Author Topic: Have we seen glasses Hippy Dude before?  (Read 5004 times)

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Have we seen glasses Hippy Dude before?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 07:47:30 AM »
Hippy Dude reminded me of Horace....say doesn't Horace have a baby with Amy? Wouldn't that Baby be about twenty something now? Hippy Dude is probably Amy & Horace's kid!

Offline trodge

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 07:57:35 AM »
Hippy Dude reminded me of Horace....say doesn't Horace have a baby with Amy? Wouldn't that Baby be about twenty something now? Hippy Dude is probably Amy & Horace's kid!

Didn't they have that kid around 77?  That kid should be 30ish. Where they the ones to name their kid Ethan?  Or was that a different couple?

I really should have watched all the seasons during the break.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 08:50:42 AM »
Amy and Horace's kid is Ethan Rom.

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 09:34:40 AM »
Oh yeah, you guys are right....Horace & Amy's kid was Ethan. That Hippy Dude just so reminded me of Dharma Hippy Horace.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 02:43:28 PM »
Just to help with nomenclature: The guy's name is officially Lennon and the guy he is translating is Dogan.

EDIT: and as far as I can tell, we have NOT seen him before.

Offline Xentro

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 04:21:51 PM »
That was my first comment to the people I was watching it with. They stumble on an ancient temple with dozens of people headed by an Emperor and a dead Beatle. Just when you think they're out of curve balls to throw  ::)

Lol, could not phrase it better !

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 02:11:39 PM »
I got the feeling that the filthy hippy had been there for a while. Like he knew his role was to be near that guy all the time.

Offline ukslim

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 08:00:41 AM »
I think his first name is John. The guy with him was named Ringo.

You actually had me going there for a second. I assume Richard Starkey's friends didn't know this when they gave him his nickname, but "Ringo" is Japanese for "Apple".

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 02:34:37 AM »
I got the feeling that the filthy hippy had been there for a while. Like he knew his role was to be near that guy all the time.

Perhaps in a role similar to Richard's? hmmmmmmm, head scratcher...

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 09:39:46 AM »

Possibly, but I'm no where near as interested in the mystery behind the Filthy Hippy as I am about the mystery that surrounds Richard, nothing personal, I've just known Richard longer that the filthy hippy.

Offline Numbers Junkie

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 07:10:13 PM »

Possibly, but I'm no where near as interested in the mystery behind the Filthy Hippy as I am about the mystery that surrounds Richard, nothing personal, I've just known Richard longer that the filthy hippy.

Agreed Bob, Richard is the man and we still know very little about him. I have heard he was a slave on the Black Rock ship, but that is not confirmed other than the "good to see you out of those chains" comment by UnLocke. So I guess we'll see soon...

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 11:49:23 PM »
I'm deffinitely thinking he was a slave. I originally thought he was like a crewman or something, but I knew he arrived on that boat.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 07:22:39 PM »
I'm deffinitely thinking he was a slave. I originally thought he was like a crewman or something, but I knew he arrived on that boat.
Where do you think he was a slave from? I was talking about this the other day, and I couldn't come up with anything that made sense.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 01:53:07 AM »
Where do you think he was a slave from? I was talking about this the other day, and I couldn't come up with anything that made sense.

Okay, so, after doing some super quick research, this is what I came up with. Partial facts, partial wiki, partial opinion...And heeeeeeeere we go.

Well, Richard Alpert is played by Nestor Carbonell who is born of Cuban and Catalan (Spaniard) descent (courtesy of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestor_Carbonell). And since the LOST writers are usually pretty good at keeping that kind of stuff in check, I'm assuming that they will use some kind of historical accuracy when explaining his origin. So how does that help us?? Well, according to the power of the wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_slave_trade
African Slave trade

"Slavery in North Africa...between the 16th and 19th centuries...The coastal villages and towns of Italy, Portugal, Spain and Mediterranean islands were frequently attacked by them [Barbary pirates]"

Since the Black Rock set sail on March 22nd, 1845, that falls into the time period of "between the 16th and 19th centuries" Now Barbary pirates obviously weren't on a ship coming out of Portsmouth, but maybe, juuuuuuuust maybe, this ship decided for some reason to take on some unpaid help in order to do the mining. I'm not sure how you would sail in order to get to Siam (Thailand) from England, but it seems reasonable to think that you would pass by Spain. Now, if you're wiliing to take that journey with me, then this shouldn't be too hard to also swallow, but what if the sailors on the black rock decided to take advantage of the Burbary pirates viciousness, and just swooped in and took a bunch of people with them.

Now, this might be a stretch, and I'm not even sure where a person with Catalan descent would come from in Spain (North, south, East, West???), but since slaves were taken from Spain, this would make the most sense to me. I'm not in love with this idea, but like I said, it does make sense...kinda.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 10:45:36 AM »
Okay, so, after doing some super quick research, this is what I came up with. Partial facts, partial wiki, partial opinion...And heeeeeeeere we go.

Well, Richard Alpert is played by Nestor Carbonell who is born of Cuban and Catalan (Spaniard) descent (courtesy of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestor_Carbonell). And since the LOST writers are usually pretty good at keeping that kind of stuff in check, I'm assuming that they will use some kind of historical accuracy when explaining his origin. So how does that help us?? Well, according to the power of the wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_slave_trade
African Slave trade

"Slavery in North Africa...between the 16th and 19th centuries...The coastal villages and towns of Italy, Portugal, Spain and Mediterranean islands were frequently attacked by them [Barbary pirates]"

Since the Black Rock set sail on March 22nd, 1845, that falls into the time period of "between the 16th and 19th centuries" Now Barbary pirates obviously weren't on a ship coming out of Portsmouth, but maybe, juuuuuuuust maybe, this ship decided for some reason to take on some unpaid help in order to do the mining. I'm not sure how you would sail in order to get to Siam (Thailand) from England, but it seems reasonable to think that you would pass by Spain. Now, if you're wiliing to take that journey with me, then this shouldn't be too hard to also swallow, but what if the sailors on the black rock decided to take advantage of the Burbary pirates viciousness, and just swooped in and took a bunch of people with them.

Now, this might be a stretch, and I'm not even sure where a person with Catalan descent would come from in Spain (North, south, East, West???), but since slaves were taken from Spain, this would make the most sense to me. I'm not in love with this idea, but like I said, it does make sense...kinda.
Or maybe Richard is a Barbary pirate and England caught him? ... I know he's Cuban, but he could pass for nearly anything in the Mediterranean, I think. His accent bugs me, though. I tried coming up with a theory about Babel fish but it fell through. I can believe that he got to the island via Black Rock... but now I'm wondering why Jacob chose him? Whether Richard was a slave, or the captain, or whomever... and if Lennon came over on the Black Rock, why was he chosen? And how did Dogen get there? Gah!