Author Topic: "Good to see you out of those chains"  (Read 5714 times)

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: "Good to see you out of those chains"
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 10:30:54 AM »
Well, I'm going to start calling him the Man In Black SMOKE, since he's the smoke monster (which is why they were giving us hints at the end of season 5 by dressing him in black).

I assumed Richard said "YOU!" merely because he finally figured out who he was. And I'm guessing he hadn't seen him for whatever reason he also hadn't seen Jacob in person all that time. Plus, it seems the Man In Black has been cloaking himself as the Smoke Monster off and on throughout the decades... and Richard might have had a hard time recognizing him for that reason too.

It's like everyone suddenly realized that Jacob being dead ipso facto meant that the Man In Black was now in charge.

I got the same gut instinct response to when Richard said "You!"  He realized that MIB had taken Locke's body at that point in time.  Freakishly cool moment in the show.  Definitely one of my favorites.

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 10:31:27 AM »
I definitely was wanting more Richard last night! Why didn't he go into the chamber under the statue when Ben told him to? That might have cleared up a few questions!

Offline lovinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 10:38:24 AM »
I definitely was wanting more Richard last night! Why didn't he go into the chamber under the statue when Ben told him to? That might have cleared up a few questions!

Because he knew that it wasn't Locke in there.  Ben told him that John wanted to talk to him.  Richard knew that Locke's dead body was on the beach.  He knew he'd be walking into a trap, so he sent in the bodyguards, who were subsequently all killed.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 12:18:54 PM »
Seeing richard get his ass handed to him was pretty cool.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 12:29:22 PM »
I love how they answer a question, "Who/What is the smoke monster?" and follow it with a new question, "Why was Richard in chains?"

Offline Des

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 01:00:53 PM »
I love how they answer a question, "Who/What is the smoke monster?" and follow it with a new question, "Why was Richard in chains?"

Isn't that how LOST always does it?! lol

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 01:18:22 PM »
While I too had thought that Richard had been around since the Egyptian days gone by, it did seem that in the Jacob/MIB beach party scene that they made it appear that they were the only two "beings" on the island, and now Jacob was pulling in a slave ship to have some fun with.  If this is true, then the earliest time Richie could have joined the fun is as a slave on the chain gang.

I also loved the "YOU!!!"  response.  Classic.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 01:53:02 PM »
Back to Richard though, if we are taking fake-Locke's comment literally I suggest that the Black Rock is too obvious an answer. If we're still to believe this Egyptian influence perhaps Richard is REALLY old.
The Egyptians were especially famous for slave labor, perhaps he beat the Black Rock there by a thousand years?

I'm more inclined to take it figuratively as well, but in the literal sense I don't like the Black Rock theory. It's almost not complicated enough... if that's even a legitimate complaint anymore.

First I want to clear this up. It is a myth that the pyramids were built by slaves. New evidence shows that the workers were honored with proper burials.
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=540157

Second, I'm inclined to believe the "in chains" thing to be figurative - NOT literal.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 01:56:27 PM »
OK OK, coming back right quick to say I'm leaning back on literal chains.

We know that Jacob and the MIB saw the ship coming towards the island, which we think is the Black Rock.
We know the Black Rock is a late-1800s British trading ship that also had slaves aboard.

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 02:05:18 PM »
I don't know if anyone else has postulated it, but just from the way he was acting, and the way he looked at Richard Alpert, my first thought was "oh, I bet he was the black rock/slave ship captain".  Just something from the way he said it.

Offline grizn0

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 02:17:13 PM »
I don't know if anyone else has postulated it, but just from the way he was acting, and the way he looked at Richard Alpert, my first thought was "oh, I bet he was the black rock/slave ship captain".  Just something from the way he said it.
I kind of thought he might have been on the Black Rock too but.... he's Smokey. Who is Jacob's nemesis. So I don't know if I can see that happening.

Offline misseko815

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 05:19:13 PM »
Back to Richard though, if we are taking fake-Locke's comment literally I suggest that the Black Rock is too obvious an answer. If we're still to believe this Egyptian influence perhaps Richard is REALLY old.
The Egyptians were especially famous for slave labor, perhaps he beat the Black Rock there by a thousand years?

I agree and I've been hoping Richard's story goes all the way back to ancient Egypt.  The only thing that goes against this is a gut feeling that the beach scene with Jacob and The MIB seemed to suggest they were alone on the island at that time and Jabob was starting things up again by drawing the Black Rock (MIB said 'You brought them').   Also, my first thought was that The MIB meant Richard was free from serving Jacob, not that he had been a slave before.  And he definitely wasn't a slave to The MIB and saved by Jacob because why would MIB say 'it's nice to see you free'. 

I think he was being sarcastic when he said, "it's nice to see you free". Richard definitely didn't seem to have an affinity for MIB, and I think he was loyal to Jacob because he wanted to be, not because he was forced to.

Offline hackgrid

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2010, 05:33:15 PM »
Since Locke didn't want to leave the island I guess MIB wants/has to leave the island to return home - maybe egypt?

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2010, 05:35:59 PM »
If we are to take the chains comment literally why hasn't MIB seen Richard in the last couple hundered years?  Actually, regardless of how he meant it, how have these two not seen each other?

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2010, 05:41:13 PM »
Maybe he meant that he is no longer "chained" to Jacob?