Author Topic: How are the numbers related to the names???  (Read 6919 times)

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
How are the numbers related to the names???
« on: February 17, 2010, 06:00:24 PM »
its not numerology. the numbers dont "add up" to the names assigned to each one... anyone else know a number/ words relation that could answer the relation?

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: How are the numbers related to the names???
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:01:56 PM »
huh

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 06:10:46 PM »
I'm not too sure, but there must be a connection. The other names had numbers also (and not "our" number sequence). I'm just not sure why we didn't see Kate's name. We might get another shot of the cave ceiling though, and we might see Kate's name with a different number.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 06:12:23 PM »
Add up all the numbers and you get 108. Maybe Kate is 108?

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 06:26:45 PM »
Instinct tells me the numbers (in relation to the names) are some kind of tally.

I don't think they're an order... You know like "Jack is the 23rd possible candidate to have been located" or "Jack is the 23rd most suitable".

Maybe it's the number of "nudges" each needed in their lives, with Locke needing the fewest to believe in The Island.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 06:42:39 PM »

Maybe it's the number of "nudges" each needed in their lives, with Locke needing the fewest to believe in The Island.

That is a good idea, I mean, I don't know if this plays into what you are saying, but Richard reached out to John three times, and then Jacob stepped in and went to visit him in person when he got paralyzed, which led to Abadon, then the walkabout, etc.

I was thinking that perhaps the number refers to the amount of times that individual has been through all the nonsense before. It kind of plays into what Jacob said last season.

"It only ends once, everything else is just progress."

Maybe everytime Jacob tries to do the "experiment" over, sometimes the same people end up showing up. Like Jack was there 23 times before, and the Kwon had been there 42 times. I know it seems far fetched, but I'm up foranything at this point, as long as the number MEAN SOMETHING!!

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 06:50:40 PM »
It kinda looked like the number was a designation. Maybe not so much a rank, but more like a serial number for each person. If we see the same number used more than once, then that would throw this theory out the window. But if the numbers are all unique, then maybe Jacob just gave each candidate a number.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 07:04:13 PM »
It kinda looked like the number was a designation. Maybe not so much a rank, but more like a serial number for each person. If we see the same number used more than once, then that would throw this theory out the window. But if the numbers are all unique, then maybe Jacob just gave each candidate a number.

Does make sense. Kind of unlike LOST to just tell us flat out though. I mean Locke said last night that Jacob "had a thing for numbers", and if THIS is the first answer they flat out give us, I'll be kind of pissed. LOL

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 07:53:31 PM »
That is a good idea, I mean, I don't know if this plays into what you are saying, but Richard reached out to John three times, and then Jacob stepped in and went to visit him in person when he got paralyzed, which led to Abadon, then the walkabout, etc.

Yeah, exactly something like that.

There seemed to be actual tally marks as well as names and numbers. I'm just assuming that the digits are totals of the tally marks near each name.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 08:03:01 PM »

Yeah, exactly something like that.

There seemed to be actual tally marks as well as names and numbers. I'm just assuming that the digits are totals of the tally marks near each name.

So now we have to just figure out the other 7 times Hurley was contacted, 14 times for Sawyer, 15 times for Sayid, 22 times for Jack, and a wopping 41 times for the Kwons. Get on it mango.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 08:22:04 PM »
So now we have to just figure out the other 7 times Hurley was contacted, 14 times for Sawyer, 15 times for Sayid, 22 times for Jack, and a wopping 41 times for the Kwons. Get on it mango.

I don't think it's necessarily actual "contact" but nudges.

The degrees of separation... Even just being connected to others who have been nudged might multiply your nudges.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 09:49:14 PM »

The degrees of separation... Even just being connected to others who have been nudged might multiply your nudges.
A nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat....;)

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 10:08:57 PM »

Just messing with you. I understand. I like the idea.

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 11:11:03 PM »
Perhaps a number in relation to a temporal formula in which the person would appear on the island or would cross paths with Jacob.....

But I like the thought of the number of nudges needed....

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 12:31:11 AM »
I think the numbers with the names are some how related to the changing of the values of the Valenzetti equation, like maybe on of the candidates must change, or accept their fate as the new protector of the island