Author Topic: Hurley central figure?  (Read 10300 times)

Offline westy185

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Hurley central figure?
« on: February 07, 2010, 07:00:12 PM »
Does this indicate that Hurley is the central figure of the series? So many things have pointed to this throughout the series, and things still keep pointing that way.

Or is it all happening in Hurley's head?! The writers, I believe after the episode about his invisible friend, have promised this is not so, but they've got a lot of loose ends to tie up - hope they haven't taken a short cut.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Hurley central figure?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 12:53:40 AM »
well it just means that this episode is about Hurley.  This isnt the last episode as there should be around 16 this season

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 01:16:10 AM »
well it just means that this episode is about Hurley.  This isnt the last episode as there should be around 16 this season

^ TISCS is usually pretty right on with his posts. (Except maybe his signature *cough*) I think Hurley is definitely A central figure, but not THE central figure. He was also looking alot more assertive and confident in his super power, so he may become less just comic relief and more protraginst this season.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 02:15:29 AM »
we've Hurley say nothing bad ever happens to him, that he's the luckiest person alive

that's what this episode will be about, his good luck, his life in the alternate timeline/universe

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 01:07:51 PM »
we've Hurley say nothing bad ever happens to him, that he's the luckiest person alive

that's what this episode will be about, his good luck, his life in the alternate timeline/universe

I don't know about that. Think about episode S2E4 "Everybody Hates Hugo". This is the episode where we find out that he won the lottery, we meet his best friend Johnny (who, despite being DJ Qualls, is apparently a really likeable guy), we find out that apparently he hooks up with the oh so super hot Starla, he quits his job (because he friggin can...WOO) at Mr. Clucks, Johnny quits the Mr. Cluck gig as well (just because his friend did), Johnny and Hurley go and steal all of the garden gnomes and put them on Randy's yard (believe me, that is fun). Then, on the island, he is put in charge of the food in the Swan hatch, and after a long thought process, he decides to have a beach party and give all of the food away (except his stash, but honestly, like you wouldn't hold onto some??), and everybody is all happy that Hurley is, well, Hurley. The only person that shows any sign of being upset with him is Charlie when he asks for peanut butter for Claire, and Hurley says no...but then at the end of the episode, he keeps a jar of peanut butter just for Charlie, and then Charlie isn't mad at him anymore. To make a short story long, basically, there was no real reason for anyone to Hate Hugo in this episode.

So my point you ask?? Well if you stop interrupting me, I will tell you. Jeez. Anyway, So I think that this episode is going to be very, very, very bad for Hurley. Kinda like, Hurley is going to die, kind of bad (I posted this somewhere else, but this seems like the more appropriate place to do it). I also think that it might show that Off-Island-Hurley is kind of a bastard. I mean, think about it. He's apparently rich and relatively young. He owns Mr. Clucks, as well as presumably the other businesses he owned in earlier episodes (box company, sneaker factory, etc.), so owning multiple businesses, having a butt load of money, and nothing bad ever happens to you?? That is a perfect recipe for a bastard (**cough..hack...Spencer Pratt...cough and phlegm**). So, once again to make a short story long, I think this episode is going to paint Hurley in a very bad light, and that we might not be seeing too much Off-Island-Hurley after this one.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:13:20 AM by BobBX542 »

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 07:37:48 PM »
ooo  I forgot about my sig.  Its been like two years since i changed that.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 10:45:02 PM »
ooo  I forgot about my sig.  Its been like two years since i changed that.

I was just givin you a hard time. Seems each time I read one of your posts, I'm either getting a new insight, or thinking "I was about to say the same thing".

Offline Adriana

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 11:02:59 AM »

I don't know about that. Think about episode S2E4 "Everybody Hates Hugo". This is the episode where we find out that he won the lottery, we meet his best friend Johnny (who, despite being DJ Qualls, is apparently a really likeable guy), we find out that apparently he hooks up with the oh so super hot Starla, he quits his job (because he friggin can...WOO) at Mr. Clucks, Johnny quits the Mr. Cluck gig as well (just because his friend did), Johnny and Hurley go and steal all of the garden gnomes and put them on Randy's yard (believe me, that is fun). Then, on the island, he is put in charge of the food in the Swan hatch, and after a long thought process, he decides to have a beach party and give all of the food away (except his stash, but honestly, like you wouldn't hold onto some??), and everybody is all happy that Hurley is, well, Hurley. The only person that shows any sign of being upset with him is Charlie when he asks for peanut butter for Claire, and Hurley says no...but then at the end of the episode, he keeps a jar of peanut butter just for Charlie, and then Charlie isn't mad at him anymore. To make a short story long, basically, there was no real reason for anyone to Hate Hugo in this episode.

So my point you ask?? Well if you stop interrupting me, I will tell you. Jeez. Anyway, So I think that this episode is going to be very, very, very bad for Hurley. Kinda like, Hurley is going to die, kind of bad (I posted this somewhere else, but this seems like the more appropriate place to do it). I also think that it might show that Off-Island-Hurley is kind of a bastard. I mean, think about it. He's apparently rich and relatively young. He owns Mr. Clucks, as well as presumably the other businesses he owned in earlier episodes (box company, sneaker factory, etc.), so owning multiple businesses, having a butt load of money, and nothing bad ever happens to you?? That is a perfect recipe for a bastard (**cough..hack...Spencer Pratt...cough and phlegm**). So, once again to make a short story long, I think this episode is going to paint Hurley in a very bad light, and that we might not be seeing too much Off-Island-Hurley after this one.

Oh, and I just found this, so it's totally new to me, if you have seen it, tell me it's not worth watching again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8pwC5Sea7o

1) I like this prediction -- because it seems right on and very likely.  But I don't like it because I don't think anyone WANTS to see Hurley being a prick -- I certainly don't!  I think viewers would rather see Hurley DIE than be a money-grubbing evil bastard jerk.  We love Hurley, and we WANT to continue loving Hurley.  MAYBE this episode will somehow find a way to make him even more wonderful -- although that's unlikely! 

On a serious note -- you very well could be right about the inversing of the episode; in "Everybody Hates Hugo" he felt ****ty and misunderstood and Charlie was mad at him until the end when he had the food-giving-away party and everyone loved him.  Maybe in "Everybody Loves Hugo," he'll spend the entire episode being praised and adored and doing everything right and being an upstanding guy ... and then at the end we realize he's hiding some terrible secret or hatching some evil plan that no one knows about. 

2) The link isn't working!

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »
1) I like this prediction -- because it seems right on and very likely.  But I don't like it because I don't think anyone WANTS to see Hurley being a prick -- I certainly don't!  I think viewers would rather see Hurley DIE than be a money-grubbing evil bastard jerk.  We love Hurley, and we WANT to continue loving Hurley.  MAYBE this episode will somehow find a way to make him even more wonderful -- although that's unlikely! 

On a serious note -- you very well could be right about the inversing of the episode; in "Everybody Hates Hugo" he felt ****ty and misunderstood and Charlie was mad at him until the end when he had the food-giving-away party and everyone loved him.  Maybe in "Everybody Loves Hugo," he'll spend the entire episode being praised and adored and doing everything right and being an upstanding guy ... and then at the end we realize he's hiding some terrible secret or hatching some evil plan that no one knows about. 

2) The link isn't working!

Oh, don't misunderstand me, I don't want Hurley to be a douche, OR die, but I think it's going to happen that way, because that is a very LOST thing to do. As far as the link goes, I removed it, because the YouTube Nazis pulled the video. It was basically a Mr. Clucks commercial. Remember Arzt bugging Hurley on the plane in "LA X" to do the accent or whatever?? Well, it was that commercial. No big deal.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:21:34 PM by BobBX542 »

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 01:48:37 PM »
Hugo will probably be shown to have some innate ability like Walt - only he doesn't "use" only those around him can.....his presence helps those around them find their own gifts...or something like that

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 03:22:44 PM »
Hugo will probably be shown to have some innate ability like Walt - only he doesn't "use" only those around him can.....his presence helps those around them find their own gifts...or something like that

Sort of like the X-man who's only power is to strengthen the powers of the other mutants??

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 12:35:40 PM »
he seemed totally cool in the last episode!

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 01:08:33 PM »

Yeah, but who is going to be that much of a d-bag to a cripple who just lost his job?? LOL You are right though, he did seem like a really nice guy for the few minutes we saw him. Just wait and see. I have a really strong feeling that we are not going to like Off-island Hurley in about 2 months.

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 03:14:57 PM »

Yeah, but who is going to be that much of a d-bag to a cripple who just lost his job?? LOL You are right though, he did seem like a really nice guy for the few minutes we saw him. Just wait and see. I have a really strong feeling that we are not going to like Off-island Hurley in about 2 months.
that would make sense because if it's opposite of the episode "everyone hates hugo". I felt super bad for him in that episode and he was a great nice guy. It might mean that we see a more "stuck up" Hugo-but why would everyone love him? I am confused now lol

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 07:54:49 PM »
"Money is the root of all evil", it changes people. So maybe Hurley does evolve into some kind of arseholish person in the sideflash.

Or maybe in "Lostie Time" Jacob makes Hurley do something that is misunderstood by everyone and it has a negative outcome.