Author Topic: SAWYERS RING  (Read 3572 times)

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: SAWYERS RING
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 03:38:51 PM »
i saw the similarity as well... even the action of throwing it into water...
Yes yes!  (& I cried both times.)

I don't mean to appear to be stupid here but other than the two rings being tossed in the water I don't see a significance in this.  I mean what could the ring possibly have to do with any of the plots or mysteries to this island?

Yeah, not everything is a major plot point. I think it's just one of those cool connections, like in Star Wars, almost all the main characters say the line "I have a bad feeling about this." at some point.
Right!  Was it done purposefully?  Yes.  Does it mean something significant?  Probably not.

it could have meaning as big as what is the island really or as insignificant as the hurley bird

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 03:40:52 PM »
I think everything is a major plotpoint in Lost.
Also the rings, Rose and Bernard's rings, sun and Jin's, Charlie's found again by Sun,
Desmond's, Sawyer's, did Jack give one to Kate?

Offline misseko815

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 03:45:09 PM »
Exactly! We, as the audience, don't know yet what the writers will reveal to be significant and insignificant, but it's awesome that we pick up on all of the themes throughout the show.  :)

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 04:15:37 PM »
Thanks for the responses. 

IMHO I think it was a way to  show us  how he truly felt about Juliette and closed the door with Kate forever.  She cried knowing he was going to ask Juliette to marry him, she is left alone too.

As for the ring I think it was the last tangible evidence he had of their relationship.  Funny though he didn't have time to retrieve before they had leave.  She died thinking he was pining for Kate. 

I have to admit that scense at the dock ripped at my emotions.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 05:21:05 PM »
And what is the thing Dogen has around his neck and he touched when his translator came to tell him
Sayid was alive and before opening the guitar case?

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 05:56:20 PM »
OPG I don't know will watch again.  Was it the ring that Sawyer threw away?

I think the other thing that got me about sawyer was the fact that when he said he was meant to be alone it was like when he was a little boy again. 

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 07:00:29 PM »
I think everything is a major plotpoint in Lost.
Also the rings, Rose and Bernard's rings, sun and Jin's, Charlie's found again by Sun,
Desmond's, Sawyer's, did Jack give one to Kate?

speaking of which rose wasnt wearing bernards ring around his neck when he went to the bathroom. and yes he had one for kate. i thin kin the episode "Something nice back home"

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 07:19:57 PM »
The ring Sawyer was going to give Juliet sure looked like the ring Desmondo was going to give Penny.
What you think?

I was thinking this too, so I went back to season 3 to look it up. They are kinda close, but definitely different rings.

At the same time, the whole "throw it in the water" thing is an undeniable connection.
I think Sawyer's ring for Juliet is closer to Sun's ring, but smaller. We've seen a lot of significant rings on the show... Bernard's, Kate's from Jack, Desmond's of course, and Charlie's Drive Shaft ring. Is it a theme? Maybe. Or maybe they're meant to be a physical representation of the human connection of relationships, which is a major theme of the show, and physically manifested in a bunch of different ways.

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 08:44:47 PM »
The ring Sawyer was going to give Juliet sure looked like the ring Desmondo was going to give Penny.
What you think?

I was thinking this too, so I went back to season 3 to look it up. They are kinda close, but definitely different rings.

At the same time, the whole "throw it in the water" thing is an undeniable connection.
I think Sawyer's ring for Juliet is closer to Sun's ring, but smaller. We've seen a lot of significant rings on the show... Bernard's, Kate's from Jack, Desmond's of course, and Charlie's Drive Shaft ring. Is it a theme? Maybe. Or maybe they're meant to be a physical representation of the human connection of relationships, which is a major theme of the show, and physically manifested in a bunch of different ways.

also not on the island theres Kates to the cop, and then jack and kates...

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 10:51:31 PM »
Sometimes a ring is a ring and sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

After all of this time if the engagement ring is brining a theory or mystery to an end then this was a total farce.
Please do not take this wrong, but we are in the final season and the ring that Sawyer had hidden under floors boards he goes to get just doesn't add up to the the answers fans are looking for.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 12:59:24 AM »
Sometimes a ring is a ring and sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

After all of this time if the engagement ring is brining a theory or mystery to an end then this was a total farce.
Please do not take this wrong, but we are in the final season and the ring that Sawyer had hidden under floors boards he goes to get just doesn't add up to the the answers fans are looking for.

Wern't you just defending this episode as giving alot of major answers in another thread? lol

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 10:06:15 PM »
yes i was the episode but what i am saying here is about the rings.  i think they mean nothing other than he was going to give her one.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 04:14:51 AM »
Oh, LiL.....this is SWLS!  You can't really expect us to agree so quickly. ;) lol

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 08:26:25 PM »
I think when Sawyer tossed the ring Ezra James Sharkington snatched it and brought it to his female shark friend...the soon to be Mrs EJ Sharkington...

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 08:51:26 PM »
i think they mean nothing other than he was going to give her one.

:D

If you were British, you'd be laughing too!

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/g.htm

lol