Author Topic: Why and How is UnLocke trapped?  (Read 3996 times)

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Why and How is UnLocke trapped?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 09:26:40 AM »
He was of flesh and blood in 1845 when the Black Rock reached the island
and the statue was intact.

Offline mushermellon

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 12:55:05 PM »
The others - well I think there is a hiearchy there and some know more than "others".  They are trained to know what they know then that is it.  but then some folks have deeper knowledge.  The lack of information allows them to not give answers.  juliette was an other and she kept her knowledge close to her heart.

I agree with this, in fact going by Orson Well's 'Animal Farm' quote "ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL - BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS." - I think that statement speaks volumes.

All Other's are equal, but some Others are more equal than...... well Others.  ::)
Well, I wrote that because the other are comprimised of many civilizations/times and if they are of another "era" and I use that term loosely as not to imply "flashing time" in anyway.  But then the hiearchy would fit.  Dogen makes it clear in order to lead these folks he must distance himself.  And he is also trying in my opinion training Jack to start looking at things this way. 

I think he was trapped under the ground as electromagnetic energy and was freed when they used Jughead
in 1977.
The first time we see him on the island is in 1988.

OPG  you are great , I really appreciate your looking at things in such a different way.  Another great contributor.  I keep writing MIB is like a genie in a bottle, the smoke coming forth and then assuming an image once on land.  But we know Smokey was on the island for a long time.  If you go back to the glyphs when Ben was down there being Judged this was not something new. 

So the question is MIB was once of flesh and blood but what did he do to assume the role of the smoke monster.  i think the smoke monster existed and then came along our MIB and was banished to that existance.  I mean we have "conflict" not with persons here, but with what we have been shown.

The underground temple was there in 1950 so it has been there for a long time. 

once of the answers who built the temple and and the rooms beneath.  the cover the island

As in, He walks amoung us but is not one of us

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 05:57:22 PM »
mushermellon pretty much!

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 01:32:54 AM »
I think he was trapped under the ground as electromagnetic energy and was freed when they used Jughead
in 1977.
Unless it was MIB who appeared to Ben as his mom pre-1977. I really have no idea if it was; just something to think about.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 02:25:36 AM »
I was thinking Ben's mom was MIB too.  Just another part of his long process of manipulation to exploit a loophole and kill Jacob.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 05:30:26 AM »
in 1977.
Unless it was MIB who appeared to Ben as his mom pre-1977. I really have no idea if it was; just something to think about.

She appeared with whispers. I thought the whispers were a part of apparations caused by Jacob, like the boar, Walt, Harper, Libby.
But I'm not sure. Maybe Smoky whispers too or maybe it are people from the the parallel universe, who appear with whispers.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 08:37:36 AM »
in 1977.

She appeared with whispers. I thought the whispers were a part of apparations caused by Jacob, like the boar, Walt, Harper, Libby.
But I'm not sure. Maybe Smoky whispers too or maybe it are people from the the parallel universe, who appear with whispers.

But Harper isn't dead nor is Walt so I am confused cause we all tend to be on the side that the "images" are from dead folks. 

Anyway his being trapped would pre-date the DI being there.  -  there was a well and the donkey wheel was at the bottom so there has to be "history" for the dilema that MIB has been in. 

Offline mushermellon

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 01:10:28 AM »
mushermellon pretty much!

I feel warm and fuzzy!

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2010, 10:29:13 AM »
I'm sure that someone else must have posted this possibility by now, but we've gone around in so many circles already that I have forgotten who it was.

Anyway, I'm starting to really wonder if MIB is "stuck" in this body now because Jacob is dead. Possibly MIB's powers are dependent upon Jacob. Or part of "the rules" is that MIB is only allowed to take other forms if Jacob is alive. OR, to build a little on the theory that Jacob and MIB are both Aaron...If Jacob is now dead, maybe there is no longer any reason for MIB to keep changing.  He's completed his goal of killing Jacob, now all he has to do is "go home"?

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 11:18:14 AM »
in 1977.
I think it's unlikely. Dharmaville have a sonic fence to prevent that. Still the implication of Ben having Hurleyvision is kinda puxhy too.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 03:19:23 PM »
in 1977.
I think it's unlikely. Dharmaville have a sonic fence to prevent that. Still the implication of Ben having Hurleyvision is kinda puxhy too.
I agree, I don't think his mom was Smokey, but I know somebody's gonna bring it up at some point, so I figured I'd just play devil's advocate for a bit.  ;) I don't think Ben has "Hurleyvision" (that's a great phrase, btw!), but there are plenty of accounts of people in real life seeing/communicating with someone they loved after they died. Maybe it really was his mom, but he can't see any other dead folks.