Author Topic: Meaning?  (Read 6719 times)

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Meaning?
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:53:44 PM »
Is this title referring to a sunset and something that happens at that time or does it refer to Sun and she is down--as in injured or worse?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Meaning?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:55:38 PM »
Maybe it is a homage to Sundown by Gordon lightfoot, circa 1974

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 03:13:53 AM »
I just watched Blackhawk Down last night...maybe it's a reference to Sun taking a trip to Somalia?

Offline LOSTNightmaregk13

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 09:04:33 PM »
i agree with the first post
something with sun being down either with a depression... i mean injured

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 09:46:20 PM »
its sundown, nighttime

the temple people have barricaded themselves in and are trying to keep smokey/MIB out, but he will attack at sundown

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 03:18:44 PM »
hmm
makes sense
but usually they play around with the title more instead of giving it away

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 09:02:57 PM »
really?
I've come to think the total opposite
I used to look for special meaning in the titles, but gave up after being disappointed

"LeFleur", ooh, new character.
Nope, nothing special, just Sawyer's alias

"Some Like it Hoth", there was so much conjecture on this board what as to what that could possibly mean. Turns out it was really nothing. Hurley's rewritting Star Wars. Nothing more. Took up about 25 seconds of the episode.

"Namaste", again, so much theorizing, "I bow to you". Who's doing the bowing ? And who are they bowing to ? A new leader ?
Nope. Its the equivalent of "Say Cheese !" when you get your picture taken.

I'm sure you can come up with something clever that the writers have actually done with the titles,  but I'm going to go with the most obvious, lame answer.

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 09:46:15 PM »
ah you're actually right
but before we knew what was going on on the episodes we were speculating like we are now
"some like it hoth"
obviously a star wars reference, we didnt know what would happen until it did, before that it was just pure guessing for fun, a polar bear turns out to be chewbacca? or those white creatures i don't know the name xD
we'll have to wait and see for sundown
if it had a space like sun down id be more inclined to my previous statement but since it doesn't ill follow yours
until then we have a substitute on out hands

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 10:27:59 AM »
ah you're actually right
but before we knew what was going on on the episodes we were speculating like we are now
"some like it hoth"
obviously a star wars reference, we didnt know what would happen until it did, before that it was just pure guessing for fun, a polar bear turns out to be chewbacca? or those white creatures i don't know the name xD
we'll have to wait and see for sundown
if it had a space like sun down id be more inclined to my previous statement but since it doesn't ill follow yours
until then we have a substitute on out hands

Wait, what is a "Star Wars"??

LOL Just kidding, and the name you're looking for is "Taun Taun" (or Tan Tan, depending on who you believe).
Check this out...
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/plush/bb2e/

Offline Kurtis

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 01:56:56 PM »
The title is a reference to the "House of the Rising Sun" episode from Season 1. Just like last week with "What Kate Does" vs "What Kate Did".

Offline Kosmetas

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 02:52:19 PM »
The title is a reference to the "House of the Rising Sun" episode from Season 1. Just like last week with "What Kate Does" vs "What Kate Did".

Yeah what he said, Duh!!  Come on stick with the program peeps.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 06:54:44 PM »
really?
I used to look for special meaning in the titles, but gave up after being disappointed

"Some Like it Hoth", there was so much conjecture on this board what as to what that could possibly mean. Turns out it was really nothing. Hurley's rewritting Star Wars. Nothing more. Took up about 25 seconds of the episode.

"Namaste", again, so much theorizing, "I bow to you". Who's doing the bowing ? And who are they bowing to ? A new leader ?

I'm sure you can come up with something clever that the writers have actually done with the titles,  but I'm going to go with the most obvious, lame answer.

"The Substitute" - John is a substitute teacher in his alternate life... boring!!!

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 11:02:05 AM »
No, it isn't. Looks like for sure, but information I read told it's not a Kwon-centric episode.

Offline Thomas

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 12:04:43 PM »
really?

"The Substitute" - John is a substitute teacher in his alternate life... boring!!!

Don't forget the double meaning with this one....Jacob is looking for a candidate to be his substitute as well.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 03:15:31 PM »
I think all of the episode titles are going to have a dual meaning. The only one I'm having a problem with it "LA X". Unless TPTB are straight up telling us that the time line taking place off the island is "Dimension X". Oh god, I hope it's not that easy that I totally over looked it.