Author Topic: Why do I find myself "liking" UnLocke/Smokey?  (Read 695 times)

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Why do I find myself "liking" UnLocke/Smokey?
« on: February 03, 2010, 05:33:44 PM »
Is it just because I really liked Locke? He seems kicka$$ and interesting!

Offline horseshoe_crab

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Why do I find myself "liking" UnLocke/Smokey?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 05:39:37 PM »
It's because he actually accomplished something.  He made up his mind (right or wrong) to kill Jacob and he did it.  We've been given so little information on the characters and groups that it's difficult to follow a decision/thought/action from start to finish.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 05:52:16 PM »
Another question about what Smokey tells Ben after he resumes the shape of unLocke:

He tells Ben what Locke was thinking as Ben was killing him; was Smokey connected to Locke telepathically ("all-knowing") or does he know all the thoughts of the people whose shapes he assumes once he assumes their shape?

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 05:54:58 PM »
I feel bad that realLocke isn't around anymore. More than anyone else, he believed in the island and its powers and I think he got gypped not seeing it to fruition.

Offline Walkabout V.2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 05:56:56 PM »
Is it just because I really liked Locke? He seems kicka$$ and interesting!
Yes. I notice a different sentiment on the boards for Locke. The die-hard Locke fans wanted / want him to be the savior and it must be hard to swallow that he turned out to be the box sales man who asked a phone sex operator to join him on vacation. The weird thing is I don't care who "saves' the island or Losties and yet I do feel compelled to pay more attention to Bizaro Locke. Here to Hurley being the savior... or not.

Offline horseshoe_crab

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 05:58:51 PM »
Another question about what Smokey tells Ben after he resumes the shape of unLocke:

He tells Ben what Locke was thinking as Ben was killing him; was Smokey connected to Locke telepathically ("all-knowing") or does he know all the thoughts of the people whose shapes he assumes once he assumes their shape?

Interesting thought that just ocurred to me when you mentioned the connection.  Is it possible that MIB is like a parasite?  That he actually left the island with Locke?  I'm not thinking of him as a tapeworm or anything, more like a ghost or personified thought.  Probably way too far out there...

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 06:03:24 PM »

Interesting thought that just ocurred to me when you mentioned the connection.  Is it possible that MIB is like a parasite?  That he actually left the island with Locke?  I'm not thinking of him as a tapeworm or anything, more like a ghost or personified thought.  Probably way too far out there...
I don't think it's way too far out there at all!

Offline horseshoe_crab

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 06:05:11 PM »
Maybe "home" to MIB is a real body that didn't belong to someone else first.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 06:07:03 PM »
Maybe "home" to MIB is a real body that didn't belong to someone else first.

Ooooh, good one! Which might tie in with the religious theme if you think of "the Holy Ghost" getting a body once everyone else is resurrected - in a twisted way!

Offline horseshoe_crab

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 06:23:03 PM »
Lost is too tricky for this to be a straight good vs. evil, black and white "relationship."  If I had to bet, not knowing anything else, the MIB character will probably be more important in the outcome than Jacob.  Just a hunch...

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 06:24:24 PM »
Lost is too tricky for this to be a straight good vs. evil, black and white "relationship."  If I had to bet, not knowing anything else, the MIB character will probably be more important in the outcome than Jacob.  Just a hunch...

I wouldn't be surprised if who we thought was good was bad and vice versa. They've never really come out and said one way or the other. It's all relative I suppose.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 06:44:12 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if who we thought was good was bad and vice versa. They've never really come out and said one way or the other. It's all relative I suppose.
Well I wouldn't call UnLocke a good guy, but I really always was uncomfortable with the zealot argument that "we are the good guys". Then everything start to look justifiable. Look at what the former leaders of the island people did.
I'm with Lapidus in the "good guys" stuff