Author Topic: Why and How is UnLocke trapped?  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Folly529

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Why and How is UnLocke trapped?
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:05:34 AM »
Wouldn't James be smart & wary enough to ask this?  It seemed way too naive of him to just accept it & naive isn't a quality I usually associate with him!

Offline GUTZandRAGE

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Why and How is UnLocke trapped?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:10:21 AM »
Don't like James. But the dude always has an angle. Maybe at this particular point he doesn't really care what the "UnLocke" is or why he is trapped, but he is definitely not being fooled so easily. He's always going to be a con man. And if you want to con someone like a smoke monster, they are going to have to either trust you or think you're stupid.

Offline Roman122

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 12:32:27 AM »
Don't like James. But the dude always has an angle. Maybe at this particular point he doesn't really care what the "UnLocke" is or why he is trapped, but he is definitely not being fooled so easily. He's always going to be a con man. And if you want to con someone like a smoke monster, they are going to have to either trust you or think you're stupid.

Good point... could this be another long con? That would be awesome lol

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 12:43:08 AM »
I believe the way off the island is thru the temple somehow, and I think that Jacob doesn't so much protect the island as much as he protects the rest of the world from Smokey getting out to the real world.

Offline madmax22e

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 12:59:32 AM »
Its sort of turning into the ultimate twist that mib wants to go home more than anyone else.

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 01:03:11 AM »
isnt the way OFF the island thru the Donkey wheel ??? are we to assume MIB doesnt know about it or cant USE it... and thats under dharmaville.. not UNDER the temple..although they do intertwine down there...

Offline jasond

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 04:30:26 AM »
isnt the way OFF the island thru the Donkey wheel ??? are we to assume MIB doesnt know about it or cant USE it... and thats under dharmaville.. not UNDER the temple..although they do intertwine down there...
Well, I think it's widely assumed that the "Christian" next to the donkey wheel was MiB, so he probably knows about it.

I think he can't get off because he needs a substitute as well. There always needs to be a black and white "stone" on the island at the same time.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 06:44:59 AM »
I don't know... I think the island isn't protect of anything as Unlocke said, but the Others protect the island, because the island protect the world.
Now, that the Others doesn't know a crap about what they are doing, I think was well established.
We still need to know WHAT changed Smokey from a human to that thing so we can understand the usefulness of the island.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 07:35:45 AM »
They just keep making the man in black seem more and more evil and shady, and I know as soon as I finally give in and say fine, he's evil, they'll have some twist where Jacob is evil for some reason.

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 10:27:58 AM »
I don't think Sawyer gives a s...

But he's NOT dumb.  He's going along with UnLocke, but he doesn't trust him.

Offline lostfan777

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 11:39:09 AM »
Its sort of turning into the ultimate twist that mib wants to go home more than anyone else.

MIB has been trapped on the island longer than anyone, so it only makes sense, but I think for the MIB, 'home' isn't just getting off the island.  His home is somewhere else altogether.  Duhn, duhn, duuuuuuuhn! (Dramatic music)

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 08:29:58 PM »
Are we speaking why he is trapped in Lockes body or why he is trapped on the island?

As for James he better pulling the long con, because there was a good point made in their little walk and what literature MIB knows and what James knows.  He can con him with his love of reading.  Maybe what saves James is ability to con.

The others - well I think there is a hiearchy there and some know more than "others".  They are trained to know what they know then that is it.  but then some folks have deeper knowledge.  The lack of information allows them to not give answers.  juliette was an other and she kept her knowledge close to her heart.

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 10:04:07 PM »
The others - well I think there is a hiearchy there and some know more than "others".  They are trained to know what they know then that is it.  but then some folks have deeper knowledge.  The lack of information allows them to not give answers.  juliette was an other and she kept her knowledge close to her heart.

I agree with this, in fact going by Orson Well's 'Animal Farm' quote "ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL - BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS." - I think that statement speaks volumes.

All Other's are equal, but some Others are more equal than...... well Others.  ::)

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 06:03:35 AM »
I think he was trapped under the ground as electromagnetic energy and was freed when they used Jughead
in 1977.
The first time we see him on the island is in 1988.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 08:56:29 AM »

I agree with this, in fact going by Orson Well's 'Animal Farm' quote "ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL - BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS." - I think that statement speaks volumes.

All Other's are equal, but some Others are more equal than...... well Others.  ::)
Well, I wrote that because the other are comprimised of many civilizations/times and if they are of another "era" and I use that term loosely as not to imply "flashing time" in anyway.  But then the hiearchy would fit.  Dogen makes it clear in order to lead these folks he must distance himself.  And he is also trying in my opinion training Jack to start looking at things this way. 

I think he was trapped under the ground as electromagnetic energy and was freed when they used Jughead
in 1977.
The first time we see him on the island is in 1988.

OPG  you are great , I really appreciate your looking at things in such a different way.  Another great contributor.  I keep writing MIB is like a genie in a bottle, the smoke coming forth and then assuming an image once on land.  But we know Smokey was on the island for a long time.  If you go back to the glyphs when Ben was down there being Judged this was not something new. 

So the question is MIB was once of flesh and blood but what did he do to assume the role of the smoke monster.  i think the smoke monster existed and then came along our MIB and was banished to that existance.  I mean we have "conflict" not with persons here, but with what we have been shown.

The underground temple was there in 1950 so it has been there for a long time. 

once of the answers who built the temple and and the rooms beneath.  the cover the island