Author Topic: So does Sun know English in the new timeline?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
So does Sun know English in the new timeline?
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:34:57 PM »
I guess when i watched I thought she was BS'ing to the lady customs officer who told her if she spoke English to speak up.  But now I'm wondering if this version of Sun knows english at all?  Thoughts?

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: So does Sun know English in the new timeline?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:38:32 PM »
Seemed she was BS'ing the customs lady to me too. Remember, she didn't reveal she could speak english to the Losties for a long time. Plus if there is anyone you want to play dumb with, it's customs.

Brings me to another question, in the original flight 815, wasn't Sun the one bringing the chunk of cash so she could split from Jin in LA?

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 04:37:31 AM »
She was lying.  I don't remember her bringing that money, but if it's true, then I guess she lied to avoid getting in trouble herself.  But my first instinct and it might still be true regardless of if the money is hers, is that she just wants Jin to get in trouble.  They laid that scene on a bit thick.

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 11:57:45 AM »
Looking at the body language it seems that she IS lying, but it could have been bad acting (haha, I think Yunjin Kim is a great actress!)

Offline Thomas

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:59:48 AM »
Definately lying....she knew english from before, what she has lost is the confidence that she gained on the island.    I think she's afraid of Jin finding out she know english.   

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 12:02:18 PM »
Maybe they aren't even married in the flash-sideways. Did anyone catch a shot of either of them with a wedding ring? I know Sun was referred to as "Ms. Paik."

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 12:53:23 PM »
Maybe they aren't even married in the flash-sideways. Did anyone catch a shot of either of them with a wedding ring? I know Sun was referred to as "Ms. Paik."
Hey, you're right, not only Sun is called Ms. Paik, but they are really missing the most show-off wedding ring I even saw.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 01:55:20 PM »
She knows English could tell by her face she is a great actress

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 02:18:41 PM »
I think that they both know English in bizzaro world.

Jin, when asked about his business, pulls out a document with the business letterhead on it.

Now it could be that Jin just knows this keyword... only time will tell I suppose.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 05:01:31 AM »
I think that they both know English in bizzaro world.

Jin, when asked about his business, pulls out a document with the business letterhead on it.

Now it could be that Jin just knows this keyword... only time will tell I suppose.
Well the guy is flashing and shaking the watch to which the letter refers to... If some korean dude do that with me I would draw the letter in korean to the customs guy too. Ask me how much I know of korean,.. For me Mr. Kwon still don't know a word of english.
About Ms. Paik, I tend to agree that the customs lady hunch was correct and she could understand. But I'll not put my hand in the fire for that.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:08:54 AM by Optimus J »

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 12:28:40 PM »
sun was playing with her wedding ring when she was watching rose and Bernard in the plane. that I'm sure of. they are married and Sun was on her way to get away from Jin when they went on this trip so she still would have learned English. so I don't think that would have changed much.  :-\ it should be interesting to see what happeneds to Jin. 

Offline Floyd25

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 01:04:48 PM »
was it a wedding ring or could it have been an engagement ring?

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 01:34:01 PM »
I have only seen accounts of people mentioned that both Sun and Jin are without rings.  If you can provide a screen cap with Sun wearing one from LA X, I'd like to see it.

And about the money: First, Sun did not have money packed when she was planning to escape Jin during their "vacation" to LA where Jin was delivering the watch. (s1e06)

However, if you remember (s3e18), Sun was blackmailed by Jin's mother than she will tell everyone that Jin's mother was a prostitue. Sun gets to $100,000 from her father in exchange for Jin's work for him.  So perhaps in this alternate reality, Sun obtains the money from her father, Jin works for Mr. Paik, but for some reason they don't give it to Jin's mom. Maybe Sun kills her instead. She did threaten her life at the time time of the money exchange in the original plot.  Who knows.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 03:50:46 PM »
I have only seen accounts of people mentioned that both Sun and Jin are without rings.  If you can provide a screen cap with Sun wearing one from LA X, I'd like to see it.

And about the money: First, Sun did not have money packed when she was planning to escape Jin during their "vacation" to LA where Jin was delivering the watch. (s1e06)

However, if you remember (s3e18), Sun was blackmailed by Jin's mother than she will tell everyone that Jin's mother was a prostitue. Sun gets to $100,000 from her father in exchange for Jin's work for him.  So perhaps in this alternate reality, Sun obtains the money from her father, Jin works for Mr. Paik, but for some reason they don't give it to Jin's mom. Maybe Sun kills her instead. She did threaten her life at the time time of the money exchange in the original plot.  Who knows.

She sort of threatened her. If I remember correctly, it was something to the effect of,

"You're son thinks you are dead, do not force my family to make that a reality."

Or something like that.

Offline Cartermon

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 06:02:36 PM »
So I assume the TSA female officer called Sun 'Miss Paik' because it was listed that way on her Oceanic ticket or her passport.....so I think she and Jin are not married in this alt timeline