Author Topic: Hurley  (Read 5580 times)

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Hurley
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 06:56:03 AM »
I'm counting any apparition that tries to convince the O6 to come back to the Island as an incarnation of MIB.  So that's Charlie and Ana Lucia.  We never heard anything Mr. Eko said to Hurley, just that they played chess.  Dave was maybe always a figment of Hurley's imagination and never said anything about the Island that I can recall.  Hurley seeing Jacob is clearly Jacob since MIB is elsewhere on the Island as UnLocke at that very moment.

If people are saying there were two Christians (based on white shoes/black shoes?) then maybe only one of them was MIB and the other was the "real" Christian's ghost.  I count it as MIB when Christian appears to O6 Jack and tries to convince him to go back to the Island.

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2010, 01:04:31 PM »
i think its obvious why hurley has this power to see dead people. he's the only one that would believe what he is seeing. just think. all the others wouldn't believe, and probably end up trying to shoot the apparitions a few times, then just give up in disbelief. hurley will believe almost anything, which is why the Island uses these "ghosts" to appear to him, and why Jacob trusts hurley

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2010, 03:06:20 PM »
Yeah, Hurley is the most "innocent" of all the Losties.

Offline westy185

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »
To leave this timeline for a moment - what about Hurley in the new (to us) timeline where the plane doesn't crash?

Why is Hurley on that plane? What about the numbers?

Hurley won the lottery by using the numbers that originated on the island - without those numbers, he wouldn't have hit the lottery. Of course, we don't know why those numbers were the winning numbers (though presumably some strange forces were at work - they appeared again to him on his car's odometer), but it would still seem to be a monumental coincidence that it would be Hurley who would win the lottery with those or any other numbers in the new timeline, which should not be affected by the old timeline at all.

And without winning the lottery, Hurley wouldn't have been in Australia and on that flight. Hurley seems to be unique in that the island apparently stepped into his life (through the numbers) and changed it to the point that he found himself on the plane to LAX that would crash on the island (in old timeline). I don’t mean to say that the island intentionally did this – Hurley’s use of the numbers seems more accidental than intentional. However, his fellow mental patient wouldn’t know those numbers if he didn’t hear them in a distress signal in the old timeline – in the new timeline, the island’s underwater and there can be no distress signal. So why is Hurley a lottery winner and why is he on the plane?

Remember how Hurley got the numbers in the first place. He got them from Crazy Lenny at the Santa Rosa Mental Health Institute. Crazy Lenny got it from Sam Toomey who heard it while he was a radio operator back in like WW2.

The "new" timeline didn't diverge from the original one until the Incident in 1977, so everything before 1977 would be the same.

Nevermind. I guess it wasn't that long ago that Lenny got the numbers.

Totally forget the stupid misinformation I had above. lol

Thanks, CaseyMac. I would have wasted quite a bit of time looking that up.

Offline westy185

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2010, 06:19:58 PM »

Wasn't it jarring to see him with that gun? I don't remember him ever drawing down on anyone or anything before - or even holding a gun for that matter.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2010, 06:26:31 PM »

Wasn't it jarring to see him with that gun? I don't remember him ever drawing down on anyone or anything before - or even holding a gun for that matter.
It was funny when he kept fumbling with it while yelling, "I've got a gun and I know how to use it!"

Offline westy185

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2010, 06:40:18 PM »
Actually, now that I think about it...

Hurley was in the SRMHI because of an accident he had where a deck collapsed and people died. He blamed himself because of his weight issues. If nothing bad happens to ATL Hurley (the self proclaimed luckiest guy in the world) , then he wouldn't have gone to the nut house and never heard the numbers and....crap now I've gone cross-eyed.

DAMN YOU MULTIPLE TIMELINES!!

Thank you! (Hope your eyes have uncrossed.) I do like the multiple timelines, though. I've been a proponent of them for years now (has it really been years? sigh) but was proven wrong on at least one occasion. I always thought that the plane that went down in the ocean was real, that the island caused the plane to split into two different dimensions or timelines, one crashed on the island, one ran out out of fuel (because the plane was damaged in the incident and the pilots lost consciousness) and went down in the ocean. WRONG! Widmore staged the whole thing. But it is funny how the alt timelines have one plane crashing, one just flying over the island, hitting turbulence, perhaps disturbing things on the plane (Desmond's appearance, etc.).

However, I don't recall the whole rabbit experiment ever really being explained and I don't think we know why Pierre Chang uses different names in the orientation films. Has my theory of multiple Changs existing because of time travel ever been proven wrong? (I thought there were two Lockes, too, and there were, but for very different reasons.)

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2010, 07:03:40 PM »

It was funny when he kept fumbling with it while yelling, "I've got a gun and I know how to use it!"
it just showed how innocent he was that he didn't even know how to cock the gun lol

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2010, 05:09:55 AM »
However, I don't recall the whole rabbit experiment ever really being explained and I don't think we know why Pierre Chang uses different names in the orientation films. Has my theory of multiple Changs existing because of time travel ever been proven wrong?

yeah, the rabbit was never really explained
I hope they do explain it
but I bet we never get an explanation about the different names

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2010, 08:20:40 AM »
However, I don't recall the whole rabbit experiment ever really being explained and I don't think we know why Pierre Chang uses different names in the orientation films. Has my theory of multiple Changs existing because of time travel ever been proven wrong? (I thought there were two Lockes, too, and there were, but for very different reasons.)

Miles existed as an adult and a baby within the same time-space.

Offline westy185

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »
Miles existed as an adult and a baby within the same time-space.

The reasons the bunnies couldn't touch had better not contradict with why there were no ramifications when Baby Miles and adult Miles existed for several months in the same time-space (Miles was in Dharma for 3 years, but baby was born at least two years after he arrived). Could it be as easy as he never had physical contact with himself as a baby?

Wooo. Now that I think about that - could pregnant women dying on the island be related to the biological fact that Miles could have fathered himself on the island? I'm not saying that happened, but it could be biologically possible. The union would be incestuous, of course, but babies are conceived between father and daughter quite often, unfortunately.

What if pregnancies were getting terminated after "the incident" to prevent a man from fathering himself - or somehow preventing a woman from giving birth to herself? But terminating every pregnancy would be science gone crazy, it would literally be overkill.

Which all comes down to that fact that the writers have a lot of loose ends to tie up. This part of time travel - bunnies, Miles, pregnancies - are similar to the seemingly endless ways that the dead, and sometimes the living, can appear to certain people out of nowhere and then disappear. Let's not forget Walt's appearances to Shannon, Boone's appearances to Locke, Libby's appearance to Michael, the whispers, Christian's many appearances, Smoky/Locke's appearances - they (and many others) seem to be by different means. I hope the writers tie things up well - what a job they have!

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2010, 08:37:33 AM »
I seriously doubt Miles fathered himself lol.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010, 10:56:13 AM »
I see too, that the last episode of Lost is entitled “Everybody Loves Hurley.”

Is that really going to be the last episode -- are there only eleven episodes this season?  I know Sledgeweb has "Everybody Loves Hugo" listed last under Child Boards, but I wasn't sure if that was just because TPTB haven't released the episode titles for any later episodes.  I thought there were going to be more than eleven episodes?...  I know for sure that the finale episode airs May 23rd, so if there are only eleven episodes, then we are going to have several weeks in-between where we don't get an episode.

And weird that the next-to-last one (if it is) is called "Happily Ever After."  That one sounds more "last-episode," doesn't it?

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2010, 11:02:09 AM »
I see too, that the last episode of Lost is entitled “Everybody Loves Hurley.”

Is that really going to be the last episode -- are there only eleven episodes this season?  I know Sledgeweb has "Everybody Loves Hugo" listed last under Child Boards, but I wasn't sure if that was just because TPTB haven't released the episode titles for any later episodes.  I thought there were going to be more than eleven episodes?...  I know for sure that the finale episode airs May 23rd, so if there are only eleven episodes, then we are going to have several weeks in-between where we don't get an episode.

And weird that the next-to-last one (if it is) is called "Happily Ever After."  That one sounds more "last-episode," doesn't it?
It shouldn't be the last episode. There are supposed to 18 this year if I remember correctly. I'd chalk it up to them not having released the last few episode titles yet.

Offline Chuckie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2010, 07:19:36 PM »
I haven't read this entire thread yet, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating here. I'll go back and read the whole thing, and come edit my post accordingly.

The reason that Hurley could see/speak to Jacob and not Miles was revealed. Last season. I knew going into this season that Hurley would be doing some speaking for Jacob. In Some Like It Hoth we see Miles meet with that guy who wanted his "son to know I loved him." And Miles makes it clear that there has to be a body, he can't speak/communicate with someone who was cremated. What happened to Jacob? stabbed, and kicked into the fire. THAT, I think, is why Jacob appears to Hurley, and not talking to Miles.