Author Topic: Schrödinger's cat theory as it might relate to Lost  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Schrödinger's cat theory as it might relate to Lost
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 10:10:38 PM »
I am going with time is a street...It took me awhile to buy into that logic but like many of us here it is the rule of the comic book geek.

I am kinda seeing it as another street that runs parallel to the one that we are used to seeing. Things lead up to 1977 and then split. A butterfly effect takes place on the alternate street. Meaning things are the same but slightly different.

Here on the new street Jack is the nervous flier, with maybe not the drinking problem he has on the other street. Frogurt is still a pain in the arse...But Hurley is different and so on.

I am looking forward to see how this plays out. Only once did I take issue with the writers...

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 12:05:31 AM »
To quote FJL "Most of what he says is over my head.  The rest is WAY over it."

Offline mushermellon

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 12:18:31 AM »
If someone "looks into the box," maybe it's Desmond, since he is (or was?) special.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 02:01:32 PM »
My guess is that the ones that will look inside the box are each of us, inside our heads, choosing the end that fits most what we like.
I am with the Schrödinger's cat on this one. There aren't 2 parallel universes. There is ONE, and LA X timeline will be explained and fitted to be acceptable as a possibility, just like island one is now, with all the known details we have.
And one thing that pushes me on this way is the fact that LOST will be really finished in this season. No wayy to develop anything more, after that, the producers said more than once.
The "we will not define which one happened" style of Schrödinger's cat port to the series fits that. That's why I believe in it.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 08:09:08 PM »
I thought Juliet told Sawyer that she tried to explode the bomb but it wouldn't go off (and Sawyer was upset that she went along with Jack's plan because that meant she wished they had never met).

BTW, I'm on board with both timelines ultimately merging.  That should at least agree with the show's notion that the universe will always correct itself ultimately.  So something in the original 2007 must also cause the Island to wind up at the bottom of the ocean.

Offline westy185

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 07:36:04 PM »

Here's a couple of good video explaining both:
Schrödinger's Cat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrxqTtiWxs4
Double Slit Experiment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc

Basically both experiments relates to quantum physics, and says that the outcome is determined when you observe what's going on. In Schrödinger's Cat, you don't know if the cat is dead or alive until you look in the box. In the Double Slit Experiment an electron will behave a certain way but if you look at it, it will behave differently....the act of looking changes things.

So we have two timelines, the one we're familiar with where Jughead didn't go off (Everybody's on the Island), and the one where Jughead did go off (everybody is off the sunken island). So let say it has to be one or the other only. Like Schrödinger's Cat experiment, the state of the timelines is both at the same time because nobody has looked in the box yet. So maybe at some point at the end of the season, somebody will look in the box....and at that time it will be determined which timeline actually exists. Maybe this Box might actually be the Box Ben talks about.

Thanks for sharing those videos - double split is mind blowing.

Your or anyone else's take on how this could relate to Locke's father? I'll never forget Ben explaining to Locke that "you brought him here" when Locke asks just how his dad ended up on the island. This is also when Ben spoke of the Box.

We now know that Jacob figured in Locke's fall and apparently saved his life. In an ABC preview, Locke's fall is seen again from a bird's perspective, but he is going UP not DOWN; so I guess the writers are going to revisit this and answer the question of how Locke brought his father to the island. But since we haven't seen Locke bring his father to the island, does this mean that Locke in the new timeline will be the one to do this since in the timeline where Locke is still on the island he is dead?

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 08:25:55 PM »
This will help people also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KN6a8inOF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEzRdZGYNvA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

Michael Faraday Scientist who contributed to the fields of electromagnetism and electrochemistry.

Hugh Everett III (Mark Everett dad EELS ) was an American physicist who first proposed the many-worlds interpretation (MWI) of quantum physics, which he called his "relative state" formulation.

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 08:32:58 AM »

Your or anyone else's take on how this could relate to Locke's father? I'll never forget Ben explaining to Locke that "you brought him here" when Locke asks just how his dad ended up on the island. This is also when Ben spoke of the Box.

I'm not sure....but one thought does occur to me....Locke put Sawyer in a room (box) with Anthony Cooper. There's a chance Sawyer will kill Cooper, there's a chance Sawyer will not kill Cooper. Locke is outside waiting (I think listening too?). Locke doesn't know if Cooper is killed or not until he opens the door and looks in.

Could this be a reference to Schrödinger's Cat? I'll maybe have to rewatch the episode.

One thing I forgot to mention about Schrödinger's Cat & the Double Slit Experiment. Schrödinger's Cat is just a thought experiment to show how our thinking & understanding of Quantum Mechanics seems absurd when applied to "real world" objects. However from what I understand, the Double Slit Experiment has actually been performed and those were the result discovered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_slit_experiment

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 12:01:11 PM »

I'm not sure....but one thought does occur to me....Locke put Sawyer in a room (box) with Anthony Cooper. There's a chance Sawyer will kill Cooper, there's a chance Sawyer will not kill Cooper. Locke is outside waiting (I think listening too?). Locke doesn't know if Cooper is killed or not until he opens the door and looks in.

Could this be a reference to Schrödinger's Cat? I'll maybe have to rewatch the episode.

One thing I forgot to mention about Schrödinger's Cat & the Double Slit Experiment. Schrödinger's Cat is just a thought experiment to show how our thinking & understanding of Quantum Mechanics seems absurd when applied to "real world" objects. However from what I understand, the Double Slit Experiment has actually been performed and those were the result discovered.

The thing that I always take away from double slit is when it is measured it seems to take on a life of it's own...

Then there is String theory....but maybe later

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 12:20:57 PM »

Really good catch, BlitzWing. 

I am still trying to figure out the whole "kill Anthony Cooper" thing.  Remember in this last episode (LA X) how shocked Ben looked when he was talking to Un-Locke -- "You brought me in here just to kill him."  Well, isn't that what Ben did to real-John Locke when he tried to get him to kill Anthony Cooper?  Why did Ben do that?  Had Jacob (or MIB?) gotten Ben to try something?  Was that an early attempt or a "practice run" on having an "alternate" assassin? 

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 01:57:39 PM »
Pulled from Lostpedia:

Put in LOST terms, the lost people are both on the island (plane crashed) and off the island (plane never crashed) (to the viewer (outside the box)), until someone is able to peer inside and actually see what happened...in other words, one of the lost people is going to have to "open the box" (aka, find a way to see what actually happened) in order to reveal the true reality of the effect of the bomb. Therefore, the rest of the season will be showing us, the viewer, both POSSIBLE outcomes of what happened when the bomb went off (off the island vs. on the island) At some point someone (maybe Desmond) will have the ability to 'peer inside the box' and figure out which reality actually happened as a result of the bomb.

Didn't Hurley open the box with the numbers?

Offline jasond

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 08:49:46 PM »

The Double Slit is a perfect example as well (seriously, everyone here should read Timeline by Crichton). Even when only one photon was put out at a time, the result was still as if they were interacting with each other.

There's also the quote by Eloise (sp?) about how the universe will correct itself. Things may still be headed in the same direction in the alternate timeline. Locke being able to walk again, Kate getting Aaron, etc.

I'm wondering if the final episode will just end with someone "opening the box" and the screen fading to black Soprano style. It will be up to us to determine what timeline was real.