Author Topic: Why did Jacob just "burn up to ashes"?  (Read 3798 times)

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Why did Jacob just "burn up to ashes"?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 10:15:25 AM »
I mentioned this somewhere else, in the opening credits, previous on Lost, they show Smokey entering statues to attack Bram and others...the shot is of the fire pit as smokey enters and in the pit you can't see any material that burns, but you do still see flames...WTH!?!?!?

I remember once, early in the first season, seeing a screen shot of a beach scene and I could actually see part of a gas pipe running through the logs in the campfire, and the flames were coming out evenly every few inches.  It looked fine as the show played, but in a still shot it was hysterical!  Jacob's fire was so obviously different, in that there were no logs or fuel of any kind and the fact that jacob is completely gone.  MIB has referred to this once already, telling Ben that he can 'stop staring at the fire already, Jacob's gone' (paraphrasing). It has to have a deeper meaning.  I can't imagine that if they went through the trouble of installing a gas firepit on the beach for a quick pass-by scene, yet they wouldn't bother to at least throw a few fake logs into this one, which has so much more significance to the show, unless it is more than just a campfire.

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 04:29:47 PM »
[quote Ben that he can 'stop staring at the fire already, Jacob's gone' (paraphrasing). It has to have a deeper meaning.  I can't imagine that if they went through the trouble of installing a gas firepit on the beach for a quick pass-by scene, yet they wouldn't bother to at least throw a few fake logs into this one, which has so much more significance to the show, unless it is more than just a campfire.
[/quote]

It's possible that the fire is 3D.  I couldn't make an estimation for sure until I go back to look at the scene.  But 3D is expensive, so....I think I'm talking myself out of this as I type it.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 05:03:53 PM »
He's obviously an ET!

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 05:04:05 PM »
Or a Zombie

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 12:02:58 AM »
You know I had a theory earlier today after I left work about how maybe Jacob didn't actually die (yes, I changed my mind) and it was completely shot down with that scene with Dogen and Hurley. Damn it.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 03:19:21 AM »
He did like Obi Won Kenobi vs Darth Vader, he just disapeared! lol
Mad props!  Hurley must have read your post! ;)