Author Topic: What is in that backpack??  (Read 3739 times)

Offline LockedInLost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
What is in that backpack??
« on: February 17, 2010, 11:23:14 PM »
What is in that backpack that UnLocke has to carry around with him everywhere?

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: What is in that backpack??
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 04:08:11 AM »
Clean underwear.

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 07:33:47 AM »
I recalled that FakeLocke was on the beach putting some shoes in a backpack just before Ben shoots Caesar in Dead is Dead (episode 5x12) so I did a few screen grabs to check it out.

Hearing no further objections, Ben and Locke commandeered the boat and took it over to the main island, where we get a better look at the shoes FakeLocke puts back on at the dock.

I guess it shouldn't be too surprising that he has the same clothes that Locke was to be buried in, but the shoes, man. THE SHOES!

Here's the scene where Heloise tells Jack he has to give Locke something that belonged to his father.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGT6ZaPjasU#t=0m45s

Watching it again and thinking of how Locke is a substitute for Christian on the Ajira flight, when Jack says, "Why would he kill himself?" I got a chill thinking Jack may have asked (should have asked?) the same question about his father.

And here's a pic of the shoes Jack got from his grandfather's suitcase in 316 (episode 5x06).

And of course Jack had to put them on Locke's dead feet.

I don't know what it all the means. I'm just saying that particular set of footwear got a lot of closeups, and so I don't think we've seen the last of Christian's shoes.

His black, black shoes.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 08:27:14 AM »
Good catch, ericd.

Also, did we ever find out what it was that Ben put into the (was it a backpack?) that he got out of the ceiling of the hotel room, right before he and Jack were getting ready for the Ajira flight?  Remember, when he told Jack "You look terrible" because Jack had been looking for more pills?  I got the impression that whatever it was that Ben was getting was something that it was very critical that it get back to the island.  Maybe that's what's in Flocke's backpack?

Offline Walkabout V.2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:41:23 AM »
Good catch, ericd.

Also, did we ever find out what it was that Ben put into the (was it a backpack?) that he got out of the ceiling of the hotel room, right before he and Jack were getting ready for the Ajira flight?  Remember, when he told Jack "You look terrible" because Jack had been looking for more pills?  I got the impression that whatever it was that Ben was getting was something that it was very critical that it get back to the island.  Maybe that's what's in Flocke's backpack?
I thought it was the gun he used used to bus-a-cap in Des with. The box was small that he removed from the vent. I suspect along with gun it was a multitude of different passports and currencies like in Tunisia.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 09:53:52 AM »
I recalled that FakeLocke was on the beach putting some shoes in a backpack just before Ben shoots Caesar in Dead is Dead (episode 5x12) so I did a few screen grabs to check it out.

Hearing no further objections, Ben and Locke commandeered the boat and took it over to the main island, where we get a better look at the shoes FakeLocke puts back on at the dock.

I guess it shouldn't be too surprising that he has the same clothes that Locke was to be buried in, but the shoes, man. THE SHOES!

Here's the scene where Heloise tells Jack he has to give Locke something that belonged to his father.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGT6ZaPjasU#t=0m45s

Watching it again and thinking of how Locke is a substitute for Christian on the Ajira flight, when Jack says, "Why would he kill himself?" I got a chill thinking Jack may have asked (should have asked?) the same question about his father.

And here's a pic of the shoes Jack got from his grandfather's suitcase in 316 (episode 5x06).

And of course Jack had to put them on Locke's dead feet.

I don't know what it all the means. I'm just saying that particular set of footwear got a lot of closeups, and so I don't think we've seen the last of Christian's shoes.

His black, black shoes.

I just thought of something, can anyone confirm if, in the underwater scene of othertown in the "did not crash" timeline, first episode of the season,  they showed Christians white shoes in a tree?

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 07:09:26 AM »
I just thought of something, can anyone confirm if, in the underwater scene of othertown in the "did not crash" timeline, first episode of the season,  they showed Christians white shoes in a tree?

Since I started this I guess should follow up. Could be fun. I took a look at the underwater Dharmaville scene you're talking about and I didn't see anything that I thought could be construed as Christian's white tennis shoes hanging from a tree.

Tho I know what you mean. Didn't we see someone's white tennis shoes hanging from a tree once? Was it in the S1 pilot when jack first was up?, or AnnaLucia rescued Bernard, or somewhere in my memory I recall tennis shoes in a tree. Where was that?

I am going thu that scene in VLC player on my lightly little mac mini here. VLC can do screenshots. So I grabbed the points of interest while watching it in slo-mo. Am also learning how to export clips and upload to youtube, so I put the opening scene up there, with Jack on the plane first. I should be able to deep link to the beginning of the underwater stuff, if not, just skip to 5:05 of this video.

I enjoy this kind of thing. It was fun re-watching. For example, at about 1:30 in the YouTube clip, CINDY: Don't tell anyone. JACK: It'll be our secret.

Then the plane shakes a bit. (the incident happens in alternate timeline?)

And after that, my favorite part, Rose telling Jack "You can let go now. (pause) It's okay. You can let go." Jack heaves a sigh of relief (other thoughts?  remembering?) and says "Yeah." Rose says, "Looks like we made it."

Oh you Lost writers, you kill me! lol

Anyway, here's some pics of what I thought were the highlights of the underwater tour of Dharmaville.

Lost-underwater-01-school-of-fish

Once we've dived in. this is confirmed. We're underwater. There's a school of fish.

Lost-underwater-02-sonic-fence

Familiar sight, we see remnants of the sonic fence.

Lost-underwater-03-dharma-cabins

yep, it's the Dharma cabins...

Lost-underwater-04-swingset

I remember the swingset where Ben pushed Alex in better times. Or did he? Mu-wha-ha-ha!

stay on target...

Lost-underwater-05-shoes1-question-mark

Shoe alert meter comes off it's peg...

Point of interest, right-left-wise its square in the middle, about 25% down from the top of the frame, there's something kinda white in one of the trees. I stepped through it with VLC player and it didn't resolve to anything very shoe-like. I don't have the technology to step throughout the frames. I just slow it down in VLC and then pause-unpause, grabbing a snap where it's noteworthy. Let me know if this is the part you are talking about and I can investigate further, but I don't see any video evidence there.

Lost-underwater-06-bramble

After the swingset there are two sequences where they zoom through some underwater bramble. This is probably how they explain via editing that these places can be far apart. You point the camera up for a second, or zoom past some underwater bramble, and then it picks up again out of the fog, and you've progressed over 'some distance'. I stepped through these parts as best I could and did not see anything. But AFAIk Widmore could have inserted a frame in there that I missed.

The four toed statue is too close to Dharmaville if you judge it by the apparent speed and the time it takes in this sequence. I see where the complaints come from, but I think this sequence is not like we're walking from one place to another, more like the POV we saw smokey do in The Substitute. It's subtle but I buy it. It's like when they were hiking Locke's body to the grave site at the beach. It didn't seem like enough time to get from here to there but they gave us a couple of shots to show "some distance has passed".

Lost-underwater-07-shark-and-ruins

Shark ahead. Note the two pieces of ruins on the right side of your screen. These rocks will be in the final shot of the four toed statue. Obelisk?  lol, but seems like some extra structure that, I dunno, was maybe there a long time ago? I don't recall little stone obelisks (now toppled) that were there in other scenes. Prolly nothing.

Lost-underwater-08-dharma-shark

The thing I noticed here is that while watching it in motion you can definitely see a barcode-like tattoo near the forward fin on the shark. I don't have enough res on this photo to confirm tho, but I submit there is something there.

Oh you CGI guys that work on Lost. You know that by adding a little tidbit on the shark that someone somewhere would step through it frame by frame, looking for a clue. Didn't you? I know 3D animation is a frame-by-frame endeavor. You're funning' us now aren't you. *shakes fist towards TPTB*

Let's say it's a barcode. No biggee if you ask me. Probably just a Dharma barcode for tracking their shiz.

Lost-underwater-09-shark2-barcode

closer on the shark. barcode still in view on the far right of the frame, just above the pectoral fin?

Lost-underwater-10-shark-tat

best shot I could get of the Dharma logo on the Shark's tail. Kinda blurry, need to update my tech. Anyway, maybe this is the same shark that pursued the S1 raft? That's cool. The stories this shark tail could tell!

Lost-underwater-11-ol-four-toes

After a close pass on the corner of the base of the statue, where we see some coral, the camera pulls back to reveal Ol' Four Toes. My first thought… yay! cool!  re-watching for 4th time in slo-mo… Monty Python and how the foot comes down with  PFFFTTT! sound fx.

And btw, doesn't Jacob's loom room have a skylight? i remember a skylight.

need to look THAT up now, lol, processing… yeah, smokey took one of Bram's gang out through the roof in LA X part 1

It seemed to have a much more airy feel to the room. This underwater version seems smooshed. Maybe the main room is pushed into the floor of the seabed. Hu-rumph.
--
interesting  discussion on Lostpedia revels that the extra ruins I noticed at the end of the clip is probably the Ahnk that the statue was holding

for discussion of what it might mean that the island is underwater check out this thread.

Could it be... a Paradox? (There's that word again).

I was just looking for some shoes. :-)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:25:52 AM by ericd543 »

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 12:46:09 PM »
Whoa, eric, that was awesome!

I didn't see any white shoes. Lots of sand. But no shoes. I was just going to say that the ruins with the shark was the top and arm of an ankh, but it looks like Lostpedia beat me to it.

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 01:23:44 PM »
That was way cool!

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 01:39:13 PM »
I do not know what is in the backpack but it must be something important. They make a point of locke always taking it off and back on. It is going to be some proof to help Flocke convince the losties of his point of view.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 02:02:51 PM »
I do not know what is in the backpack but it must be something important. They make a point of locke always taking it off and back on. It is going to be some proof to help Flocke convince the losties of his point of view.
Maybe it's another fortune-cookie ankh.

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 12:58:28 AM »
was showing a friend Lost episode 1, trying to talk her into watching from the beginning, anyway

jacks runs from jungle
and what do I see? a shoe
hanging from a tree

Turns out Lostpedia has a page on the tennis shoe.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 10:28:35 AM »
was showing a friend Lost episode 1, trying to talk her into watching from the beginning, anyway

jacks runs from jungle
hanging from a tree

Thanks for the earlier video run down,

I am almost sure that in an episode this season, they showed a pair of tennis shoes in a tree, my mind could be playing tricks on me though,
As opposed to the shot you show with one shoe I seem to remember a pair hanging in a tree

Maybe I am crazy, actually nevermind maybe crazy, no doubt there,

Maybe I am wrong.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 11:21:02 AM »
Considering Unlocke's nature, my first question is: is that really a backpack?

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 04:00:20 AM »

jacks runs from jungle
hanging from a tree

Thanks for the earlier video run down,

I am almost sure that in an episode this season, they showed a pair of tennis shoes in a tree, my mind could be playing tricks on me though,
As opposed to the shot you show with one shoe I seem to remember a pair hanging in a tree.

I know!  I recall seeing someone stuff a shoe in a tree or something. So I went a-lookin' through the jungle scenes in 601-604.

Executive summary: No new shoes in trees that I noticed.

But I also got to wonderin' what shoes Locke was buried in. This is interesting, if you ask me. The detail is not so hot but I think they do not look like Christian's dress shoes. Plus it looks like duct tape or something wrapped around the right shoe. closeups 1 2 and 3

It would seem that MIB changed his shoes somewhere along the way. Here it is -- in Follow the Leader (ep 515 at 7:02) he has changed from the funeral clothes into t-shirt and brown pants and new shoes. Which means he was not wearing Christian's shoes when he was in the temple when Jacob was killed. Tho I'm guessing he had them in the backpack at this time. Along with a canteen.

He was definitely wearing comfy shoes when he picked up the machete before going to see Sawyer and chasing the jungle boy.

Do the white tennis shoes have meaning? Probably not, but I'll keep an eye out, and if those black shoes are brought out of the backpack at a crucial moment in the future, (to prove something to Jack about his being manipulated?) well, you heard it here first. lol

Rewatching for details is fun. I also noticed that all of the temple others are barefoot, and the beach others are definitely shoe-wearers. (different Jacob sects?) Red seems to be the accent color of choice for temple others, from turbans, to headbands, from Aldo's zubas, to Cindy's red hair ribbon. MIB takes a sample from the red tapestry to clean the murder weapon. That knife is similar but different from the knife Locke chose as a kid from objects Richard showed him. Hurley was sporting a big ol' red shirt, more red than all the Others put together. Jungle boy was barefoot.

and we do get a shot of Locke-X's bare feet. I counted the toes.

Maybe I am crazy, actually nevermind maybe crazy, no doubt there,

Crazy, you say?

I call.  :-)