Poll

Does Kwon refer to Jin or Sun in the cave of names?

Jin
Sun
Both
Neither

Author Topic: "Kwon" corresponds to Sun or Jin  (Read 3436 times)

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: "Kwon" corresponds to Sun or Jin
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 01:13:34 PM »
I thought Jin was supposed to have a business meeting in Australia before going to LA.  I want to say there was another watch involved...but i could be mistaken.

I'm on the Kwon meaning Jin boat.  Mostly for the fact that there weren't any females on that list.  Never thought about the J's in the names before.  If only Hurley fit that!  Jorge Garcia...?  :P

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 01:19:48 PM »
So if they're calling her "Ms. Paik" in 2004 X, that's significant (although I don't get travelling to L.A. from Korea with just your boyfriend).

What I don't get is traveling from Korea to L.A. by way of Australia.  HUGELY way out of the way. There are many more direct routes to L.A.  Did we ever learn about business they had to do in Australia on the way?

Wasn't Jin originally delivering watches to two people, one in Australia, and another one in LA?? Maybe that part of his story hasn't changed. Wasn't he fondling a watch one the plane in "LA X"??

Offline lamporium

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 04:17:57 PM »
from the screencaps request post
Was that Korean on Helen's shirt (under the word Karma)? Anyone on SWLS read Korean? Wonder if it is just a shirt off a store rack or if a message was painted on. MIB did say he didn't know if "Kwon" corresponded to Sun or Jin.

my theory is that Kwon refers to both of them because he touched both of them
they will be Adam and Eve,
she is "white" he is "black"
just like she is rich and he is poor
they are opposites who joined and became one
they are the rocks, the opposites, who become one and protect the island

dumb ??
maybe, but I've got to throw out at least one crazy theory before the series is over
I deffinitely like this idea, mainly because you are talking opposites there. Deffinitely a yin yang thing going on there.

Isn't it a bit of a cheat if it's Sun?

Found this on wikipedia:

Similar to the Chinese and the Japanese, the naming convention in the Korean naming system is to place the family name first in the person's name. Korean women also keep their surnames after marriage; therefore, Sun's Korean name would be Paik Sun-Hwa.

If Lost followed cultural rules, it couldn't be Sun, but then again there is a big black smokey thing that can fly. So, yea.
They have already not followed this, because there were a few times that Sun was referred to as Mrs. Kwon. So maybe that is an older tradition. It might not be practiced my the more modern people.

Or the Lost writers/researchers screwed up. I guess a person who knows the culture could answer definitively.

Offline jodeci

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 06:24:22 PM »
on sun's name card at the press conference, wasn't she referred to as kwan sun-hwa?  or the other way around, but i don't remember paik being on the placecard.

and jin had been referred to kwan jin-soo previously

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 08:43:52 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind is just because we didn't see any other names, doesnt mean they arent on the cave(scratched out or not). Just the numbers weren't associated with them...

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Does Kwon refer to Jin or Sun in the cave of names?
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 04:32:12 PM »
The MIB doesn't know?!?

I'm leaning toward both... as a married couple... what do you think?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 05:00:06 PM by Time-Jumper »

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Does Kwon refer to Jin or Sun in the cave of names?
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 10:05:47 PM »
Im going for Jin, as due to the lack of the name 'Austin' on the cave wall, im in the 'no ladies allowed' camp.

Offline muggle_born

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 11:24:34 PM »
Pure speculation material here, but my take is that it's Jin, which is why/because Sun didn't jump back in time with the Losties who are on "the list." (Although Kate's inclusion in that group is shady now with no apparent name in the cave, I know.)

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 05:47:22 AM »
Both, they were touched at the same time with the words that their love is a very special thing that they should
never take for granted. Their love makes them one. Jin also says that being apart would be like the sky being apart
from the earth.

What makes what Smoky said to Sawyer a lie. That they all were touched in a period of their lives, when they were
miserable and vulnerable.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 12:34:02 PM »
Another possibility is that he doesn't write down the names of everybody he's touched. Maybe that isn't all that it takes to be a candidate. Richard said the testing for a new leader of the Others takes a lot of time, so I can only imagine that the testing for a new Jacob goes way beyond that. Touching them was just the first step in the interview process, and it's only after a few more rounds that he writes their names in the cave. If he didn't think Kate or Sun were possible candidates, why bother touching them? (and no dirty jokes, boys  ;)) I mean, if only men are candidates, there were plenty of opportunities for Jacob to approach Jin alone. Also, it's possible Rutherford is Shannon, Littleton is Claire, Straume is Miles' mom, Lewis is Charlotte, Goodspeed is Olivia or Amy, Pickett is Colleen, and the name beginning "Rou--" is Alex or Danielle Rousseau. If Kate marries Jack, she could be a future Shephard, and if we go by patrilineal naming, Claire's dad's name is Shephard, making her (arguably) Claire Shephard, making her son Aaron Shephard. We don't know nearly enough to say women can't be candidates, although it's very possible.

Anyway, I vote for "Kwon" to mean both Jin and Sun. If Jacob wanted them to be separate candidates, I think he would have approached them each alone.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 06:50:03 PM »

Anyway, I vote for "Kwon" to mean both Jin and Sun. If Jacob wanted them to be separate candidates, I think he would have approached them each alone.

Good Point, Mrs Alpert!  I like that...