Author Topic: How are the numbers related to the names???  (Read 6988 times)

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: How are the numbers related to the names???
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 03:30:34 AM »
rewatching it.. the only 2 names i saw that arent 815ers is "Otoole" and "mattigly" i wonder...

Offline Walkabout V.2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 09:53:26 AM »
its not numerology. the numbers dont "add up" to the names assigned to each one... anyone else know a number/ words relation that could answer the relation?
Was Hugo's name on the list Ben gave to Michael at the end of Season 2? If not what would be the purpose of Kate's name being on the list vs her not having her name, with a corresponding Valenzetti number, scribed on the Cave-O-Fame? Sorry, but i just feel lost on some things.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 10:03:26 AM »
I think both Jacob and MIB created thoer own lists, and somehow came up with the same names, so whatever formula they used they both reached the same conclusions.

Maybe only MIB's list has numbers attached,

I think the reason Kate was on the first list and not on the second is because The first list was created by Ben not Jacob, he wanted to use Kate as a pawn to force Jack to operate, (yes he was that calculated)

Offline Walkabout V.2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 10:13:25 AM »
I think both Jacob and MIB created thoer own lists, and somehow came up with the same names, so whatever formula they used they both reached the same conclusions.

Maybe only MIB's list has numbers attached,

I think the reason Kate was on the first list and not on the second is because The first list was created by Ben not Jacob, he wanted to use Kate as a pawn to force Jack to operate, (yes he was that calculated)
Sorry, I am getting old and don't remember as well as i did in my younger days but you certainly did jog my 38 year old memory. Thank you.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 01:14:30 PM »
Early on, the numbers seemed huge, one of the biggest mysteries.  Then later, TPTB said the numbers weren't that important and alot of us threw a fit.  Then they said we'll be seeing the numbers again in the final season.  The last thing I heard them say was that all good mysteries need to have some questions left unanswered and that we'll be getting answers to the big questions, like why were these people brought to the island, but that we may not be getting all the answers such as what the numbers mean......aaaargh!

I think this may be a lame attempt by the writers to 'wrap up' the numbers because they know we want answers.  They are saying, 'see, the numbers have always been important in the lives of our characters', but I'm afraid this will be one of those mysteries that will be left hanging.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 02:29:29 PM »
Got to disagree with you there, Lostfan.  There is no way that when the French team arrived and picked up the man reading the numbers that was just a random assigning.  No, the French team, Lenny and Danielle all either heard or said those numbers for a reason.  If there is anything that would be like Christmas morning to me on this show is for the writers to elegantly and concisely bring in the Valenzetti and Hanso connections and make those numbers matter.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 05:21:10 PM »
I was waiting for a bus home this evening, and wondered if the numbers could be categories.

A "4" would be a hunter... A "23" would be a doctor... That sort of thing.

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 09:30:42 PM »
I was wondering if the number was part of the individual's life in some way - Jack sat in Row 23, maybe March 13 is important to Claire in some way....like that

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 10:01:50 PM »
Got to disagree with you there, Lostfan.  There is no way that when the French team arrived and picked up the man reading the numbers that was just a random assigning.  No, the French team, Lenny and Danielle all either heard or said those numbers for a reason.  If there is anything that would be like Christmas morning to me on this show is for the writers to elegantly and concisely bring in the Valenzetti and Hanso connections and make those numbers matter.

I seem to recall reading an interview with Cuse and Lindeloff where one of them basically said the numbers are significant, but they couldn't think of any way why they could explain those particular numbers as being significant - i.e. why they chpse the numbers to use as 4 8 15 16 23 42 instead of  3 5 13 18 27 39

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 10:08:31 PM »

I seem to recall reading an interview with Cuse and Lindeloff where one of them basically said the numbers are significant, but they couldn't think of any way why they could explain those particular numbers as being significant - i.e. why they chpse the numbers to use as 4 8 15 16 23 42 instead of  3 5 13 18 27 39
Saying they are significant and reading into what that means is two different things LOL
I mean is it significant in the real world, or to the story? Is having the numbers attached to our Losties names significant in itself? it coud be that simple...could be...;)

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 10:12:33 PM »

WOW!! I haven't even gone that deep with it, LOL. Are some of us actually taking it that far?? I had no idea. I don't think they will tell us why "4" is important as a number, but the numbers as a whole better be revealed.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 10:14:04 PM »
They were all numbered...

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 03:30:35 AM »
I believe is an error to subordinate the numbers to the names.
Until now the number were all above anything else, so perhaps we should think as always and include the Unlocke and Sayid miraculous return, as a way the numbers had to preserve someone that was attached to them, even after they were killed.
The names still subordinate to the numbers, not backwards.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 09:55:37 AM »

I hope you're right!  The numbers were one of the reasons I got hooked on this show in the beginning, so I want to see that they're important, not just that the characters were 'listed' by number, but that they were assigned to those numbers for a reason.   In other words, that the numbers existed and were special and the characters fit the numbers somehow to make them possible candidates.

I know this isn't a spoiler section, but I just read something that hinted we may get more of an explanation this coming week, 2/23.  Can't wait!

Offline Lost In NH

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 12:17:19 PM »

This is interesting.  We know the numbers were broadcast since at least 1988 when the french team arrived.  All six of the broadcast numbers correspond to one of our Losties.  So does this mean that Jacob was "calling out" to our Losties for at least sixteen years (1988 to 2004) before they crashed on the island?

Also, if the name Littleton on the cave wall refers to Claire, why wasnt' her number broadcast with the other numbers?  Had she been removed (crossed off) from the candidates list before 1988 so her number (313) isnt' broadcast?  And yet she's still on flight 815 and crashes on the island, hmm