Author Topic: Hurley  (Read 8918 times)

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Hurley
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »
See, I think that Jacob is a lot smarter that the Man in black gives him credit for.  Jacob has had a counter to MIB's loophole all this time.  Part of that, I think, was that Jacob gave Hurley the ability to see dead people for exactly the reason we saw the other night.

Jacob knew that he may die.  His fail safe are our Losties.  I think they all play a part and we just saw Hurley's.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 04:40:06 PM »
See, I think that Jacob is a lot smarter that the Man in black gives him credit for.  Jacob has had a counter to MIB's loophole all this time.  Part of that, I think, was that Jacob gave Hurley the ability to see dead people for exactly the reason we saw the other night.

Jacob knew that he may die.  His fail safe are our Losties.  I think they all play a part and we just saw Hurley's.

Just saw Hurley's what??

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 04:44:01 PM »

Just saw Hurley's what??

His part in Jacob's fail safe.  I think that Jacob gave Hurley the ability to see dead people so that when he eventualy died, he would have Hurley to communicate with to help him come back to life or whatever.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 04:45:19 PM »

Just saw Hurley's what??

His part in Jacob's fail safe.  I think that Jacob gave Hurley the ability to see dead people so that when he eventualy died, he would have Hurley to communicate with to help him come back to life or whatever.

Ahhhh, got ya.

Offline Novashannon

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 04:56:52 PM »
Hurley is a naif, and it is the innocent who are considered to be especially protected by God,god in many cultures and religions.  Don't forget that "island" Hurley  (Huroley Prime?)  still considers himself unlucky, as opposed to new flight Hurley, who is the  luckiest guy on earth.

Offline fulcigento

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 05:28:15 PM »
Hurley saw/spoke to dead people long before Jacob "touched" him.  Jacob only touched him a day before Hurley got on flight 316.  Before that hurley spoke with dead : Ana, Charlie, played chess with dead Mr. eko.  Had conversations with Dave who may or may not be Libby's DEAD husband.  Plus he saw whoever was in the Cabin before they left the island in season 4.

Offline BrianIsLost2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 05:33:13 PM »
Hurley saw/spoke to dead people long before Jacob "touched" him.  Jacob only touched him a day before Hurley got on flight 316.  Before that hurley spoke with dead : Ana, Charlie, played chess with dead Mr. eko.  Had conversations with Dave who may or may not be Libby's DEAD husband.  Plus he saw whoever was in the Cabin before they left the island in season 4.
I never said Jacob gave hurley that ability by toughing him...

Offline tearms

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 06:09:49 PM »
what if Miles was looking disturbed because Sayid's spirit just wasn't there? Maybe when he came back, it was Jacob reincarnated in his body, just like his opposite was in Locke's body?

Offline westy185

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 02:18:15 PM »
To leave this timeline for a moment - what about Hurley in the new (to us) timeline where the plane doesn't crash?

Why is Hurley on that plane? What about the numbers?

Hurley won the lottery by using the numbers that originated on the island - without those numbers, he wouldn't have hit the lottery. Of course, we don't know why those numbers were the winning numbers (though presumably some strange forces were at work - they appeared again to him on his car's odometer), but it would still seem to be a monumental coincidence that it would be Hurley who would win the lottery with those or any other numbers in the new timeline, which should not be affected by the old timeline at all.

And without winning the lottery, Hurley wouldn't have been in Australia and on that flight. Hurley seems to be unique in that the island apparently stepped into his life (through the numbers) and changed it to the point that he found himself on the plane to LAX that would crash on the island (in old timeline). I don’t mean to say that the island intentionally did this – Hurley’s use of the numbers seems more accidental than intentional. However, his fellow mental patient wouldn’t know those numbers if he didn’t hear them in a distress signal in the old timeline – in the new timeline, the island’s underwater and there can be no distress signal. So why is Hurley a lottery winner and why is he on the plane?

I see too, that the last episode of Lost is entitled “Everybody Loves Hurley.” Is Hurley really what it’s all about? I keep going back to the episode of Hurley’s imaginary friend. Is this all going to be some figment of Hurley’s mental disorder – if so, the creators of the show better find an island more well hid than The Island to retreat to. (I know, I’ve read that years ago they swore this was not the case.)

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »
To leave this timeline for a moment - what about Hurley in the new (to us) timeline where the plane doesn't crash?

Hurley won the lottery by using the numbers that originated on the island - without those numbers, he wouldn't have hit the lottery. Of course, we don't know why those numbers were the winning numbers (though presumably some strange forces were at work - they appeared again to him on his car's odometer), but it would still seem to be a monumental coincidence that it would be Hurley who would win the lottery with those or any other numbers in the new timeline, which should not be affected by the old timeline at all.

It's possible that although the energy from Jughead's blast propelled Jack's group forward through time, it wasn't responsible for The Island submerging in the alt-reality. The Island in the alt-reality may have submerged at a much later date.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 02:52:57 PM »
It's possible that although the energy from Jughead's blast propelled Jack's group forward through time, it wasn't responsible for The Island submerging in the alt-reality. The Island in the alt-reality may have submerged at a much later date.
The island submerged in a much later time. There is evidence to it, but to truly backup those, and do not make it look as just an opinion, I would have to use some minor spoilers. So, still in the the field of belief, but people can trust, the island couldn't have sunk right in 1977.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 07:37:18 PM »

And without winning the lottery, Hurley wouldn't have been in Australia and on that flight. Hurley seems to be unique in that the island apparently stepped into his life (through the numbers) and changed it to the point that he found himself on the plane to LAX that would crash on the island (in old timeline). I don’t mean to say that the island intentionally did this – Hurley’s use of the numbers seems more accidental than intentional. However, his fellow mental patient wouldn’t know those numbers if he didn’t hear them in a distress signal in the old timeline – in the new timeline, the island’s underwater and there can be no distress signal. So why is Hurley a lottery winner and why is he on the plane?

Remember how Hurley got the numbers in the first place. He got them from Crazy Lenny at the Santa Rosa Mental Health Institute. Crazy Lenny got it from Sam Toomey who heard it while he was a radio operator back in like WW2.

The "new" timeline didn't diverge from the original one until the Incident in 1977, so everything before 1977 would be the same.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 07:56:24 PM »
Actually, now that I think about it...

Hurley was in the SRMHI because of an accident he had where a deck collapsed and people died. He blamed himself because of his weight issues. If nothing bad happens to ATL Hurley (the self proclaimed luckiest guy in the world) , then he wouldn't have gone to the nut house and never heard the numbers and....crap now I've gone cross-eyed.

DAMN YOU MULTIPLE TIMELINES!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:58:07 PM by CaseyMac »

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 12:03:12 AM »
The island submerged in a much later time. There is evidence to it, but to truly backup those, and do not make it look as just an opinion, I would have to use some minor spoilers. So, still in the the field of belief, but people can trust, the island couldn't have sunk right in 1977.

explain yourself
post a thread in the spoiler section

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 02:04:54 AM »

Remember how Hurley got the numbers in the first place. He got them from Crazy Lenny at the Santa Rosa Mental Health Institute. Crazy Lenny got it from Sam Toomey who heard it while he was a radio operator back in like WW2.

The "new" timeline didn't diverge from the original one until the Incident in 1977, so everything before 1977 would be the same.

Nevermind. I guess it wasn't that long ago that Lenny got the numbers.

Totally forget the stupid misinformation I had above. lol