Author Topic: Disappointed?  (Read 8554 times)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointed?
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 04:20:10 PM »

"Stranger In A Strange Land" for clues that the reality depicted was actually the X universe.

A long time ago we did a whole discussion in the book forum on parallels of Stranger in A Strange land and where Lost was headed.

Wait...WHAT?
Maybe there is more to this episode, maybe there was more to Expose and Stranger in a Strange Land and Fire + Water

Well, you know now, that I think Jack's tattoo is a huge clue to the whole series - possibly one of the biggest if I'm right. So, devoting a whole episode to it, doesn't seem wasteful any more. I really need to re watch "Stranger In A Strange Land" for clues that the reality depicted was actually the X universe.

In season 3 that weird lady of the Others when having their little trial came and explained what Jack's tattoos meant  not quoting her exactly nor did she ever return but he got them in Thailand he stand with everyone but with no one something to that effect.

I actually really liked that part between Jack and the Sheriff. She translates it as, "We walks among us, but he is not one of us." Jack replies, "Thats what it says, but thats not what it means." BAM In the face, Sheriff lady.

To connect it to the last episode, it was kinda like what Dogan was saying, as a leader of the people he is with, he needs to stay seperated from them, hence having Lennon be his interpreter. I think I remember Bai Ling saying something along those lines that Jack is a natural leader, so thats why the tattoo says what it does.

In that episode when the sherrif is speaking I think her trranslation was foreshadowing Ben's role as leader. If you want the episode again, as she is speaking about jacks tatoo it pans over to ben who is in a strecher just as she says "he walks among us but is not one of us".

at that time we just thought ben was an other, we did not know he was born off island we were shown that later, I dont think Jack's Tat has anythjing to do with the show other than being a Tatoo.

No the producers after that  episode in their podcast on abc.com said that was what jack's tatoos meant

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2010, 08:07:41 PM »
"Stranger In A Strange Land" for clues that the reality depicted was actually the X universe.

A long time ago we did a whole discussion in the book forum on parallels of Stranger in A Strange land and where Lost was headed.

Wait...WHAT?
Maybe there is more to this episode, maybe there was more to Expose and Stranger in a Strange Land and Fire + Water
Well, you know now, that I think Jack's tattoo is a huge clue to the whole series - possibly one of the biggest if I'm right. So, devoting a whole episode to it, doesn't seem wasteful any more. I really need to re watch "Stranger In A Strange Land" for clues that the reality depicted was actually the X universe.
In season 3 that weird lady of the Others when having their little trial came and explained what Jack's tattoos meant  not quoting her exactly nor did she ever return but he got them in Thailand he stand with everyone but with no one something to that effect.
I actually really liked that part between Jack and the Sheriff. She translates it as, "We walks among us, but he is not one of us." Jack replies, "Thats what it says, but thats not what it means." BAM In the face, Sheriff lady.

To connect it to the last episode, it was kinda like what Dogan was saying, as a leader of the people he is with, he needs to stay seperated from them, hence having Lennon be his interpreter. I think I remember Bai Ling saying something along those lines that Jack is a natural leader, so thats why the tattoo says what it does.
Also, Stranger in a Strange Land is where Juliet gets marked... I still think that'll turn out to be significant, lol.

I'm of the belief that the worst episode of Lost is still better than the best episode of any other series (though I may have to amend that to exclude BSG). So even though I was kind of disappointed with this episode, I think it did have merit, as much as any other slow one.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2010, 08:19:36 PM »

I'm of the belief that the worst episode of Lost is still better than the best episode of any other series (though I may have to amend that to exclude BSG). So even though I was kind of disappointed with this episode, I think it did have merit, as much as any other slow one.

I'm kinda with ya on BSG. I actually missed out on most of the last season or so of BSG, so I'm planning on getting them on DVD and watching it through. But you make a great point, the episode where they escape from New Caprica with the Adama Manuever where it's falling through the sky...that was easily one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Kinda hard to rank that below Fire + Water.

So my all time favorite TV shows:
1. Lost
2. BSG
3. Band of Brothers

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2010, 08:42:06 PM »
My complaints are all based in the Lost world. Yes a 4 rating of Lost is still better than basically everything else on TV.

Here is my number one complaint or better said concern.
The producers have been saying for months at every chance that answers are coming ealry and often. The favorite line is that it would be a huge mistake the shove all the answers to the end. Well if this is their idea of answering question then I am concerned. Cause I am a dedicated fan and I am not seeing answers. What answers are the non fanatic fan getting?

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2010, 08:51:30 PM »
My complaints are all based in the Lost world. Yes a 4 rating of Lost is still better than basically everything else on TV.

The producers have been saying for months at every chance that answers are coming ealry and often. The favorite line is that it would be a huge mistake the shove all the answers to the end. Well if this is their idea of answering question then I am concerned. Cause I am a dedicated fan and I am not seeing answers. What answers are the non fanatic fan getting?

Personally I feel like I'm having more questions that getting answers.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2010, 08:55:32 PM »

Agreed!

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2010, 09:03:35 PM »

It's more like a warped version of Jeopardy. I'm getting answers to questions I didn't even know I should be asking!!!

A. Claire is alive, acting like Danielle Rousseau - and The Others possibly want her dead as they believe her to be infected with a mysterious illness (which may or may not exist).

Q. Oh... Is the question, "Is Claire still alive then?"

A. Not quite! The question was of course, "Is Claire still alive, acting like Danielle Rousseau - and do The Others possibly want her dead as they believe her to be infected with a mysterious illness (which may or may not exist)?"

:-\

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2010, 09:06:59 PM »

Agreed!
I agree with Juggy in agreeing with KoKo.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2010, 09:17:02 PM »
You know what? I LOVED this episode, mkay? I am totally loving the fact that we are NOT receiving answers. Seriously, if they gave us all the answers now, there'd be nothing left to watch in April. Come on guys, this is LOST, not Desperate Housewives. Don't expect answers until the last moment.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2010, 09:24:33 PM »
We don't want all of the answers now, just some.

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 09:40:33 PM »
And if we wait for answers till the last moment, the last moment will have to be, like, 16 hours long or so.  ::)

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 10:00:01 PM »
I think this fits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_gratification

Additionally I wonder if you would not all complain that they were spewing forth the answers.  And another thought what are the answer you are looking for?  I hear you all bemoaning that you are not getting answers but what specific items do you want an answer to? 

Just because TPTB say something doesn't' meant that it will happen in our perceived time frame. 

So being as anxious as most let me start with what I want answered and if we can let us just copy and add our on so that we have a list and that way we can see if it is answered.  Juggy being a moderator perhaps we need a specific thread or maybe we can tally if the week has provided those answer and then perhaps what new ones.

This way this is a bit of order or logic and if you do not have the time I will be happy to do this for the forum.  I would not mind that one bit.

1.  What is the island really?
2.  How did the island come into existence?
3. Why does it need to be hidden?
4. Why do women loose the babies?  Do they get infected and die?
5. why are Jacob and MIB at odds?
6. Who are Widmore and Hawkings to this island?
7. how do they really get off the island pre and post DI?  Not sub related either
8. Did Kelvin really die (ha ha just joking here)
9. What is Desmond's role?
10.  What if anything did Aaron's father Thomas have to do with Widmore and why does he have his paintings
11.Why did Mrs. Hawkings have her picture with the Monk?
12. Libby why was she in Santa Rosa
13.  What are the whispers
14. Why Tunisia
15. Walt was he part of this or his Mom?
16.  What happened to Christians Body
17. Do we find out why the bodies need to be buried or burned

I have a lot more but I am trying to move this out of negative ville and onto more constructive post.  so Juggy I am handing to you to help us make choices on how to manage this after all you do the math much better than anyone and have such a loyal following ;)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2010, 10:23:22 PM »
I think this fits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_gratification

1.  What is the island really?
2.  How did the island come into existence?
3. Why does it need to be hidden?
4. Why do women loose the babies?  Do they get infected and die?
5. why are Jacob and MIB at odds?
6. Who are Widmore and Hawkings to this island?
7. how do they really get off the island pre and post DI?  Not sub related either
8. Did Kelvin really die (ha ha just joking here)
9. What is Desmond's role?
10.  What if anything did Aaron's father Thomas have to do with Widmore and why does he have his paintings
11.Why did Mrs. Hawkings have her picture with the Monk?
12. Libby why was she in Santa Rosa
13.  What are the whispers
14. Why Tunisia
15. Walt was he part of this or his Mom?
16.  What happened to Christians Body
17. Do we find out why the bodies need to be buried or burned
12. What are the numbers! Tell me about the numbers
19. Why these people. Why is Jack, Kate, Sawyer Sayid, Hurley etc. Special and needed on the island.

I have a lot more but I am trying to move this out of negative ville and onto more constructive post.  so Juggy I am handing to you to help us make choices on how to manage this after all you do the math much better than anyone and have such a loyal following ;)

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2010, 11:16:48 PM »

I have a lot more but I am trying to move this out of negative ville and onto more constructive post. 

I saw a quote from JJ Abrams that basically said, "Would you rather watch What Kate Does, or NCIS Los Angeles?" I think all of us here would agree that we'd prefer the former all week and twice on Sundays. A 'bad' episode of Lost is still way better than a great episode of anything else right now.

At the same time, if you've seen ANY commercials for Lost this year they have all said the same thing. "The time for answers is NOW." Well, "now" came and went and the only answer we got was, Claire lives...kinda. Is she really alive or does being infected/claimed mean you arn't really alive?

So, what answers was I looking for? I don't know. Anything. You were able to come up with about 20 questions off the top of your head and if we put our minds to it, I bet we could easily come up with 100-200 more. Are we gonna get answers to them all? Of course not, and frankly I'd like to have a little mystery or ambiguity left after it's all over because I'll be watching reruns of this show for years.

Now I really trust TPTB because they have kept me totally enthralled with this show ever since we first saw Jack's eyeball. And I firmly believe that when this season is finally over we will be amazed at the wild ride we took. However, this week, after all its hype, left me wanting a little more revelation and a little less of the same old love triangle they've been toying with since season 1.

So, you can call it 'negative' or not 'constructive', but I think there's something to be said for people expressing their hopes and anxieties about a show that we have all come to enjoy immensely.

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2010, 11:53:44 PM »
Given Lost's propensity for not answering things, I'd be happy if instead of answering questions, they just pushed us in the right direction to draw our own conclusions. The best example I have for this would be BSG, and I know a lot of people really disliked how it ended. But if TPTB set up enough clues for us to be able to figure stuff out without them explicitly saying so, I'd be okay with that.