Author Topic: "Because there's a war coming, John"  (Read 4859 times)

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
"Because there's a war coming, John"
« on: February 10, 2010, 02:52:12 AM »
I think this line is really taking shape here.....

I feel the Oceanic/miles somehow holds the key in who wins the war. I think Dogan knows this. And watching this Episode really made me remember that line.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:02:17 AM by Bostonlost »

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: "Because there's a war coming, John"
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 09:10:18 AM »
Definitely. I'm just not sure yet how the sides are going to line up.

Offline red255

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:39:22 AM »
Do you mean Miles the character? beacuse I am thinking he knows more about Sayid than he he is saying. He is asking some strange questions and when Sayid was 'dead' he sat over him and said something like "nothing, there is nothing" sort of like there was no spirit talking to him and he was very confused. I think the fact that he can comunicate with spirits of the dead will be a key factor in this so called war!

I think this line is really taking shape here.....

I feel the Oceanic/miles somehow holds the key in who wins the war. I think Dogan knows this. And watching this Episode really made me remember that line.

Offline Rebel 3:16

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 03:21:21 PM »
Totally agree, also I think the fact Miles communicates with the dead and Hurley has actually seen and spoken to the dead is going to be key.
I was thinking about the dead people that Hurley has interacted with, Dave, Charlie, Christian and Jacob (any more?) have all died different ways, on Island and off Island, murdered, not been buried or given their last rites (not sure about Dave, but I presume he died off Island and was buried) - so they are quite a random bunch, not much in common except they visit Hurley.
So the statement about Hurley being 'the new leader' could ring true in a sense that he speaks for the dead people, or is at least advised by them.
What are the chances of Libby tipping up for another chat with Hurley? And the damned bird, again, what was that all about, the others saw the bird (even commenting it said Hurley's name) but no other person see's the dead people who visit him, maybe with the exception of Miles?
We saw a little comedy duo emerging last season, the Hurley and Miles show - special guest.... anyone who's dead?

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 05:10:42 PM »
Very cool thoughts, guys.

I had kind of put this line to rest already. I thought that it was just referencing Keemey and his merry band of mercenaries from Not Penny's Boat. Like alot of things, I probably have my timing off.

They were coming to take Ben, the Leader of The Others. The Losties weren't exactly on the best footing with The Others. So I just thought the 'war' Richard was talking about was Ben v. Widmore and his mercenaries, and as Ben said last season, "And how did that work out for them?" 8)

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 05:43:26 PM »
Good point Casey, but in the battle vs Keemey's mob - where was our friendly Asian Other Dogam and his merry men?
I think if this was the war that was refered to then every man available would have shown up on the battlefield, Dogum and Lennon included.....

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 06:23:43 PM »
Great thinking in this thread.  But I think the reason Dogen and pals didn't completely show up is because they are the keepers of the temple.  The temple is not just a place, it's the center of their island worship and where they receive their gift - or sentencing, depending on how you see it.  Dogen only fights when the temple proper is being threatened.  We may consider that the other attacks we have seen are secondary - while the attack that is about to be launched against the temple is full on island sacrilege.  There's no higher place of authority on the island.  Otherville was not as powerful as the Swan.  Otherville is not as powerful as the temple.

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 06:38:56 PM »
Good point!  ;D

However if Widmores gang were willing to torch the Island then that would have included the Temple, so unless we werent shown it, the Temple crew must have at least been on full alert?

Unless that is, there only threat is Smokey... ticka ticka...

Offline Adriana

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 06:42:31 PM »
I get the impression they pretty much regard any and all other threats of violence and destruction as child's play.  They're only afraid of Smokey. 

They didn't even come out of the woodwork at any point in time when there was a nuclear warhead hanging around the island -- either above or under the ground, or when the DI was drilling into key pockets of electromagnetic energy. 

The Temple People are pretty BAMF-y in that way.

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 06:42:36 PM »
Also, if MiB is about to lay seige on the Temple, he could have done that at any point?
If it is due to Jacob's demise then the timing is crucial - no Jacob = prime time to attack.
Which could mean that if, as has been suggested, Sayid is possessed by Jacob, why would they want to kill him?

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 06:43:43 PM »
Maybe Widmore was willing to try to destroy Smokey, the temple, the Others.  I still think Ben's Others were the first line of defense, with Richard overseeing the next wave and Dogen overseeing the inner circle of the island.

I don't believe for a second that Sayid is infected with Jacob.  Jacob heals.  Smokey possesses (that's a lot of s's).

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 07:16:54 PM »
So that means Smokey can have multiple vessel's? I can go with that I guess. (thats alot of s's too)  ;D

Offline Adriana

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »
So that means Smokey can have multiple vessel's? I can go with that I guess. (thats alot of s's too)  ;D

I think this actually gets to the point that there's contention about.  Are Smokey and "the infection" one and the same? 

If they ARE one and the same, then Smokey is currently in Locke's body at the beach, AND now in Sayid's body at the temple, AND in Claire's body running around the forest ... and that would suggest he can be in multiple vessels at once.

HOWEVER -- when he appeared to Ben as Alex under the temple wall, UNLocke *disappeared* while Alex was in front of Ben.  Similarly, UNLocke disappeared while Smokey killed Jacob's SWAT team in the foot statue.  This would suggest that he CANNOT inhabit multiple vessels at once.

..... I think I've just convinced myself that Smokey and the Infection are actually 2 separate things, now ... bringing our total of "other-worldly entities of ambiguous moral standing" to 3:

1: MIB/Smokey
2: Infection
3: Jacob

Yay, LSAT logic!!!

By this theory ... it's possible that the Infection is a tool used by MIB/Smokey (kind of like a magic spell), but not MIB/Smokey inhabiting bodies himself.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 07:23:20 PM »
Stupid question time, but I need a refresher apperantly.

I didn't think Widmore was going to destroy the Island. Yeah, he was going to capture Ben alive, and then kill everyone else (Others and Losties), but was he going to try to destroy the Island?

I remember Daniel and Charlotte turning off the poison gas that Ben used to kill the Dharmas.

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 07:30:36 PM »
Im sure his orders were to take Ben and torch the Island - which in essence sounds quite drastic but after reading other comments, the torching of the Island may rid it of human interference without damaging the mystical powers the Island holds.