Author Topic: infection = possession  (Read 12244 times)

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: infection = possession
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2010, 05:27:37 PM »

What if there was NO electric current being passed through Sayid, but he screamed anyway?  They would know for sure he was faking.  He failed the test.

I like this line of reasoning - its the first I've seen that actually might make sense as to why Sayid failed. 

Thanks!  Unfortunately, I did not come up with it, but saw it on another site and it just clicked in my head.  I'm really beginning to wonder if there isn't something to it.  I've been mulling it around all afternoon and was hoping some others here would have something to add.  Thank you!

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2010, 06:21:12 PM »
I'm not saying this is true, but an interesting thought, nonetheless...

What if there was NO electric current being passed through Sayid, but he screamed anyway?  They would know for sure he was faking.  He failed the test.

And the ash being blown over the top of him was to keep Smokey from escaping from Sayid's body.

And the hot poker was actually just a branding or mark.

On The Lost Initiative video podcast, Iain Lee pointed something out about the poker. You never saw it mark his skin. Sayid might have been screaming like any of us would have, but we never saw any actual burn.

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2010, 08:09:41 PM »
I'm not saying this is true, but an interesting thought, nonetheless...

And the ash being blown over the top of him was to keep Smokey from escaping from Sayid's body.

And the hot poker was actually just a branding or mark.

On The Lost Initiative video podcast, Iain Lee pointed something out about the poker. You never saw it mark his skin. Sayid might have been screaming like any of us would have, but we never saw any actual burn.

Interesting!  That would go along with the "Sayid is faking pain" theory.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2010, 03:00:56 PM »

I've proposed for years now that the Others do not let people in their club who have caused the deaths of other people - using Creflo's term - they are damned so not eligible to join.

So, like Juliet maybe?  I keep coming back to trying to make a parallel between the "branding" that Juliet got after her "trial" for murder, and this hot poker thing that Dogen did to Sayid.  Sounds like a lot of people are thinking along the lines of it maybe being a sort of branding.

I like the thought that the three things Dogen did weren't necessarily "together" to form one single thing, ie: a test.  Maybe it's like lovinlost says -- the ash was to keep "the dark" from escaping Sayid's body; the electric current was the test (to see if he'd turn into Smokey -- since as we've seen Locke became Smokey when he was attacked); and the hot poker was just a brand to mark Sayid as "flawed" somehow.  I don't know... but I like that train.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2010, 12:03:36 AM »
I had a non-Lost friend of mine do a neutral translation of the "infected" phrase. This is what he said:

Quote from: JB's Friend
I'd say "he must have been summoned, don't you think?" summoned in the sense of a king, lord, etc calling on a follower... like he was "summoned" to do the bidding of some higher power? I'm not sure where they're getting the "posessed" translation from (From the DarkUFO site)

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2010, 09:19:08 AM »
: (v) infect (communicate a disease to) "Your children have infected you with this head cold"
S: (v) infect, taint (contaminate with a disease or microorganism) S: (v) infect (corrupt with ideas or an ideology) "society was infected by racism"
S: (v) infect (affect in a contagious way) "His laughter infects everyone who is in the same room"
Adjective
S: (adj) septic, infected (containing or resulting from disease-causing organisms) "a septic sore throat"; "a septic environment"; "septic sewage"

there is a darkness growing inside of him -
so if it is growing inside of him it the above would seem to apply more to the "infection"

Branding - I think that is just in case we end up with Zombies
And on a serious note maybe she was also tested and really got the hot poker to the skin.

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2010, 08:13:39 PM »
Again "infection = possession" or crazy is all realitive

I women (not being sexus here) stuck alone on a Island looking for her child?

I mean when a group says that a person is crazy or not right..... what if the group is crazy? If we are looking at this from the outside in what is it that we are seeing?

We see Rousseau fending off her fellow science team..We see her shooting them becuase she says the where infected...but was it her that was infected? Was it them try to fend her off.

Dogen says Sayid and now claire are infected...I don't know a total stranger?

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2010, 09:27:02 PM »
Again "infection = possession" or crazy is all realitive

I women (not being sexus here) stuck alone on a Island looking for her child?

I mean when a group says that a person is crazy or not right..... what if the group is crazy? If we are looking at this from the outside in what is it that we are seeing?

We see Rousseau fending off her fellow science team..We see her shooting them becuase she says the where infected...but was it her that was infected? Was it them try to fend her off.

Dogen says Sayid and now claire are infected...I don't know a total stranger?
Not sexist at all, but you kind of lost me here.  I am just talking about her being infected.  No doubt she is off a few inches on the normal scale.  Not balanced at all, but then again if Claire was thinking normal then she would not part of MIB merry recruits