Author Topic: Pregnancy problems and the statue of Tawaret  (Read 1568 times)

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Pregnancy problems and the statue of Tawaret
« on: January 28, 2010, 09:08:33 AM »
On the repeat of "The Incident", the caption specifically says the statue of Tawaret is about the protection of childbirth.

But later it says that it's true when Ben tells Sun that the statue was already just a foot when he got to the Island in 1973.

So when did the pregnancy problems begin?  If the collapse of the statue doesn't "cause" it -- we saw Amy's baby being safely delivered, right?  Or is that something Juliet changed that didn't happen before?  Do we know for sure that Ethan and/or Carl were born on the Island?  Does that mean The Incident caused the pregnancy problem?  Or was it a "curse" in response to the Purge in 1992?

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Pregnancy problems and the statue of Tawaret
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 10:54:20 AM »
wow
those are excellent questions
you made some really good connections about the timeline
if the statue was "protecting" then did it lose its protecting power when it was destroyed ?
and if so how was Amy able to give birth ?
that is an interesting question

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 01:20:13 PM »
Jacob is dead now, I think the ashes around the cabin in the past are his own ashes, put there by the losties and he needs a body.
The man in black (I think he is the electromagnetic energy under the Swan, freed by the incident and freed by Locke again by not pushing the button) needs a body and smokey needs a body too.
They use bodies of dead people now (Christian, Locke, Alex, Robert).
But with that bodies they also get the memories and experiences of the person the body belonged to.

They all need a tabula rasa, a newborn, for reincarnation.
To avoid that one of them can reincarnate the island or the statue or Jacob makes childbirth impossible.

Than Aaron is born and taken away from the island to grow up safe and Jacob is no longer in the cabin.

I could believe Jacob is a grown up Aaron, who returns to the island in the past when he is older and needs all the people he touched to make sure he will be born and taken off the island, but also knows that they have to kill him to make sure he can be born.

That makes sense  :D.

I can't wait till it starts again.

Offline lostlady

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 05:53:57 PM »
Jacob is dead now, I think the ashes around the cabin in the past are his own ashes, put there by the losties and he needs a body.
The man in black (I think he is the electromagnetic energy under the Swan, freed by the incident and freed by Locke again by not pushing the button) needs a body and smokey needs a body too.
They use bodies of dead people now (Christian, Locke, Alex, Robert).
But with that bodies they also get the memories and experiences of the person the body belonged to.

They all need a tabula rasa, a newborn, for reincarnation.
To avoid that one of them can reincarnate the island or the statue or Jacob makes childbirth impossible.

Than Aaron is born and taken away from the island to grow up safe and Jacob is no longer in the cabin.

I could believe Jacob is a grown up Aaron, who returns to the island in the past when he is older and needs all the people he touched to make sure he will be born and taken off the island, but also knows that they have to kill him to make sure he can be born.

That makes sense  :D.

I can't wait till it starts again.

That makes a lot of sense!! I think you are on to something!

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 06:00:33 PM »
On the repeat of "The Incident", the caption specifically says the statue of Tawaret is about the protection of childbirth.

But later it says that it's true when Ben tells Sun that the statue was already just a foot when he got to the Island in 1973.

So when did the pregnancy problems begin?  If the collapse of the statue doesn't "cause" it -- we saw Amy's baby being safely delivered, right?  Or is that something Juliet changed that didn't happen before?  Do we know for sure that Ethan and/or Carl were born on the Island?  Does that mean The Incident caused the pregnancy problem?  Or was it a "curse" in response to the Purge in 1992?

The collapse of the statue didn't cause it. The problem existed beforehand, which is why the statue was built - to try to fix the problem (although it didn't). - this is just a guess.