Author Topic: Are Lennon's translations accurate?  (Read 4663 times)

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: Are Lennon's translations accurate?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 12:56:42 AM »
Interesting, a Japanese friend of mine says that what dogen is saying "mesareteittandarou" according to lostpedia means "to pass away."  So instead of him being "claimed" it sounds maybe like the person Sayid once was has now...passed away?
DMM how the heck are you!!!???

Could it be slang? or just a made up word? i read somewhere they thought it was a made up word, but I dunno..

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 06:42:31 PM »
I looked at the transcript Lostpedia had out, and most of what Dogen says has the Japanese and english translation.  This particular line only had the Japanese so that is what my friend looked at.  However, I can't be completely sure that that is what Dogen actually said since it's someone else's interpretation of Dogen's line.  I'd think "to pass away" would be easy enough for Lennon to translate, so you are probably right that it is some sort of slang they use to be somewhere between "pass away" and "claimed."

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 08:29:13 PM »
I looked at the transcript Lostpedia had out, and most of what Dogen says has the Japanese and english translation.  This particular line only had the Japanese so that is what my friend looked at.  However, I can't be completely sure that that is what Dogen actually said since it's someone else's interpretation of Dogen's line.  I'd think "to pass away" would be easy enough for Lennon to translate, so you are probably right that it is some sort of slang they use to be somewhere between "pass away" and "claimed."
hmmm, I have no idea, it would be cool to find out tho...I just read it somewhere else, so i can't really take credit for it, if it is so...it could be a real word I'm Lost...lol

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 10:07:04 PM »
I had a non-Lost friend of mine do a neutral translation of the "infected" phrase. This is what he said:

Quote from: JB's Friend
I'd say "he must have been summoned, don't you think?" summoned in the sense of a king, lord, etc calling on a follower... like he was "summoned" to do the bidding of some higher power? I'm not sure where they're getting the "posessed" translation from (From the DarkUFO site)