ABC Officially Reveals Statue's Identity

5x16_statue_2.jpgTwo weeks ago, during the season finale of Lost, we got the very first full glimpse of the four-toed statue, face and all, just like we were promised by the producers earlier in the season. However, we were also told that it would be clear just who that statue was depicting, and though some obviously saw clearly who it was, there was nothing to give us the official word on it, and some of you, me included, have remained a bit frustrated at the ambiguity of exactly which Egyptian deity the statue was built to represent.

Though it was obvious that it was not Anubis (as I had personally thought), I also wasn't entirely convinced that it was Taweret. Suddenly, Sobek, an Egyptian god that resembled the face of a crocodile seemed a likely candidate as well. I did post in the investigations after the season finale that Taweret seemed the most likely possibility at the time but I also didn't really want to believe it, simply because there were so many better deities in my opinion. But ABC has settled the speculation for us, and in a rather quiet manner, I might add. According to the most recent recap at ABC.com, the statue is in fact Taweret. I know, I know, many of you saw this from the very first moment we caught a glimpse at the back of the statue, so go ahead and use the comments below to proclaim your brilliance, cleverness, and aptitude for figuring out the mysteries of Lost, something I obviously suck at.

And now, a little about Taweret. Wikipedia has this to say about the Egyptian Goddess:

Her name means (one) who is great. When paired with another deity, she became the demon-wife of Apep, the original god of evil. Since Apep was viewed as residing below the horizon, and only present at night, evil during the day then was envisaged as being a result of Taweret's malfeasance.

As the counterpart of Apep, who was always below the horizon, Taweret was seen as being the northern sky, the constellation roughly covering the area of present-day Draco, which always lies above the horizon. Thus Taweret was known as mistress of the horizon, and was depicted as such on the ceiling of the tomb of Seti I in the Valley of the Kings.

Later they go into more detail about how Taweret became known as the Goddess of fertility and child birth:

Early during the Old Kingdom, the Egyptians came to see female hippopotami as less aggressive than the males, and began to view their aggression only as one of protecting their young and being good mothers, particularly since it is the males that are territorially aggressive. Consequently, Taweret became seen, very early in Egyptian history, as a deity of protection in pregnancy and childbirth. Pregnant women wore amulets with her name or likeness to protect their pregnancies. Her image could also be found on knives made from hippopotamus ivory, which would be used as wands in rituals to drive evil spirits away from mothers and children.

In most subsequent depictions, Taweret was depicted with features of a pregnant woman. In a composite addition to the animal-compound she was also seen with pendulous breasts, a full pregnant abdomen, and long, straight human hair on her head.

As a protector, she often was shown with one arm resting on the sa symbol, which symbolized protection, and on occasion she carried an ankh, the symbol of life, or a knife, which would be used to threaten evil spirits.

As the hippopotamus was associated with the Nile, these more positive ideas of Taweret allowed her to be seen as a goddess of the annual flooding of the Nile and the bountiful harvest that it brought. Ultimately, although only a household deity, since she was still considered the consort of Apep, Taweret was seen as one who protected against evil by restraining it.

When Set fell from grace in the Egyptian pantheon, as a result of being favoured by the unpopular Hyksos rulers, he gradually took over the position of Apep, as the god of evil. With this change away from Apep, Taweret became seen only as the concubine of Set. She was seen as concubine rather than wife, as Set already was married to the extremely different goddess, Nephthys, to whom no parallels could be drawn. It then was said that Taweret had been an evil goddess, but changed her ways and held Set back on a chain.

So I have to ask this question, does the reveal of the statue being Taweret give any semblance or meaning behind Jacob and his Nemesis (being called Esau by many of you)? Could Jacob and Esau be represented in Lost as some form of Apep and Set, dieties associated at times as the Gods of Evil? It seems obvious that Jacob "took" something from Esau in order for him to have such a desire to kill him, maybe it was the taking of his status as the God of Evil. It would certainly put an interesting spin on things, if both of them turned out to be some manifestation of this tale. Of course, that doesn't make much sense when we look at how Jacob was wearing white, as if the producers wanted us to realize he was a "good" guy, and he also seems to have a lot of faith in mankind as well, a trait I wouldn't expect to see in the God of Evil. But still, interesting none the less!

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: ABC Officially Reveals Statue's Identity.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://lost.cubit.net/cgi-bin/mt5/mttb_xyz2.cgi/997

zeekloveslost said:

@ Mrs. Widmore - Perhaps baby Ethan survived the same way that Claire's baby survived; conceived off island, but born on island. We didn't see Ethans parents conceive him.

Mrs. Widmore said:

SawyerLove: I agree! I've been wondering about that for a while. How did Ethan survive (that slimey worm) while other pregnancies were doomed?

A Better Tomorrow: I'm ready for more! You have me interested and wanting to hear more of your theory. This is a great one!

SawyerLove said:

voyager said:

In the 70s, in Dharmaville, Ethan is born. The statue isn't standing at that point. Which kinda makes the statue's fertility connection irrelevant. Does anyone agree?

A Better Tomorrow said:

Did you see the split-second preview for S6 after the credits on the finale? It's Jack's eyeball opening - exactly the same shot as the first scene of series way back in S1.

This tells me that S6 will start exactly where S1 did, with the survivors on the beach.

This time around, however, those in the vacinity of Juliet's flash (Juliet, Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Rose, Bernard...) will ALL have Desmond's powers. Remember where Desmond was when he got his powers? That's right - the flash in the hatch, sound familiar?

We now know Desmond's visions were echos of events that did take place, but since Desmond had the perspective of looking back (from the future) he was able to alter events in the present.

Remember how Desmond described his flashes as a puzzle but without having the box. So "the incident" survivors will have flashes of their experiences but not the whole picture.

What happens the first night on the island, when the mechanical sound echos through the jungle? Rose says, "something about that sounds very familiar".

When Jacob says they're coming, it's the angels that are coming. Yes, Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Jin, Sun, Hurley...the blessed ones are living angels.

Smokey took the damned, the pilot of 815, Eko...

Sorry, got to go. I'll explain how this ties into the statue later.

theejay said:

I've been lurking for awhile and this is my first post.

How about the under ground detonation of a hydrogen bomb causing an minor earth quake?

That possibly might bring a Statue down. :-)

voyager said:

What would be the time frame of the Statue's demise?
When the Statue was intact, were all pregnancies on the island successful? Then after the Statue was destroyed, were pregnancies Unsuccessful? Therefore all who stay on the island are doomed to be a dying race?
What caused the statue to crumble? And where did the pieces go? There are no remains of stone at it's base, carried away, blasted into oblivion??

Jas0n said:

I just really don't get it. I the statue is supposed to be Twaret, why does it have a crocodile mouth and no belly?

BadRobot64 said:

interesting...

norville said:

Seems like a pretty big screw-up if TPTB didn't intend it do be Taweret, but then ABC's recap goons confirm that it is. I don't think it looks much like her. But if we assume it is...

I really like how that informs the relationship between Jacob and his Nemesis. I like the fact that Taweret rules the day in place of Apep, who rules at night: that explains the black/white stuff. I like that Taweret rules above ground while Apep rules below ground: that explains the declivity & basement underneath the temple (which as we have seen is Smokey's domain), but we have yet to see the above-ground parts of the temple (which I believe to be Jacob's domain). I like Taweret's connection to childbirth, because I've thought for a while that the childbirth problems on the island were all tied up with Ben's Karma. Maybe women can't have children because Jacob is royally pissed off with Ben (which was only reinforced by his snubbing him at the end of the finale).

SawyerLove said:

Actually, looking at that statue again, it MIGHT be a hippo face. And I think there might be just the smallest peek of a breast too.
I've been wrong before, but darnit, I don't want to be wrong about THIS!

SawyerLove said:

I don't believe it. I think it's Sobek. Jacob's picture of the statue looks like a crocodile face. The side profile we saw of the statue looks like a crocodile. As others have already said here, the body is NOT Tawaret at all. So... I think ABC is 'tarded.

BobBX542 said:

Anyone going to Comic-con?? I don't even know when it is, but I have heard a lot of references to it lately, so I'm assuming it is soon. If the LOST guys are there, ask them.

nikarro said:

I am really more concerned with what the heck knocked her down!

Maxor127 said:

The thing is Jacob's illustration looks a lot like Sobek rather than Tawaret so I wouldn't be surprised if ABC is wrong. I can live with it being Sobek or Tawaret. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it matters.

Novashannon said:

I agree with Madame P. The set designers did a bad job on Tawaret, if it is she. The statue looks masculine, and fertility goddesses were usually shown pregnant and with large breasts.

I was thinking of Jacob and his adversary more as Set and Osiris, who was killed and rose from the dead.

Madam P said:

See, this is what I still have an issue with: as stated above --

So, as far as I'm concerned, if they want to say the statue is in fact Taweret, then the set designers (or CGI folks or whoever) have truly done the worst job in the history of Lost. P- poor job of depicting Taweret, in my opinion. If the body of that statue is that of a pregnant woman, I'll eat my hat.

So there. LOL.

tonysee200x said:

ABC recaps are not cannon.

just kidding..ha ha

BobBX542 said:

I never actually thought it was Tawret, but I knew it wasn't Anubis, so I'm going to half say I told you so to all of the people that said it was.

I tol...

See what I did there??

But here's the thing I'm wondering though. Where did ABC get this info?? We all know by now (I would hope) that certain things that ABC tells us aren't in line with what TPTB say. Such as the preview scenes of the episode where they were going to give us "the answer to one of LOST's biggest mysteries" and then just told us about Jack's tattoos. Or that the "enhanced episodes" were not 100% accurate because ABC writes all of that, and not the writers/producers of LOST.

So, is this another example of ABC taking liberties and messing with the vewers, or is this from TPTB and is 100% true??

rhythm said:

WEll, I'm glad that's settled. LOL

Sledgeweb's Lost ... Stuff Forum
April 19, 2014, 06:19:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

HOME   FORUM   Help Search Calendar Chat Podcast Login Register
Database Error
Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 5 queries.