that has been buggin me for a while now. When Juliette went to the secret stash to get the needles and stuff to "cure" Claire, Sayid and Sawyer showed up to play police with her and demanded the bag, etc. WELL, Julliette busts out a line on Sawyer about how he killed a man in cold blood the night before he left Australia. That always bugged me, because how could the others have known?? The only two people there were Sawyer and the guy he shot, and the guy he shot obviously isn't telling anyone. So Maybe Jacob was watching him, and let the Others know to be careful because he shot this dude. Thanks for the mental jumpstart Infrared.
THANK YOU!  I remember thinking from that scene that there just HAD to be a "supernatural" way of gathering info on the Losties.  You just put the last piece in that puzzle!

This leads to another issue though....do you think that Smokey also had access to the lighthouse as well with his apparent knowledge of everyone's past?

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 07:00:32 PM »
THANK YOU!  I remember thinking from that scene that there just HAD to be a "supernatural" way of gathering info on the Losties.  You just put the last piece in that puzzle!

This leads to another issue though....do you think that Smokey also had access to the lighthouse as well with his apparent knowledge of everyone's past?

Seems to me that the lighthouse was on the "temple's turf", so it makes sense that he didn't, but I have no real reason to think that.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 07:13:55 PM »

Seems to me that the lighthouse was on the "temple's turf", so it makes sense that he didn't, but I have no real reason to think that.
I'm of a mind that the cave was/is MIB's domain, so I see what you're saying.

I'm just wondering where then, did Smokey get all his intel!

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 07:20:27 PM »

I'm of a mind that the cave was/is MIB's domain, so I see what you're saying.

I'm just wondering where then, did Smokey get all his intel!

Something just occurred to me PL, what do you mean that he had info on their past?? Keep in mind that anything Locke knew/knows, so does MIB because he apparently has Locke's memories, or at the very least, he can access them.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 07:39:32 PM »
I'm speaking specifically about the flashes of Eko's past that could be seen in the black smoke as it came to him, & the scenes that replayed from Ben/Alex's lives as Ben was surrounded by the black smoke.