Author Topic: Are Lennon's translations accurate?  (Read 5368 times)

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Are Lennon's translations accurate?
« on: February 10, 2010, 05:18:41 PM »
Does anybody speak Japanese?

Are the translations that Lennon is providing an accurate version of what Dogen is actually saying?  Sometimes, it seems that Dogen says something and Lennon doesn't translate it all.  Are we missing anything significant?

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Are Lennon's translations accurate?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 05:29:31 PM »
I haven't heard or read that the translation isn't accurate...

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 05:31:12 PM »

Are the translations that Lennon is providing an accurate version of what Dogen is actually saying?  Sometimes, it seems that Dogen says something and Lennon doesn't translate it all.  Are we missing anything significant?

the translations in the last transcript for LA X showed they were pretty much word for word what dogan said to what lennon translated.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 05:41:53 PM »

the translations in the last transcript for LA X showed they were pretty much word for word what dogan said to what lennon translated.

Thank, God. Beacause I did not want to have to learn Japanese.

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 11:53:17 PM »
Why would Lennon purposely translate incorrectly knowing full well that Dogen speaks English anyways? He'd have no reason to try and mislead anyone by intentionally translating poorly.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 01:00:32 AM »
Exactly.

Offline timberwolf

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 01:06:33 AM »
I don't think that it's a matter of Lennon-dude purposely misleading anyone, but more so of us viewers getting all the detail that we can.  I found myself wanting to get someone to translate some lines when Lennon-dude only guessed what the best translation in English would be.  I wonder if we would have anymore insight as to what is going on if we knew what the exact words were being spoken in Japanese.  I speak French and I know that there are times that I can't fully convey the mood or sense of what I'm trying to say when translating it into English.

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 08:38:45 AM »
if you go to the Lostpedia page for any particular episode they have a link to a transcript (it's at the bottom of the box with the cast list). There's another one that I use to help me with my recaps at another site. They both have translations of the Japanese. It's all pretty much the same, they aren't hiding any secrets or revelations in the Japanese dialogue. There was one thing that Lennon didn't say. Dogen says "They shouldn't have come here. Seeing this place is unforgivable. Shoot them." Then Lennon just asks if he's sure, shrugs and says shoot them. Other than that it's just a rewording of pretty much what Lennon said.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 10:55:03 AM »
if you go to the Lostpedia page for any particular episode they have a link to a transcript (it's at the bottom of the box with the cast list). There's another one that I use to help me with my recaps at another site. They both have translations of the Japanese. It's all pretty much the same, they aren't hiding any secrets or revelations in the Japanese dialogue. There was one thing that Lennon didn't say. Dogen says "They shouldn't have come here. Seeing this place is unforgivable. Shoot them." Then Lennon just asks if he's sure, shrugs and says shoot them. Other than that it's just a rewording of pretty much what Lennon said.

I went there for the latest episode and it says "DOGEN: [speaks Japanese] "  as opposed to the ones for la x, actually translate,

grrrrrrr...

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 10:58:57 AM »

I went there for the latest episode and it says "DOGEN: [speaks Japanese] "  as opposed to the ones for la x, actually translate,

grrrrrrr...

check back in a couple days, I'll bet they add them. They want the episode stuff up right away, but I'm sure to get them translated they have to go get help from someone.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 02:26:35 PM »
I just had to comment here becuz apparently we are all think of the guy in the glasses and 60's attire as John Lennon. I don't know why, but I think it's funny. I call the Japanese fellow, Sho-gun dude. But yes, I often wondered how accurate the translations would be.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 02:36:24 PM »
I just had to comment here becuz apparently we are all think of the guy in the glasses and 60's attire as John Lennon. I don't know why, but I think it's funny. I call the Japanese fellow, Sho-gun dude. But yes, I often wondered how accurate the translations would be.

Yeah, I kinda cracked up. I, like everyone else, was calling him John Lennon, then in the "enhanced" replay of LA X this week, they showed that his name really is Lennon. I can't tell you how relieved I was that Dogan's name wasn't Yoko.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 02:47:36 PM »

Yeah, I kinda cracked up. I, like everyone else, was calling him John Lennon, then in the "enhanced" replay of LA X this week, they showed that his name really is Lennon. I can't tell you how relieved I was that Dogan's name wasn't Yoko.

OMG Casey!! LOL!!! Yoko!!!!  :D  :D  :D  :D Now you have me in stitches!

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 10:02:56 AM »

grrrrrrr...

check back in a couple days, I'll bet they add them. They want the episode stuff up right away, but I'm sure to get them translated they have to go get help from someone.

Lostpedia has added the Japanese translations for What Kate Does. Everything except what he says before Lennon says "the closest translation is 'claimed'" if that means anything significant.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 01:19:58 PM »
Interesting, a Japanese friend of mine says that what dogen is saying "mesareteittandarou" according to lostpedia means "to pass away."  So instead of him being "claimed" it sounds maybe like the person Sayid once was has now...passed away?