Poll

Does Kwon refer to Jin or Sun in the cave of names?

Jin
Sun
Both
Neither

Author Topic: "Kwon" corresponds to Sun or Jin  (Read 3408 times)

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
"Kwon" corresponds to Sun or Jin
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:15:53 PM »
from the screencaps request post
Was that Korean on Helen's shirt (under the word Karma)? Anyone on SWLS read Korean? Wonder if it is just a shirt off a store rack or if a message was painted on. MIB did say he didn't know if "Kwon" corresponded to Sun or Jin.

my theory is that Kwon refers to both of them because he touched both of them
they will be Adam and Eve,
she is "white" he is "black"
just like she is rich and he is poor
they are opposites who joined and became one
they are the rocks, the opposites, who become one and protect the island

dumb ??
maybe, but I've got to throw out at least one crazy theory before the series is over

Offline maerlyn8

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: "Kwon" corresponds to Sun or Jin
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:17:03 PM »
It's their baby. A little piece of both of them.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:29:40 PM »
Never touched the baby.
I think Jin, no girls names on the list.
No kate

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 11:30:28 PM »
I think Jin too, as posted in a different thread, because of the temple other saying that jin was "one of them"

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 11:32:08 PM »
I'm thinking Jin since most of those on the list have the first initial "J" and are supposed to be the new Jacob (according to UnLocke)

Jack Shephard
James Ford
Jin-Soo Kwon
John Locke

of these - only Locke has true faith in the island so what does that mean now?  ???

Offline phialpha412

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 01:26:26 AM »
Just an idea, but the number could still refer to both of them because marriage unites two people to become one.  any takers?

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 02:19:58 AM »
Just an idea, but the number could still refer to both of them because marriage unites two people to become one.  any takers?
exactly what I meant in the first post

Offline lamporium

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 02:45:43 AM »
Isn't it a bit of a cheat if it's Sun?

Found this on wikipedia:

Similar to the Chinese and the Japanese, the naming convention in the Korean naming system is to place the family name first in the person's name. Korean women also keep their surnames after marriage; therefore, Sun's Korean name would be Paik Sun-Hwa.

If Lost followed cultural rules, it couldn't be Sun, but then again there is a big black smokey thing that can fly. So, yea.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 03:16:05 AM »
I think its both they need to be together..

Offline jasond

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 04:09:48 AM »
I was just thinking the same thing about Jin and Sun. Maybe MiB needs someone to take his place too. What if Sun takes his place so she and Jin can be on the island together. Only troubles await them off the island, so maybe they choose to stay. That's why Adam and Eve have both the black and white rocks.

Oooooooor....

Maybe the reason Kate's name is not on the ceiling is because she is a candidate to replace MiB and the other names are candidates to replace Jacob.

Offline bfth

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 09:23:03 AM »
Think it's got to be both of them.  Jacob touched them both and there's the whole idea of two becoming one with marriage.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 10:16:08 AM »
He touched Kate and she is not a candidate. So that is not all it takes to be a candidate.
Jacob is sexist, it is only Jin.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 11:25:56 AM »
from the screencaps request post
Was that Korean on Helen's shirt (under the word Karma)? Anyone on SWLS read Korean? Wonder if it is just a shirt off a store rack or if a message was painted on. MIB did say he didn't know if "Kwon" corresponded to Sun or Jin.

my theory is that Kwon refers to both of them because he touched both of them
they will be Adam and Eve,
she is "white" he is "black"
just like she is rich and he is poor
they are opposites who joined and became one
they are the rocks, the opposites, who become one and protect the island

dumb ??
maybe, but I've got to throw out at least one crazy theory before the series is over
I deffinitely like this idea, mainly because you are talking opposites there. Deffinitely a yin yang thing going on there.

Isn't it a bit of a cheat if it's Sun?

Found this on wikipedia:

Similar to the Chinese and the Japanese, the naming convention in the Korean naming system is to place the family name first in the person's name. Korean women also keep their surnames after marriage; therefore, Sun's Korean name would be Paik Sun-Hwa.

If Lost followed cultural rules, it couldn't be Sun, but then again there is a big black smokey thing that can fly. So, yea.
They have already not followed this, because there were a few times that Sun was referred to as Mrs. Kwon. So maybe that is an older tradition. It might not be practiced my the more modern people.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »
Found this on wikipedia:

Yeah, I mentioned in another thread (and somebody posted the screencap to prove it) that on the recent syndicated rerun of Season 5, Episode ?1? where Sun is detained in the airport by Widmore and she explains that she wants to kill Ben that they flash her passport and it says "Kwon" and the security person calls her that.

So if they're calling her "Ms. Paik" in 2004 X, that's significant (although I don't get travelling to L.A. from Korea with just your boyfriend).

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 01:10:57 PM »
So if they're calling her "Ms. Paik" in 2004 X, that's significant (although I don't get travelling to L.A. from Korea with just your boyfriend).

What I don't get is traveling from Korea to L.A. by way of Australia.  HUGELY way out of the way. There are many more direct routes to L.A.  Did we ever learn about business they had to do in Australia on the way?