Author Topic: Why didn't Jacob fight back?  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Why didn't Jacob fight back?
« on: February 02, 2010, 10:28:56 PM »
For the same reason that Obi Wan didn't.

If you strike him down, he will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Why didn't Jacob fight back?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 10:31:17 PM »
like Jesus.  destiny is destiny.  he couldn't change the outcome.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 10:40:17 PM »
As a kid watching Star Wars for the first time, I was confused about the light saber.  I saw Vader swing at a non-resisting Obi Was and he disappeared.  I thought that somehow a light saber would disintegrate someone inside their clothes.  Only later did I realize that Obi Wan was giving himself over to the force so he could appear to others from beyond the grave...a trick he learned from Qui Gon Jin.

I notice that as Ben and the Man-In-Locke stand around the fire into which Jacob was kicked, there is no body or skeleton or anything.  It's as if he vanished.

Offline DaveJohnson

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 12:06:23 AM »
Jacob didn't fight because he has his own loophole worked out. I think Jacob will survive the time-split and the finale will be the remerging of the two timelines. Jacob will emerge alive. QED  ;D

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 12:13:03 AM »
I'm still waiting for Jacob to turn out evil, although they're making a pretty strong case against the man in black this episode.

Offline LockedInLost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 12:44:53 AM »
As a kid watching Star Wars for the first time, I was confused about the light saber.  I saw Vader swing at a non-resisting Obi Was and he disappeared.  I thought that somehow a light saber would disintegrate someone inside their clothes.  Only later did I realize that Obi Wan was giving himself over to the force so he could appear to others from beyond the grave...a trick he learned from Qui Gon Jin.

I notice that as Ben and the Man-In-Locke stand around the fire into which Jacob was kicked, there is no body or skeleton or anything.  It's as if he vanished.
Yes, very obi-wan like...

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 12:46:42 AM »
That's actually a fantastic parallel. I, being a Star Wars nerd, am a little disappointed I didn't catch that earlier. We know how much this team loves their Star Wars.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 12:07:26 PM »

If you strike him down, he will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

This is exactly what I thought of as well.  We might as well call him Obi-Wan Jacobi. 

"If you strike me down Darth, er, uh Darth's goon Ben, I mean..."

"Luke, er, uh, Hugo, you will go to the Degobah system, I mean temple, yes temple(!), and meet with a short dude with pointy features...."

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 12:15:43 PM »

This is exactly what I thought of as well.  We might as well call him Obi-Wan Jacobi. 

"If you strike me down Darth, er, uh Darth's goon Ben, I mean..."

"Luke, er, uh, Hugo, you will go to the Degobah system, I mean temple, yes temple(!), and meet with a short dude with pointy features...."

This exact same thought came to me when he didn't put up a fight and seemed to disappear in the fire.  Now he is more powerful than I could even imagine.

And he sent Hugo(Luke) to the temple to "use the force" to revive Sayid.  May the force be with you.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 01:15:23 PM »
Jacob didn't fight because he has his own loophole worked out. I think Jacob will survive the time-split and the finale will be the remerging of the two timelines. Jacob will emerge alive. QED  ;D
I like this idea! But does that mean that the True Timeline broke off, like split ends, and now has to be put together? Like, the timeline should never have split in the first place?

When Jacob didn't resist, the first thing I thought of was Aslan from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Which, of course, is based in Christian and other religious mythology.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 02:01:32 PM »
I like this idea! But does that mean that the True Timeline broke off, like split ends, and now has to be put together? Like, the timeline should never have split in the first place?

When Jacob didn't resist, the first thing I thought of was Aslan from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Which, of course, is based in Christian and other religious mythology.

Actually, this is a good point.  I know of this mostly from an episode of Babylon 5, Passing Through Gethesamane, which relates the story of how Jesus spent his last night in the Garden of Gethesamane willingly, even though he knew that the mob would be coming for him in the morning to kill him.  Just like Jacob, hanging out in the toe of the statue.  He could have left, saved himself, but didn't....

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 05:00:34 PM »
I might be saying what everyone else is saying, but in a different way, so if I am, please let me know. LOL It seemed to me that he didn't fight back because he didn't really think that Ben was going to stab him. He did make the point to say, "No matter what he told you, you have a choice." and he expected Ben to make the "right choice" and not kill him.

Offline MachThree

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 05:16:36 PM »
I might be saying what everyone else is saying, but in a different way, so if I am, please let me know. LOL It seemed to me that he didn't fight back because he didn't really think that Ben was going to stab him. He did make the point to say, "No matter what he told you, you have a choice." and he expected Ben to make the "right choice" and not kill him.

I think I disagree.  I mean, he pretty much goaded Ben into doing it:

Ben:  "What about me?"
Jacob: "What about you?" (said in the most dismissive, sarcastic tone I can imagine)

Offline hackgrid

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 05:23:43 PM »
I think Jacob hoped that Ben wouldn't kill him, but in the very likely case that he does get killed Jacob prepared some loophole for him.

Like bringing Hurley on the island who could talk to dead people. Maybe Jacob even caused Hurley to have this gift...

Offline DaveJohnson

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 05:25:36 PM »

I think the LAX time line will be the split off one - but in order for them to merge the two time lines will need to be in some kind of sync... specifically everyone alive or dead in the Original time line will also need to be alive or dead in the LAX time line. This may prove hard to accomplish, and will be the source of drama in the season. For example, Charlie was 'supposed to' die on the plane (as he is dead in the Original time line), and Sayid needed to live in the Original time line as he is alive in the LAX time line (or if he died in Original he would need to die in LAX time line, which might be impossible for Jacob to guarantee). Jacob will use the two time lines to survive the murder.