Author Topic: Why did Jacob just "burn up to ashes"?  (Read 3806 times)

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Why did Jacob just "burn up to ashes"?
« on: February 21, 2010, 04:32:19 PM »
okay somethign i thoguht right when jacob caught asunder... why did he burn up so quickly... then ben mentioned to Ilana that jacob just burned away... why did he burn up so fast and left nothing but ash? was he that old that his bones just smoldered?

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Why did Jacob just "burn up to ashes"?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 05:22:23 PM »
Maybe magic is highly flammable.  ;D

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 05:47:56 PM »
I wondered this too.  It seemed weird that there was no trace whatsoever that there had been a person in that fire.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 09:28:58 PM »
He burned freakishly quick alright. And come on, No bones? Last time I checked the body must be dipped in lava to reach that level of burning.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 11:43:13 PM »
He's a witch.

Offline Beej

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 08:25:18 AM »
He did like Obi Won Kenobi vs Darth Vader, he just disapeared! lol

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 01:43:39 PM »
He burned freakishly quick alright. And come on, No bones? Last time I checked the body must be dipped in lava to reach that level of burning.

Last time you checked?......Uh, how often do you get to check on this sort of thing?  :-[  Just asking is all, I won't tell!  ;)

He's a witch.

Too bad we didn't get to see if he floats...like wood...or a duck!

He did like Obi Won Kenobi vs Darth Vader, he just disapeared! lol

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine!"  Could be!

OK, now for my ACTUAL reply.  I think that scene was meant to be confusing to set up a future big reveal.  Either:

There is something special about that particular fire (all consuming.....fire and brimstone...that sort of thing).  Maybe
we are being led to believe that Jacob is good but we'll find out differently later.  I hope not because I think that would be too much of a fake out with ALL the black/white references and the obvious calm and comforting demeanor of Jacob vs. the angry killing machine that is the MIB/smoke monster.  But it would explain why his 'campfire' burns, with no apparent fuel source, hot enough to fully consume a person.

Or:
There is something special about what happened to Jacob (like the Obi Won scene mentioned).  Maybe we are meant to wonder if Jacob is actually gone or if has he just become completely spiritual at this point.  He may be that young boy appearing to MIB in a former image that he is familiar with (I lean more toward that boy being an even higher power than both of them, but who knows at this point!).

Either way, I'm convinced this will be addressed later, not that we need any more mysteries to be concerned about at this late date!  ::)

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 03:20:36 PM »
I think he died in the fire, which is why Hurley was able to see and talk to him, but it was like lostfan said, totally an Obi Wan moment, which is why he burned up instantly. Obviously normal biological rules don't apply to him, or else he would have aged like a normal person, and died like a normal person. Since neither of those things seemed to happen to him, I don't think you should be trying to apply the laws or rules that govern what happens to us to Jacob.

Also like Lostfan said, it will probably be addressed later in some fashion, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. One way or the other, within 3 months, we'll know.

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 05:19:42 PM »
Just to add, unless I am missing something - the fire seemed to go out pretty quickly, or at least be cool enough for Alana to collect the ash into her pouch.
I was under the impression that Jacob burned, Richard was beaten and taken and then Alana collected the ash, all in the space of 10 or 15mins or so, so my thinking is that the fire should have still been burning or at least still red/ white hot.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 07:25:10 PM »
I wondered this too.  It seemed weird that there was no trace whatsoever that there had been a person in that fire.
MIB ate him after Ben went outside

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 07:59:40 PM »
I think the better question is why did MIB kick him into the fire to begin with?...Was it done with a purposeful knowledge of what would happen afterwards, that his ashes would be needed, etc, etc...He could have just been left to die from the stab wound, he didn't need to be set on fire as well. So was that part of a necessary "ritual"? Just the MIB being mean? lol...

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 08:47:48 PM »
I think he died in the fire, which is why Hurley was able to see and talk to him, but it was like lostfan said, totally an Obi Wan moment, which is why he burned up instantly. Obviously normal biological rules don't apply to him, or else he would have aged like a normal person, and died like a normal person. Since neither of those things seemed to happen to him, I don't think you should be trying to apply the laws or rules that govern what happens to us to Jacob.  Agreed.

Also like Lostfan said, it will probably be addressed later in some fashion, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. One way or the other, within 3 months, we'll know.
I love this & I hate this so much. :-[

I think the better question is why did MIB kick him into the fire to begin with?...Was it done with a purposeful knowledge of what would happen afterwards, that his ashes would be needed, etc, etc...He could have just been left to die from the stab wound, he didn't need to be set on fire as well. So was that part of a necessary "ritual"? Just the MIB being mean? lol...
Good question.  Obviously the way things played out was disturbing to Ben, but Jacob seemed so stoic, even in the moment of his death.  Why DIDN'T he fight back?  MIB seemed to purposefully kick him into the fire, then Ilana knew to collect some of his ashes, & of course Jacob's spirit communicated with Hurley.  I'm convinced that even Jacob's murder is part of the "progress" propelling them all to when it WILL finally "end."

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 08:50:58 PM »
I mentioned this somewhere else, in the opening credits, previous on Lost, they show Smokey entering statues to attack Bram and others...the shot is of the fire pit as smokey enters and in the pit you can't see any material that burns, but you do still see flames...WTH!?!?!?

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 11:45:55 PM »

I think yes, he was just driving home the point of how much he hates him, and wanted him to suffer as much as possible. I think Jacob would have vanished at the exact moment of his death (I think that's what happened anyway) regardless of whether or not he was burned. MIB probably knew that and wanted to see him hurt.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 12:30:29 AM »
didnt they kill jacob at night? and then the next day they came out and then later that day ilana went in?