Author Topic: Meaning?  (Read 7051 times)

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Meaning?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 04:23:24 AM »
its sundown, nighttime

the temple people have barricaded themselves in and are trying to keep smokey/MIB out, but he will attack at sundown

Great call!

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 02:45:36 PM »
Ok, so this wasn't a Jin/Sun centric episode like I was expecting.  HOWEVER it did parallel "House of the Rising Sun" in a few ways.  Jin was in handcuffs and saved by Michael and in this epi Jin was in a COOLER and saved by SAYID.  :D  It did have the love and marriage thing going for it, Sayid felt that he wasn't good enough for Nadia and Jin felt that (because he was afisherman's son and a doorman) that he wasn't good enough for Sun. 

Whatever.  I just want my theory to line up nicely.  :(

It may be interesting to note that in the season 1 episode John convinces Charlie to putt off the heroin in exchange for his guitar (which is actually in a tree right above them).  In this episode it is FLocke who is making promises for exchanges, though indeed to a much higher degree.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010, 02:31:27 PM »
Ok ok.  So this episode seems to line up more with "Solitary" which is the first Sayid-centric episode.  And you know what?  When Kate comes back into the temple and talks to Miles, he is playing (get this!) solitaire!  OH HO HO!

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 03:12:51 PM »
You rock! ;D

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 08:51:39 PM »
I hope not, I'm starting to get kind of sick of friggin vampires.

off topic for a moment but Twilight ruined the vampires.  I long for the days of other vampiric writers...bringing out the old Anne Rice books where vampires are real ;D

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 12:11:48 AM »

off topic for a moment but Twilight ruined the vampires.  I long for the days of other vampiric writers...bringing out the old Anne Rice books where vampires are real ;D

That certainly didn't help the situation any. Check out Christopher Moore's two Vampire books, "Bllod Sucking Fiends" and "You Suck" for a couple of funny Vampire books, and Guillermo Del Toro's "The Strain" for a viscious one.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 12:16:55 AM »

That certainly didn't help the situation any. Check out Christopher Moore's two Vampire books, "Blood Sucking Fiends" and "You Suck" for a couple of funny Vampire books, and Guillermo Del Toro's "The Strain" for a vicious one.
I was going to say Twilight vampires are just kinda emo...where as Anne Rice made them a bit, umm flamboyant...as a rule, zombies and infected rule...vampires and warewolves are passe...

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2010, 02:54:55 PM »
I thought I would throw this in here under "meanings."  I was just rewatching the first part of this epi again to try and get a screen grab of sayid's reflection.  I noticed that he was bringing her yellow roses.  "Yellow roses?"  I pondered aloud.  "What IS the meaning of a yellow rose?" 

Also changed over the years were the meanings related to yellow roses. Throughout history, the color yellow has been closely associated with the sun. As the source of light and warmth, the sun is integral to life on Earth, and has been worshiped in many early societies. It should come as no surprise that the color of the sun would hold many positive connotations. In many Eastern cultures, for example, the color yellow represents joy, wisdom and power. However, in Europe at the time of the introduction of these roses, the color yellow carried much more negative overtones. Consequently, yellow roses were long used as a symbol for jealousy and dying love. As time went on, however, the more universal meanings connected with the color yellow have come to prevail and entwine themselves with the yellow rose. Today yellow roses are more commonly associated with joy and friendship.

I like the idea of the "dying love" part.  Very fitting for Nadia and Sayid.  Especially the DYING PART, ammiright!  hahahahaha!  ...  :-\

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2010, 03:01:09 PM »
I thought I would throw this in here under "meanings."  I was just rewatching the first part of this epi again to try and get a screen grab of sayid's reflection.  I noticed that he was bringing her yellow roses.  "Yellow roses?"  I pondered aloud.  "What IS the meaning of a yellow rose?" 

Also changed over the years were the meanings related to yellow roses. Throughout history, the color yellow has been closely associated with the sun. As the source of light and warmth, the sun is integral to life on Earth, and has been worshiped in many early societies. It should come as no surprise that the color of the sun would hold many positive connotations. In many Eastern cultures, for example, the color yellow represents joy, wisdom and power. However, in Europe at the time of the introduction of these roses, the color yellow carried much more negative overtones. Consequently, yellow roses were long used as a symbol for jealousy and dying love. As time went on, however, the more universal meanings connected with the color yellow have come to prevail and entwine themselves with the yellow rose. Today yellow roses are more commonly associated with joy and friendship.

I like the idea of the "dying love" part.  Very fitting for Nadia and Sayid.  Especially the DYING PART, ammiright!  hahahahaha!  ...  :-\

WOKKA WOKKA