Author Topic: Jacob's List  (Read 710 times)

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Jacob's List
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:16:58 AM »
For several seasons we have heard of Jacob's list, but its never been crystal clear what this list consisted of or whose name was on it.  At least I've always been confused by this.

Suddenly we have our initial group of 2007 Losties show up at the temple.  Master Zen says kill them until Hurley says that Jacob sent them.  When Master Zen breaks open the ankh (or whatever you call it) he asks them what their names are.  Once they state all their names, including who the nearly dead guy (Sayid) is, then he rushes them in to save Sayid.

In the epi, they indicate that the note simply said that if they didn't save Sayid it was going to be bad for everyone.  But could this note really have been the long awaited "Jacob's List"?  Why else did they each have to state their names, if not for Master Zen to check them individually off the list?  He asked their names immediately after reading the note.

But then Sawyer and Miles came later.  Were they not on the list, but said the infamous "We're with them" line?  Or were they also on the list to allow in?

Thoughts?  Am I way off base here?  Did they already explain "Jacob's List" previously and I'm all wet?  Or did they explain it earlier in a fashion that made sense given the facts at the time, but now this situation makes better sense?

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob's List
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:28:21 AM »
No, I think you're right, I don't think Jacob's list was every explained. I'm pretty sure the only references to it were the list that Ms. Klugh gave Michael, "Jack, Kate, James, Hugo"... and later on, Pickett The Other says "Shephard wasn't even on Jacob's list"...

I'll get behind your theory that the note inside the fortune-cookie ankh was Jacob's list. Or, one of his lists. I don't trust Ben and the Others to accurately represent Jacob's original list. Like... Pickett made us think that the only reason Jack was there is because BEN wanted him there for surgery... then they just let Hurley go on the Pala Dock? Hmmm... it all sounds very fishy to me. Maybe there was no Jacob's List at this point, and Ben made it all up.  :-\

But I think Miles and Sawyer had to be on the ankh-list, otherwise Master Zen, as you say, might have tried harder to kill them, too?

Offline bluesmanjay

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 04:37:49 PM »
Like... Pickett made us think that the only reason Jack was there is because BEN wanted him there for surgery... then they just let Hurley go on the Pala Dock? Hmmm... it all sounds very fishy to me. Maybe there was no Jacob's List at this point, and Ben made it all up.  :-\

Didn't Ben, when he was taking to Jacob before he killed him, say something like "All those lists!"??? Or am I confusing that with someone else, or a different time?

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 04:48:33 PM »
Like... Pickett made us think that the only reason Jack was there is because BEN wanted him there for surgery... then they just let Hurley go on the Pala Dock? Hmmm... it all sounds very fishy to me. Maybe there was no Jacob's List at this point, and Ben made it all up.  :-\

Didn't Ben, when he was taking to Jacob before he killed him, say something like "All those lists!"??? Or am I confusing that with someone else, or a different time?

Yeah he did, and he sounded pissed about it. LOL

As for the issue at hand, there is no law written anywhere that says a list must be written on it's own sheet of paper. Maybe there was a note or letter written, and beneath it was the list of names. I think the more appropriate question is going to be, why the hell did he even write that fricking list??

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 05:42:07 PM »
Jacob's list was the list with the oceanic people who had to be saved, like Cindy, Zack and Emma.
The good people, who deserved a better life.
I think it was explained by Goodwin to Ana Lucia, Cindy to Jack, Karl to Sawyer and Mikhail to Locke, Kate and Sayid.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 05:50:52 PM »
Jacob's list was the list with the oceanic people who had to be saved, like Cindy, Zack and Emma.
The good people, who deserved a better life.
I think it was explained by Goodwin to Ana Lucia, Cindy to Jack, Karl to Sawyer and Mikhail to Locke, Kate and Sayid.
Yeah, that was one of the lists. I don't know if we heard about any other lists, besides--as bluesmanjay points out--Ben saying to Jacob, All those lists! ... So there must have been multiple lists.

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 09:27:02 PM »
bump.

Just rewatched this scene.  This seems right to me.