Author Topic: How are the numbers related to the names???  (Read 6917 times)

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: How are the numbers related to the names???
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 01:08:09 PM »
Got to disagree with you there, Lostfan.  There is no way that when the French team arrived and picked up the man reading the numbers that was just a random assigning.  No, the French team, Lenny and Danielle all either heard or said those numbers for a reason.  If there is anything that would be like Christmas morning to me on this show is for the writers to elegantly and concisely bring in the Valenzetti and Hanso connections and make those numbers matter.

I seem to recall reading an interview with Cuse and Lindeloff where one of them basically said the numbers are significant, but they couldn't think of any way why they could explain those particular numbers as being significant - i.e. why they chpse the numbers to use as 4 8 15 16 23 42 instead of  3 5 13 18 27 39

WOW!! I haven't even gone that deep with it, LOL. Are some of us actually taking it that far?? I had no idea. I don't think they will tell us why "4" is important as a number, but the numbers as a whole better be revealed.

I think you are right - we won't know why "4" and not "2", and I don't think we'll ever be told.  But for a long time - during season 1 and 2 especially, I think people thought that there might be some mathematical significance to the numbers that were chosen.  I do think that they intentionally chose numbers that added up to 108 (I suspect 108 is a significant number - at least in the sense that there's a lot of outside references to that number that may have Lost tie ins) but there are lots of 6 number sequences that add up to 108.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 05:30:06 PM »
Got to disagree with you there, Lostfan.  There is no way that when the French team arrived and picked up the man reading the numbers that was just a random assigning.  No, the French team, Lenny and Danielle all either heard or said those numbers for a reason.  If there is anything that would be like Christmas morning to me on this show is for the writers to elegantly and concisely bring in the Valenzetti and Hanso connections and make those numbers matter.

This is interesting.  We know the numbers were broadcast since at least 1988 when the french team arrived.  All six of the broadcast numbers correspond to one of our Losties.  So does this mean that Jacob was "calling out" to our Losties for at least sixteen years (1988 to 2004) before they crashed on the island?

Also, if the name Littleton on the cave wall refers to Claire, why wasnt' her number broadcast with the other numbers?  Had she been removed (crossed off) from the candidates list before 1988 so her number (313) isnt' broadcast?  And yet she's still on flight 815 and crashes on the island, hmm

I was thinking the same thing, sort of like a siren song, but Rousseau changed the broadcast years before. Maybe the original intention was this, but it was never intended to be shut off, and that's why the other people whose names were on the wall showed up on the island (like Claire).

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2010, 03:04:52 PM »

This is interesting.  We know the numbers were broadcast since at least 1988 when the french team arrived.  All six of the broadcast numbers correspond to one of our Losties.  So does this mean that Jacob was "calling out" to our Losties for at least sixteen years (1988 to 2004) before they crashed on the island?

Also, if the name Littleton on the cave wall refers to Claire, why wasnt' her number broadcast with the other numbers?  Had she been removed (crossed off) from the candidates list before 1988 so her number (313) isnt' broadcast?  And yet she's still on flight 815 and crashes on the island, hmm

I was thinking the same thing, sort of like a siren song, but Rousseau changed the broadcast years before. Maybe the original intention was this, but it was never intended to be shut off, and that's why the other people whose names were on the wall showed up on the island (like Claire).

what im confussed about is that yes Danielle changed the numbers signal to her broadcast... then when the losties went to the tower so they can broadcast to the freighter.. they turned off the towers broadcast altogether...BUT when the ajira flight was crashlanding on the island (in what we later found to be 2007) you can hear the numbers being said over their radio in what is speculated to be Hurleys voice... how is that possible when the tower has been shut off???

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2010, 05:50:41 PM »
Are you sure it was After Ajira crashed?? I am 98% sure that happened after Danielle's crew crashed. The debate about it is under the episode "This place is death"...

http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php/topic,8625.0.html

Now that happened while Daniel, Charlotte, Miles, Sawyer, etc were all skipping through time via the flashes and they were reunited with Jin near the beach. Before they were reunited with Jin, he was with Rousseau's crew because they fished him out of the water. The episode after that is "316" and that is when Ajira crashed, so maybe that is where the confusion is coming from. If I'm wrong, believe me, I have no problem being told that. But I am pretty sure I'm right, because when the episode originally aired, alot of people were excited that they heard Huley's voice on the radio, but I didn't hear it, and then when I watched it on DVD, I deffinitely heard Hurley's voice.

Offline LOSTNightmaregk13

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2010, 08:29:51 PM »
not sure if this was mentioned but why were they being transmitted off the island?
(Rousseau ship crashed by getting too close to the signla emitting the numbers)
(oh and dharma using the numbers on the hatch swan station, why the quarantine sign while we're ate it)
(why did the looney guy on the first season was constantly repeating them causing hurley to win the lottery)

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2010, 09:26:57 PM »

what im confussed about is that yes Danielle changed the numbers signal to her broadcast... then when the losties went to the tower so they can broadcast to the freighter.. they turned off the towers broadcast altogether...BUT when the ajira flight was crashlanding on the island (in what we later found to be 2007) you can hear the numbers being said over their radio in what is speculated to be Hurleys voice... how is that possible when the tower has been shut off???

Because the numbers are never heard during the Ajira flight.  The numbers were heard when Danielle's team washes up on shore, along with Jin.  They here the nubmers on the radio they have with them.  Many have speculated it was Hurley's voice.  I sort of thought as much too, but I was theorizing that he would have put them there during the 1977 timeline, which never happened.  Maybe wasn't Hurley's voice at all.  Actually I think, IMHO, the 1977 timeline ended too soon in a sense, because there were probably a lot of questions that could only be answered in that time line, and now the opportunity to do so, is, well, Lost.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2010, 10:15:17 PM »
OH!!! I know what Bad Robot is talking about. In the episode "316", when the Ajira flight is coming through the clouds and Frank has to pull it out of the dive, you can hear the numbers over the pilot's radio. So I guess it did happen twice. Sorry BR, I didn't remember that until I read MachThree's last post. Let me re read what you said now and see if it hits my brain differently.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:55:21 AM by BobBX542 »

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2010, 10:23:05 PM »

Okay, yeah, now that I re-read it, I get it. Well, to answer your question, the simplest answer is going to be that at some point, someone turned the tower back on, and how was it Hurley's voice?? Well, IF it is Hurley on the radio, which we're still not 100% about I think (although I am now on the side that thinks it is him), then keep in mind there is time travel on this show, so maybe Hurley hasn't done it yet. Sort of like how Miles explains the time travel situation to Hurley. It has already happened, but we haven't experienced it yet.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2010, 10:22:11 AM »
Are you sure it was After Ajira crashed?? I am 98% sure that happened after Danielle's crew crashed. The debate about it is under the episode "This place is death"...

Now that happened while Daniel, Charlotte, Miles, Sawyer, etc were all skipping through time via the flashes and they were reunited with Jin near the beach. Before they were reunited with Jin, he was with Rousseau's crew because they fished him out of the water. The episode after that is "316" and that is when Ajira crashed, so maybe that is where the confusion is coming from. If I'm wrong, believe me, I have no problem being told that. But I am pretty sure I'm right, because when the episode originally aired, alot of people were excited that they heard Huley's voice on the radio, but I didn't hear it, and then when I watched it on DVD, I deffinitely heard Hurley's voice.

I wasnt sure what you were trying to argue and I cannot beleive thsi was not broght up sooner, although I am sure it has been,
Certainly a valid question as to how the numbers started transmitting again, when the towewr was shut down in 2004.

My best guess is that richard or dogen sent an "other" to the tower to restart the transmission.
Has anyone checked the original 2004, trasnmission to clarify Hurleys voice?

I beleive when Jin/Danilles team wash up it also sounds like hurley, which menas that the priginal should also sound like Hurley.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 11:42:21 AM »

I wasnt sure what you were trying to argue and I cannot beleive thsi was not broght up sooner, although I am sure it has been,
Certainly a valid question as to how the numbers started transmitting again, when the towewr was shut down in 2004.

My best guess is that richard or dogen sent an "other" to the tower to restart the transmission.

I beleive when Jin/Danilles team wash up it also sounds like hurley, which menas that the priginal should also sound like Hurley.

I wasn't trying to argue anything, just clarify. And I corrected myself as soon as I realized my omission.

As for the original transmission in 2004, that was Danielle's distress call. Now the radio transmission we heard when Ajira was crashing sounded like it could have been Hurley. This makes sense when you consider the following. Danielle's crew crash landed on the island and heard the numbers being transmitted, also in Hurley's voice. Danielle told Sayid (I believe in Season one, or maybe she told Jack in season three, I can't remember on a Monday) that she found the radio tower, turned off the transmission, recorded her message, and set that on a loop. NOW...If it really is Hurley's voice on that recording, then at some point in the past (we just have not seen it yet), Hurley recorded the numbers. THEN, at some other point it time between Ben turning the FDW in 2004 and Ajira crashing on the island in 2007 (that we have not seen yet) someone put them out on the transmission. Perhaps someone simply put the recording back on before Ajira crashed.

For what reason?? I haven't the slightest idea. Once again I'll refer to my "Siren song" idea. Like perhaps whoever put the transmission back on was attempting to call those people back to the island.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 12:07:21 PM »

I wasn't trying to argue anything, just clarify. And I corrected myself as soon as I realized my omission.

As for the original transmission in 2004, that was Danielle's distress call. Now the radio transmission we heard when Ajira was crashing sounded like it could have been Hurley. This makes sense when you consider the following. Danielle's crew crash landed on the island and heard the numbers being transmitted, also in Hurley's voice. Danielle told Sayid (I believe in Season one, or maybe she told Jack in season three, I can't remember on a Monday) that she found the radio tower, turned off the transmission, recorded her message, and set that on a loop. NOW...If it really is Hurley's voice on that recording, then at some point in the past (we just have not seen it yet), Hurley recorded the numbers. THEN, at some other point it time between Ben turning the FDW in 2004 and Ajira crashing on the island in 2007 (that we have not seen yet) someone put them out on the transmission. Perhaps someone simply put the recording back on before Ajira crashed.

For what reason?? I haven't the slightest idea. Once again I'll refer to my "Siren song" idea. Like perhaps whoever put the transmission back on was attempting to call those people back to the island.

Boy I am thick sometimes,  totally forgot it was danielles message in 2004,

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 11:30:04 PM »
It could be the numbers, if they are recorded in Hugo's voice, is an "echo" from the future after the flash sideways and the current timeline are rectified....with the island in flux - the current time and 1977 "merging" with figures from the future living in the past - the temporal aspect of the island was still rippling (for want of a better term). With the detonation of the bomb at the center of the energy - time is restored with everyone where they are supposed to be and how they could have been. Thus, as mentioned above, effect presedes cause and Hugo, for whatever reason will record the numbers.

Now here's a thought - what if the numbers heard were not from the tower, but were from an airing of Hugo winning the lottery in which he says the numbers he played to win. Just a thought since everything we broadcast is still bouncing around in space.....remember the survivors heard a radio station playing music from the 1940s....

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 11:35:02 PM »
ya i dont think definitively that is Hugo saying the numbers... it may be Jorge saying them... but dont know if its Hugo or not... if you listen when the french team hears the numbers and on the ajira flight... its hard to tell but i know on 16, and 23 you can tell its him just by the way he talks... if its him on the recording i dont know... though itd be cool.. especially how Hugo brought up time travel again in last nights episode "Lighthouse" when he talks about adam and eve.

also i want to say that its really cool to find out what the numbers actually represent finally... its just the numbers the names were assigned to on the lighthouse wheel. im happy with all this closure we are being given.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 11:00:57 AM »
ya i dont think definitively that is Hugo saying the numbers... it may be Jorge saying them... but dont know if its Hugo or not... if you listen when the french team hears the numbers and on the ajira flight... its hard to tell but i know on 16, and 23 you can tell its him just by the way he talks... if its him on the recording i dont know... though itd be cool.. especially how Hugo brought up time travel again in last nights episode "Lighthouse" when he talks about adam and eve.

also i want to say that its really cool to find out what the numbers actually represent finally... its just the numbers the names were assigned to on the lighthouse wheel. im happy with all this closure we are being given.

You know BR, sometimes I have a really hard time understanding what it is that you're really saying, LOL. So, you think the actor Jorge recorded the numbers, but on the show it will be portrayed as being someone other than Hurley?? As for the actual recording, when I originally watched those episodes on TV, I didn't hear Hurley reading the numbers at all. I just heard a voice. BUT, when I watched them on DVD, in both scenes, it was painfully clear that it was Hurley. They must have remastered the audio for the DVD's so that we can stop arguing about it. How little they know about us, right?? Fans could argue over what color the water is.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2010, 11:05:13 AM »

You know BR, sometimes I have a really hard time understanding what it is that you're really saying, LOL. So, you think the actor Jorge recorded the numbers, but on the show it will be portrayed as being someone other than Hurley?? As for the actual recording, when I originally watched those episodes on TV, I didn't hear Hurley reading the numbers at all. I just heard a voice. BUT, when I watched them on DVD, in both scenes, it was painfully clear that it was Hurley. They must have remastered the audio for the DVD's so that we can stop arguing about it. How little they know about us, right?? Fans could argue over what color the water is.

Don't listen to all the greenish-blue folks, it's definitely bluish-green!   ;)